Will Oxford (or other Unis) appreciate my efforts? :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
dawgnut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nicole_0009)
Guys, can I ask a question please. May not be in the right thread though! ...
I got 9A*s and 2As at gcse. A*AAAa* at A-Level. However, I got one D in a module in a subject. Is there any point in reapplying for Oxbridge or top london unis? I already have an offer at a top 5 uni...Any advice please?
thanks xx
How the hell did you get a* in As? lol

You do know there is a difference between just 90% and new A* grade right? :awesome:
Jarexi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
NO WAY are you gunna get an offer. Shocking grades and the fact you're taking a third year = no way.

My friends who got straight A's at A level in 4 subjects NO RETAKES - EVER did not get an offer. Just give up...seriiously.
Nicole_0009
Badges: 4
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RoadWarrior)
How have you already got A* at A level? I thought they were new for this year?
lol they are new. I just wrote them down as A*s rather than saying over 90% :P
Nicole_0009
Badges: 4
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jinru)
How the hell did you get a* in As? lol

You do know there is a difference between just 90% and new A* grade right? :awesome:
I know I know...I just wrote them down as A*s instead of saying over 90%! :P
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nicole_0009)
lol they are new. I just wrote them down as A*s rather than saying over 90% :P
ahh ok I think you would be mad to turn down the offer :p:
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Purbasha T)
Okay, guys thanks. I actually wanted to know about whether Unis have the right to ask me for A grades in modules for what exam boards aren't willing to award an A level certificate for. Not really sure if many figured that out (two of you did, and one said they do have the right, the other said they don't; lol). Anyways, thanks.
You chose to call your thread "will Oxford [...] appreciate my efforts?", so naturally that's the question people have been answering.:dontknow: The roundabout way in which you wrote your initial post didn't exactly help either.
The point that people are trying to make is that it's very likely that you won't need to worry about meeting an offer at all, because the odds aren't looking great (and it may be worth pointing out that this applies even to applicants whose chances haven't been hampered through retakes: 60-70% of the people who receive interviews will not go on to get offers).
Clearly you're convinced of your own ability, and you have every right to be, I suppose, because you're probably a better judge of what you're capable of than a bunch of people who have never even met you. So if you're determined to apply, by all means do so. But the fact remains that it's doubtful whether universities will value effort in and of itself, because what they're ultimately looking for isn't effort, it's achievement. Not to put too fine a point to it, your previous attempt to impress universities by taking a full A-level in Further Maths alongside your regular A2s and various AS retakes seems to have failed spectacularly, so you couldn't really blame them for being a bit sceptical about your application now.
Purbasha T
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
You chose to call your thread "will Oxford [...] appreciate my efforts?", so naturally that's the question people have been answering.:dontknow: The roundabout way in which you wrote your initial post didn't exactly help either.
The point that people are trying to make is that it's very likely that you won't need to worry about meeting an offer at all, because the odds aren't looking great (and it may be worth pointing out that this applies even to applicants whose chances haven't been hampered through retakes: 60-70% of the people who receive interviews will not go on to get offers).
Clearly you're convinced of your own ability, and you have every right to be, I suppose, because you're probably a better judge of what you're capable of than a bunch of people who have never even met you. So if you're determined to apply, by all means do so. But the fact remains that it's doubtful whether universities will value effort in and of itself, because what they're ultimately looking for isn't effort, it's achievement. Not to put too fine a point to it, your previous attempt to impress universities by taking a full A-level in Further Maths alongside your regular A2s and various AS retakes seems to have failed spectacularly, so you couldn't really blame them for being a bit sceptical about your application now.
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I failed last year because of the extra workload but this year, I don't have much of other stuff to worry about, so I'm more likely to make it as there are very few modules I'll have to do compared to last year's oness.

Actually all my retakes will be done by the end of January 2010. So after that, I'll have plenty of time till June. That's why I was wondering whether I should do some more modules to utilise that period of time in a useful way. That's when the thought of applying to Oxford came to my mind and also made me think of having a go at doing those extra modules, assuming it has a possiblity to impress Oxford or other unis by any chance.

And I know the grades are not the only thing they look at, the circumstances and also the entrace test score counts a lot. That's why I'm thinking of having a go. Also even if I don't make it (which is more likely), it's gonna be a good experience; just like the interview in Cambridge was. And if not; well, there are other options.

Thanks again.
Sephaeii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP - to be frank, whether or not Oxford may specify grades in additional modules is really the least of your worries in regard to your Oxford application as a whole.

Doing resits or taking a third year in sixth form does not automatically disqualify an applicant from having a chance at getting into Oxford - I've just done it. However, it does depend on the reasons behind your situation, and if you have sufficient mitigating circumstances to justify your results so far. Whether or not only recently coming to the country will 'count' I couldn't say, as I am not an admissions tutor. Perhaps you should email one and ask them?

The reason why people on this thread have latched on to the fact that applying for Oxford may be unwise, rather than your original question, is because this is far more important point to consider.

Good luck.
madima
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And also considering that English wasn't my first language and I was somewhere else all my life. And came here in UK just three years back, had to go through so much acclimatisation, language adjustment etc etc. C'mon man, some encouragement at least. :p:
play that card; mention it in your personal statement, make sure it gets mentioned in your reference and try to link it to poor exam performance (maybe saying that you scored better the second time round because of language improvements or something). with that and a high mark in the entrance exam, i honestly don't see a problem with your odds (assuming you're predicted AAA).
Purbasha T
(Original post by Sephaeii)
OP - to be frank, whether or not Oxford may specify grades in additional modules is really the least of your worries in regard to your Oxford application as a whole.
Actually my intention was to to cause some sort of good impression by telling the Unis that I'm doing these additional modules on my own. So I was just trying to figure out whether I'll be specified any grades in these. Because if they get impressed and also do not specify any grades, then my purpose would be served plus I wouldn't need to work that hard on those modules either.

(Original post by Sephaeii)
Doing resits or taking a third year in sixth form does not automatically disqualify an applicant from having a chance at getting into Oxford - I've just done it. However, it does depend on the reasons behind your situation, and if you have sufficient mitigating circumstances to justify your results so far. Whether or not only recently coming to the country will 'count' I couldn't say, as I am not an admissions tutor. Perhaps you should email one and ask them?

The reason why people on this thread have latched on to the fact that applying for Oxford may be unwise, rather than your original question, is because this is far more important point to consider.

Good luck.
Well, the thing is I'm no outsider to this world. And I also know how things work. I'm totally aware of the fact that my chance to get into Oxford is very bleak with those grades and with a third year in A levels. It's just that I'm trying my luck just the way so many others do. And most here failed to realise I never asked about what the chance of me getting in there is. And everyone just got on with it. But, anyways; no blaming from my side. Also maybe I wasn't able to summarise my question properly.

Thanks for the ''Good Luck''.
Purbasha T
(Original post by madima)
play that card; mention it in your personal statement, make sure it gets mentioned in your reference and try to link it to poor exam performance (maybe saying that you scored better the second time round because of language improvements or something). with that and a high mark in the entrance exam, i honestly don't see a problem with your odds (assuming you're predicted AAA).
You really do???? WOW! Thanks for the encouragement. And yes, I am predicted AAA (well, one A I got already; so AA :p:). Not sure whether my teacher is allowed to predict on the additional modules.
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
As someone who did further maths I can assure you that is the case. It's the only way it fits with 6th form length.
Jan Year 1 - AS maths.
June Year 1 - A2 maths.
Jan Year 2 - AS F. maths
June Year 2 -A2 F. maths

Even if people don't actually write the papers on those dates, that's basically the pattern of tuition.
At my school we did maths and further maths concurrently, with timetabled lessons in both. It did cause some difficulties with basic concepts we hadn't been taught yet though.
The_Red_Wedge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Encouragement isn't what you need, honesty is. And honestly, you probably don't have much chance.

It's a serious achievement to have accomplished all this given that you immigrated when you were relatively old. That said, Oxford would rather admit an English candidate with AAAA than a foreign one with ABCC (not because they're foreign, but because their grades are poorer).

You keep saying you're sure of straight As....I'm guessing you were at AS, right? You'd be much better off applying to other high-ranking unis. Sorry.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
So basically you've messed up your AS-levels, your AS-level resits and your A2-levels? Don't you think this might be a little bit too optimistic?:erm:
This basically.

And to directly answer your question, yes I'm sure they will appreciate your efforts but effort is not all they're interested in and your track record of exam results unfortunately shows a consistently low ability and aptitude for your subjects.

If you're still adamant about applying to Oxford and other very highly regarded universities, get your A-levels first and then if they're good enough, make an application then.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's obvious that you really, really want to apply to Oxford. I don't think that's the biggest issue- the biggest issue is that you obviously care about applying to Oxford. I'm someone that will, in almost all cases, say 'go for it' because that's exactly what I'm doing. I have ABB which is also poor in terms of Oxford standards, but I'm taking two new A-levels which I'm predicted As in and so I'm giving it a shot. I don't think I'm going to get in at all, I really don't, but I'd rather apply and get rejected than spend the rest of my life going 'what if?' (even if consciously I pretty much know what the outcome would have been).

So apply and get rejected. Just try not to take it to heart and make sure that you've got four other choices that you'd be happy to go to. I say this because, by the sounds of things, you're not going to be happy if you don't apply at all. Yeah, maybe you don't have much of a chance, but despite people telling you this over and over again, you still sound enthusiastic about applying. So why not? Applying to university is a very personal thing, and if you feel that you'll have a missed opportunity by not applying and consequently getting rejected, go for it. I mean it.
Purbasha T
(Original post by llacerta)
It's obvious that you really, really want to apply to Oxford. I don't think that's the biggest issue- the biggest issue is that you obviously care about applying to Oxford. I'm someone that will, in almost all cases, say 'go for it' because that's exactly what I'm doing. I have ABB which is also poor in terms of Oxford standards, but I'm taking two new A-levels which I'm predicted As in and so I'm giving it a shot. I don't think I'm going to get in at all, I really don't, but I'd rather apply and get rejected than spend the rest of my life going 'what if?' (even if consciously I pretty much know what the outcome would have been).

So apply and get rejected. Just try not to take it to heart and make sure that you've got four other choices that you'd be happy to go to. I say this because, by the sounds of things, you're not going to be happy if you don't apply at all. Yeah, maybe you don't have much of a chance, but despite people telling you this over and over again, you still sound enthusiastic about applying. So why not? Applying to university is a very personal thing, and if you feel that you'll have a missed opportunity by not applying and consequently getting rejected, go for it. I mean it.
Thanks and that's just what my thinking process was upto now and will always be too. Exactly, no point leaving any stones unturned. Good luck to you, too. Who knows! We both might be classmates from next year :woo: (assuming you're applying for Maths too). Cheers.....Oxford! Here we come. :p:
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, the thing is I'm no outsider to this world. And I also know how things work. I'm totally aware of the fact that my chance to get into Oxford is very bleak with those grades and with a third year in A levels. It's just that I'm trying my luck just the way so many others do. And most here failed to realise I never asked about what the chance of me getting in there is. And everyone just got on with it. But, anyways; no blaming from my side. Also maybe I wasn't able to summarise my question properly.

Thanks for the ''Good Luck''.
Your English is excruciatingly bad.
Purbasha T
(Original post by flugestuge)
Your English is excruciatingly bad.
I would say: ''Please leave the premises if picking on my typing mistakes is all you can indulge yourself into. Please spend your precious time in a better way. Thank you''

But actually I wanna say: ''Get the **** outta here, if you have no business other than getting on with my typos. Get a ******* Life! Thank you''
Laconic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say: ''Please leave the premises if picking on my typing mistakes is all you can indulge yourself into. Please spend your precious time in a better way. Thank you''

But actually I wanna say: ''Get the **** outta here, if you have no business other than getting on with my typos. Get a ******* Life! Thank you''
Right. Well, although flugestuge's point may seem harsh to you, it is very valid. A large component of any UCAS application is the personal statement, and the largest individual component of any Oxford application is surely the interview.

Based on what we've seen here, your personal statement will not be of the best quality, and - if in an interview situation you find yourself unable to answer or queried about your academic record - it appears that you'll reel off a long list of excuses before telling the interviewer to "Get a F Life!", whatever the hell that's meant to mean.

I think you should listen to your own advice and find a life for yourself outside of Oxford, because what everybody in this topic has told you is that you will not get an offer. The university is very rigorous at taking extenuating circumstances into account, but I don't think any of your excuses qualify as extenuating. You didn't do a Maths Olympiad because it was too far to travel. Fair enough, it's a semi-valid reason not to have gone, but it doesn't make up for the fact you now don't have that award.

You don't seem to realise that the vast majority of the advice being offered here is constructive and helpful. Nobody is calling you an idiot, your grades are still relatively strong, but they are not strong enough for Oxbridge Maths, when an overwhelmingly large proportion of candidates enter with AAA(Aa) or more, with STEP, Olympiad's and more.

I really do think it's time to move on. Don't waste one of your choices on Oxford, and spend less time thinking about your chances and more time on getting your grades to top university standard. Good luck!
madima
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Laconic)
I think you should listen to your own advice and find a life for yourself outside of Oxford, because what everybody in this topic has told you is that you will not get an offer.
lolz that made me laugh. it's like you're implying that tsr members are the gods. if this guy gets over 90% in his entrance exam and gets dismissed as fast as some of you think, i would honestly lose hope in the admissions system.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.7%
No - but I will (105)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise