OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics, Monday 7th June. Watch

senator88
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by annadominey)
well OCR is tomorrow but AQA might be aswell, i don't know. Go on the AQA website to see them exam calendar...
It's very disconcerting that you don't know the spec or board you're doing, how do you know what to revise? Also, it's written all over the textbooks which board they are specifically written for. If you don't know because you haven't been told then i'd hav a major go at the teachers if I were you. However if it's you being slack then you deserve everything that's coming to you...
theres no need to be harsh, calm down! haha, i only asked :P. i know what to revise because of what i have learnt in class. and no i am not stupid in the slightest i only asked because my exams are all of different boards and i could not remember what philosophy was. that was it. so im very sorry for annoying you so much? bye.
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How many words do you think is sufficient for a part A question?..
Walshey-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay can someone help me out please, Im currently revising Aristole (as he's likely to come up), for answering say: Explain Aristole's Four Causes / explain aristoles cause and effect' how would you go about it?

thanks
willyman101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't really know how I could get 25 marks just off Anselm's arguement... I am sure I'd have to talk about at least Guanilo...

anyway, i need a bit of help. I have no idea how to interpret nor answer part Bs really. Can anyone give me some tips?
Simplyobsessed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in a terrible mood and snapping at anyone who talks to me, and cramming loads... it's definitely an exam night
Walshey-
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by willyman101)
I don't really know how I could get 25 marks just off Anselm's arguement... I am sure I'd have to talk about at least Guanilo...

anyway, i need a bit of help. I have no idea how to interpret nor answer part Bs really. Can anyone give me some tips?
For Ontological I would:
-Introduction (what argument does, Anselm's argument is just to justify his belief'.
-First form of argument
-Gaunilos critisms.
-Anselms response (Island is contigent, relies on something, uncomparable as god isnt contigent)
-Second Form
-Kant Critism (exsistance is not a predicate)
-Overall sum up of argument (termimolgy already flawed, no empircal experience, god is a spirtital being etc. Plus you get get some AO2 marks here as well.

For part b. say, 'descartes version of the argument adds nothing new to the argument' dicscuss
- introduce concept of question.
- say for points
- elaborate on to agaisnt points
- then sum up with a conclusion.
willyman101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Walshey-)
For Ontological I would:
-Introduction (what argument does, Anselm's argument is just to justify his belief'.
-First form of argument
-Gaunilos critisms.
-Anselms response (Island is contigent, relies on something, uncomparable as god isnt contigent)
-Second Form
-Kant Critism (exsistance is not a predicate)
-Overall sum up of argument (termimolgy already flawed, no empircal experience, god is a spirtital being etc. Plus you get get some AO2 marks here as well.

For part b. say, 'descartes version of the argument adds nothing new to the argument' dicscuss
- introduce concept of question.
- say for points
- elaborate on to agaisnt points
- then sum up with a conclusion.
But for the part A it only asks about Anselm. You wouldn't talk about Kant or Guanilo because that's evaluation. I'm highly dubious I could get 25 marks just on Anselm and Descartes...
Simplyobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I bet Ontological doesn't even come up, even tho we all know it really well because it hasn't come up yet :p:
Simplyobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The best questions for me would be:

- Anselm's Ontological
- Paley's Teleological
- Aristotle's 4 Causes and Prime Mover
- Plato's Forms (No chance of that! He was in the last two exams :p: )

Although I wouldn't mind Augustine either.

For Ethics, i'm hoping for "Explain the Natural Law theory"
Beckiii_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For the ontological argument in a part a question, i would not make any reference to gaunilo or any criticisms.
I would firstly talk about anselm trying to prove God exists, then his argument attempting to prove God's existence is necessary. I would then go on to talk about Descartes, Malcom's development of Anselm's second argument and then possibly Plantinga's argument.
Beckiii_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Walshey-)
Okay can someone help me out please, Im currently revising Aristole (as he's likely to come up), for answering say: Explain Aristole's Four Causes / explain aristoles cause and effect' how would you go about it?

thanks
Introduction; introduce aristotle as an ancient greek philosopher, and as the student of Plato. Mention, however, that his views differed to Plato's in that Aristotle believed that explaining what is in this world is more important than discussing other worlds.

Then go on to say that he believed that things are caused to exist on four different levels. Explain the causes with examples, such as a chair or table. ( Material cause; wood, efficient cause; carpenter, formal cause; four legs, flat surface etc., final cause; to allow people to sit comfortably/ to create a surface upon which people can eat)

Next, state that as well as finding causes for things in the world, Aristotle was interested in the cause if the world itself. Then go on to talk about the Prime mover ( uncaused cause, unmoved mover, perfect, transcendent, created the world without knowledge of it etc.)
MaddyGee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm pretty certain I'm gonna flop Ethics, but I've got to the stage where I just don't care

I've missed out two topics, so I really hope they don't come up in the exam. That would be bad.
Simplyobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good luck everyone

3 Hours. 3 HOURS. 3 F****** HOURS :eek3: :eek3:
senator88
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ive got to the point where i dont care. i dont know anything. FAIL
good luck to the rest of you though!
Disconfigured
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate you all.
I took this exam TWICE wanting Ontological to come up..
And what happened?! IT CAME UP! Along with Moral.. I would have aced that exam... Arghhh.
BigGalty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ONTOLOGY CAME UP!
I was very happy when I saw that. I did that + Prime Mover question for Philosophy, and the first two questions on the Ethics paper.
What/how did everyone else do?
Simplyobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For Ethics I did the difference between absolutism / relativism and Kant's approach to everyone has a right to a child.

For Philosophy: Ontological and Freud/Moral awareness
Simplyobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hope I got an A in both!
Simplyobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
WTF was that design question? I didn't know what it was on about? I stayed well clear
Pepsimax93
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplyobsessed)
For Ethics I did the difference between absolutism / relativism and Kant's approach to everyone has a right to a child.

For Philosophy: Ontological and Freud/Moral awareness

Hey what kinda things did you include in the right to a child thingy ;]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (43)
44.79%
Pro-humanity (53)
55.21%