The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Winchester 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seversk
How much of the course focused on theology? I don't enjoy theology, I'm studying it more because I want to learn about religions than because I want to learn about the ideas of a god.

When I was there there were more theology modules, in the required ones at least. You should have a look at their website or contact them, it also depends how much TRS you are doing, I did 75% which was a mistake, especially because they ended up changing some of the modules they said they would run quite late on. I did do New Religions, which I liked, and Philosophy of Religion was interesting, although a lot of that wasn't specially focussed on religion. I also enjoyed Liberation Theologies, which I hadn't expected to, but ended up getting my best module result in my whole degree for that! Holy Land Studies consisted mainly of the lecturer's holiday photos (no joke, that's all we did the the first six weeks, going through his slides) but it was the first time they had had to teach it in a lecture room, as usually it would be done actually in the Holy Land.

I can't remember off-hand anything else, but feel free to ask more questions if you think of any!
(edited 12 years ago)
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 81
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
When I was there there were more theology modules, in the required ones at least. You should have a look at their website or contact them, it also depends how much TRS you are doing, I did 75% which was a mistake, especially because they ended up changing some of the modules they said they would run quite late on. I did do New Religions, which I liked, and Philosophy of Religion was interesting, although a lot of that wasn't specially focussed on religion. I also enjoyed Liberation Theologies, which I hadn't expected to, but ended up getting my best module result in my whole degree for that! Holy Land Studies consisted mainly of the lecturer's holiday photos (no joke, that's all we did the the first six weeks, going through his slides) but it was the first time they had had to teach it in a lecture room, as usually it would be done actually in the Holy Land.

I can't remember off-hand anything else, but feel free to ask more questions if you think of any!

Thanks! I'm doing 50% Religious Studies/Theology. Actually, those theologies don't sound that bad! We've been doing things like Wittgenstein, Freud, Aquinas, etc., and it's been more philosophy-based than religion-based, which I didn't like so much. Thanks again! If I think of any I'll be sure to ask you.
Reply 82
ohh yes have an offer to study business at winchester. anyone else doing it or applying for it?
got an offer, asking for 320 points from 2 a2s, this enables me to use my a/s, anyone else in a similar boat?
Original post by Silver Aurora
got an offer, asking for 320 points from 2 a2s, this enables me to use my a/s, anyone else in a similar boat?

Presumably they mean 320 points from your mixture of A2's and AS's but that you need to have a certain number of points from your 2 x A2's? My daughter is in your boat, although she's already finished her exams (now on a gap year) and has 2 A2's and 2 AS's and an unconditional offer from Winchester. Does that help?
Original post by Winterbells
Presumably they mean 320 points from your mixture of A2's and AS's but that you need to have a certain number of points from your 2 x A2's? My daughter is in your boat, although she's already finished her exams (now on a gap year) and has 2 A2's and 2 AS's and an unconditional offer from Winchester. Does that help?

It states a pass of two A2s from what I can infer. Ah not really but I wish her the best of luck! Is she going to study Law?
It states a pass of two A2s from what I can infer. Ah not really but I wish her the best of luck! Is she going to study Law?

Hi. But it's not possible to get 320 points from two A2's, so that offer of yours is a bit confusing...

No, my daughter's applied for Eng Lang Studies, but is probably more likely to go to Hertford. Hope all goes well for you too.
Original post by Winterbells
Hi. But it's not possible to get 320 points from two A2's, so that offer of yours is a bit confusing...

No, my daughter's applied for Eng Lang Studies, but is probably more likely to go to Hertford. Hope all goes well for you too.

320 Points made up from at least 2 passed A2s and any As. I've got an As and I'm doing 3 A2s. Thank you and your daughter too.
320 Points made up from at least 2 passed A2s and any As. I've got an As and I'm doing 3 A2s. Thank you and your daughter too.

Ah. Now I get it, thanks :smile:
Reply 89
Anyone know when the post-application open days are?
Reply 90
Still waiting to hear something :frown: I know unis haven't gone back yet but I'm still feeling impatient...
Anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by codle
Still waiting to hear something :frown: I know unis haven't gone back yet but I'm still feeling impatient...
Anyone else in the same boat?

yep. two more unis to hear from including Winchester (1st choice) :biggrin:
Original post by Jabberwox

They told me there'd be info on this on their website in January. I haven't yet checked though.
Roughly what are the rankings like for this uni? They're hard to find on the internet! :frown:
Reply 94
Roughly what are the rankings like for this uni? They're hard to find on the internet! :frown:

I think Winchester is something like 65-70 on the league table, which isn't too bad :smile:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-league-table-2012
I think Winchester is something like 65-70 on the league table, which isn't too bad :smile:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-league-table-2012

Thank you :smile:

Anybody have any idea if the university is well recognised? :smile:

From their website:

Making a booking

Information on these events will be sent to applicants who are made an offer to study at Winchester and online booking will open in January. To receive an email alert when the booking system opens, please email [email protected] with 'Post Application Open Days' in the title.

If you have any queries regarding these events, please contact the Student Recruitment team at [email protected] or on 01962 827185.
Just got an interview through for Theatre Production. Nice one!
Reply 98
interview on monday, hope this weather doesn't muck up the trains
Reply 99
I'm waiting on Winchester for Primary Education. It's my first choice but I don't think the interview went very well.
Good luck to everyone waiting.

Quick Reply