Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    Sometimes Glass Glitters More Than Diamonds Because It Has More To Prove - Terry Pratchett
    Terry Pratchett has some great quotes. My favourite:

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom"

ReputationRep:
    'Language is the best show man puts on' Whorf

'People that believe they are clever think they know many things when they know nothing, but I only know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. That is what makes me clever.' Socrates

ReputationRep:
    Mother-in-Law to my father: "Did you miss me?"
    Father, under his breath, "Yep, but I'm, reloading now."

About ten seconds ago. Made me spray coffee on my bed. Not nice.

"Pride is all very well, but a sausage is a sausage."
    Gaspode

ReputationRep:
    "Ah, divorce. The Latin word meaning to rip a man's genitals out through his wallet"

ReputationRep:
    "The following tale of alien encounter is true. By true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no."

ReputationRep:
    "I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like born-agains dig jesus and like jesus dug guys!"

ReputationRep:
    'Sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences' - Robert Louis Stevenson

ReputationRep:
    Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

ReputationRep:
    'I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity'
    'I speak two languages, English & Body'
    'There is no such thing as a virgin, life ***** us all'

ReputationRep:
    there's no such thing as winning or losing; only won or lost. anything in between is everything to play for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J4ME5)
    God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
    my favorite is from a Chuck Palanuik book as well.

“To stand here and try to fix her life is just a big waste of time. People don’t want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown.”

ReputationRep:
    :five: to all those who chose Douglas Adams quotes.

My favourite is:

"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -Douglas Adams

close second...

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
    -Douglas Adams

ReputationRep:
    ''Thank God you're here, Grandma's been raped.''

Without a doubt one of the best quotes of modern times.

ReputationRep:
    The greatest discoveries of Science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it.

Beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    O
    my
    god

ReputationRep:
    "I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Mark Twain

Although also, this one is great:

"After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with colour, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked -- as I am surprisingly often -- why I bother to get up in the mornings. To put it the other way round, isn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be a part of it?"

Richard Dawkins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    ''Thank God you're here, Grandma's been raped.''

Without a doubt one of the best quotes of modern times.
    Where is that from. I want to watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonoDrew)
    Where is that from. I want to watch.
    Summer Heights High.
    (Actually an Australian comedy mockumentary and not a crappy American teen soap, even though the name sounds like one.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    And people say that religion doesn't brainwash people :p:

I love the part when he says if we were made of DNA then we'd dissolve.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.