Who should go on the questiontime panel with nick griffin? Watch

The_Octopus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
IIRC the 3 main parties are bringing their big guns to this one, to make sure Griffin doesn't have a chance of appearing to win any debate.

I'd like-

Labour - Tony Benn/Alan Johnson, but don't mind too much

Tory - Not sure, Hague probably, Hannan would be good to make sure there is some debate that is not Griffin vs everyone else

Lib Dem - Vince Cable (of course), maybe Clegg/Huhne

Other - Christopher Hitchens, since I don't really want to see a comedian having to try and slide a joke into a debte about racism
Kerny
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Griffin shouldn't be on in the first place. Just because he's got a hopeless chance of 'winning' a formal debate, doesn't mean it will lose him support. He doesn't give much anyway and is quick to dodge around questions. It's difficult to truly make an example of him on TV and it's better to just deny him a platform in the first place.
Voluntas Mos Victum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kerny)
Griffin shouldn't be on in the first place. Just because he's got a hopeless chance of 'winning' a formal debate, doesn't mean it will lose him support. He doesn't give much anyway and is quick to dodge around questions. It's difficult to truly make an example of him on TV and it's better to just deny him a platform in the first place.
How democratic.
Isobutane
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
You underestimate Nick Griffin, I, and many other people feel that he is only of the greatest debaters in modern politics. He would run rings around the majority of other politicians. You make him out to be incapable of debating, but he can certainly hold his own.

The problem is, you must appreciate it's difficult to debate when you've got a whole panel and the whole audience ganging up on you. The BBC is incapable of civilised debate, it is simply let's throw childish insults at Nick Griffin and not give him a chance to speak.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nick Clegg and Chris Huhne of the Lib Dems have said they would - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090920...p-6323e80.html
The_Octopus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Isobutane)
You underestimate Nick Griffin, I, and many other people feel that he is only of the greatest debaters in modern politics. He would run rings around the majority of other politicians. You make him out to be incapable of debating, but he can certainly hold his own.

The problem is, you must appreciate it's difficult to debate when you've got a whole panel and the whole audience ganging up on you. The BBC is incapable of civilised debate, it is simply let's throw childish insults at Nick Griffin and not give him a chance to speak.
It is not the BBC's fault that Nick Griffin's ideas are so bigoted and foolish that everyone with a brain thinks he's an idiot and wants to argue argue against him. Calling someone who is a racist bigot "a racist bigot" is not a childish insult. It only seems that way because Nick Griffin is something that reasonable people would feel insulted by if called it.
Kickflip
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has vowed to "take on" the BNP if they are invited by the BBC to take part in the Question Time programme.

"If the BBC ask one of these fascist thugs who have been elected to the European Parliament on to one of their flagship programmes, I want us to be there to take them on," he said to loud applause.
http://www.hillingdontimes.co.uk/uk_...to_BNP/?ref=mr
People vote for the BNP, with the whole media and establishment attacking them, because they believe in what they do, people vote for the LibDems because they aren't Labour or the Tories. Griffin would have Clegg for breakfast, lunch and tea.

Who is lightweight nobody Clegg anyway? He's the Yellow Blair to match the Cameron Blue Blair. The LibLabCon inflatable politicians have missed a bandwagon or two since the mid nineties.
MaceyThe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Labour: Tony Benn, Alan Johnson, Jon Cruddas, Frank Field - these people are some of the few respectable Labour politicians left, and I think that any would be a solid choice to attack Griffin.
Conservatives: Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, Dan Hannan, William Hague - again, well respected and highly intelligent Conservative politicians.
Lib Dems: Vince Cable - no question at all. Vince is the most convincing debater within the Lib Dems, and I'm confident that he would completely dismantle Griffin.
Journalist/Media figure: Johann Hari, Quentin Letts, Christopher or Peter Hitchens, Jeremy Clarkson, Ian Hislop - the first two are some of the most erudite journalists in British media, the last two are public favourites with a staunch dislike of the BNP, despite being highly respected in the conservative community. Either of the Hitchens brothers would be great, as well.
And, of course, Nick Griffin

I would love a panel that was near to that arrangement.

Jeremy Paxman would be great, but he's a much better interviewer than a debater. I would LOVE a debate on Newsnight between Paxo and Griffin .
Already happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCt5C...eature=related

Enjoy!
CLEE_F
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i like mr. griffin he's an excellent leader and will be the best pm everh (if he can stop being ractist!)
micky022
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CLEE_F)
i like mr. griffin he's an excellent leader and will be the best pm everh (if he can stop being ractist!)
Fool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads