Student Kills Burglar with Katana Watch

Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hah, good on him. I hope he doesn't get convicted either provided it was self defence. Some idiot coming out of jail going back to burgalry deserves to die though in my opinion.
Kalashnikov
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Would have done the same thing. Maybe not kill him though. Just prevent him from moving till the police arrive, probably just wound his leg or something.
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyway, the burglar had probably spotted the sword and was lunging for that. And with a few students in the area having recently been killed by burglars, then it's sad but not too surprising that someone ended up killed here.
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Call me sick, and you can neg rep me if you want but I've got no sympathy for the burglar. This criminal broke into a private property with the intention to steal, it's fair game to retaliate. A katana is obviously OTT though but the student was probably in a state of panic. A baseball bat would've sufficed.
Tuppenny
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kalashnikov)
Would have done the same thing. Maybe not kill him though. Just prevent him from moving till the police arrive, probably just wound his leg or something.
Y'see, this is what worries me about stories like this, because I know that if someone broke into my house and I was a) terrified and b) had a knife within reach, I think it entirely possible that I could accidentally do serious damage when all I meant to do was incapacitate them so I could get the hell out of there. I would have no clue what I was doing.

Without knowing what happened it's difficult to comment, but if all the student did was panic and try and defend himself, it would be a very sad case if he was convicted. That would be two lives ruined.
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Fact ~ Someone is in your house
Fact ~ You do not know that person
Fact ~ You don't know why the person is there
Fact ~ You don't know the intentions of that person
Fact ~ You don't know what the intruder is capable of
Fact ~ You don't know if that person has a weapon

People can say the criminal didn't deserve this or that but the FACT is you don't know what his full intentions and capabilities where. What if he was there with the full intent to commit murder while everyone was asleep? I sure as hell don't know! And I sure as hell would not take that chance.

You try and harm me or a loved one in MY HOME...Nope. Ain't happening.
CrazyPyramid
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The burglar was a sod and deserved jail. He did not however, deserve to die. The kid should get some form of punishment.
S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He was a prolific criminal though. He chose to live a criminal lifestyle and must be prepared to face the consequences. It's karma.
User237126
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
daaaayum! *packs bags and moves the **** over to america*
joey11223
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
people are blaming the kid for killing the guy and not incapacitating him but when a burglar is lunging at you your not exactly going to be thinking logically... "hmm, he might have a knife or gun and he's coming at be, I better be sure I only cause a flesh wound and don't severe an artery with this sword right near me.". Your just going to react in a split second and take the guy down, he probably swung a few times, one got the guy's hand, one got the guys neck. Your basically fighting for your life, I wouldn't be surprised if most people would keep hitting when the guy went down because your instinct just takes over.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doesn't the US have laws against torturing burglars?

It's either a head-shot or nothing.
Dann785
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done that guy! If i had someone break into my house I'd like to think I'd grab something like the pool cue i have in my room (that i use to play pool with... it isn't one that is there "just in case" ) I'd aim to knock him the **** out and if I killed him it'd be by accident BUT if he's IN my home with the intent of stealing MY hard earned stuff... he deserves whatever he gets, he knows the risks and I have NO sympathy for him! What should i do naive people of TSR? Do you suggest; just sitting there and ******** myself? OR better still; help them load the car and wave goodbye?

His family however i would have sympathy for; nobody should have to go through the loss of a loved one through a violent act, but it would have been the burgler's fault, no-one elses!
paella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yet another reason I'm going to live in America someday
Chrrye
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bobo1234)
daaaayum! *packs bags and moves the **** over to america*
But not to burgle one presumes..
BlocFFC
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest, if a burglar came into anyone of our hall rooms/flats, I think we'd all hit him/her with a weapon.
spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Luca118)
Self defence laws in the UK are a laughing stock to be honest.
Pure ignorance passed off as knowledge. Actually the self defense laws in this country protect you very well in situations like these. Katanas are illegal anyway here though so you would run into trouble for that, but killing a burglar shouldn't even land you in court.

(Original post by foxo)
I can't believe how many people support the murder of an unarmed man committing a petty crime. With four people present there is absolutely no way that any of their lives were at any point endangered, they could have quite easily incapacitated him and phoned the police. This is not a case of reasonable self-defence, this is utterly ludicrous.
Ask yourself just what the **** would be running through your mind when you're woken up in the dead of night and confronted by a hulking man with malice in his eyes and a balaclava over his face coming at you. If you had the coherence of thought enough to say, hmm "force but not too much force" then you're a better man than most. A death is tragic and all, but i draw the line at feeling sorry for somebody who breaks into my home at night with unknown but malevolent motivations. Describing it as murder is just stupid and it's quite naive to assume that none of the students lives were endangered. He could have been carrying anything. I'd rather not take the chance wrestling with someone who might have all kinds of **** up his sleeves when i've got a katana in my hand.
neco101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Student probably didn't mean to kill him - he was defending himself and his property; he is in the right!
Major Spoiler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't see how you can sever someone's hand and slice them in the neck without having swung for them twice.

Nonetheless, in my opinion if you willingly break the law and try to take what doesn't belong to you, you can't expect that the owner will definitely obey the law in defending their stuff/themself.
User237126
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chrrye)
But not to burgle one presumes..
Haha most certainly not...

But I might partake in a little vigilante burglar killing
:mwuaha:
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think with a sword as sharp as this it might be possible to do it in one swing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise