Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't take public positions on cartoonistry. I waste my time in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kralizec)
    Wrong.

It is wrong to deliberately perform an action for the purpose of offending and angering others.

And that's not what this protest is about.

The mere fact that it will cause anger and offence is not sufficient reason not to do it.

Arguing for women's rights no doubt offends and angers some people. Does that mean we shouldn't do it?
    I think the motivation of the actions is the most important factor, and concede that I may have misphrased my earlier post on this point - your phrasing is more in line with what I meant;

"It is wrong to deliberately perform an action for the sole purpose of offending and angering others"

For example, the thread titled "Muslims need not enter! Your muhammad pics post em here!" here on TSR - what's that about, other than trying to anger others and inflame the situation? That's the sort of thing I disagree with - not people with a larger agenda, such as the women's rights example you provide.

ReputationRep:
    I don't because I don't see there to be any need of begging someone to ban or ditch some group. Why ask please? No thanks I'll pass.
    The more you Muslims/Non-Muslims make fuss about it the longer its gonna flash around the media and more consequences to deal with.Then comes the part where Muslims like ME get stamped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Are you going to answer me on whether you find depictions of Jesus to be offensive?
    Yes,but its you who is going to be answerable to him for you are his follower~Again ***** upon you-You take him to be the Son of God,yet you can't do anything to protect his honour~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spread_logic_not_hate)
    back to you - you've got a point here, people should respect your religion and the wishes of its followers, just as the followers should respect those who do not follow it.

Death threats because of a cartoon, however insulting, are unjustified.

Responding to those threats by repeating the insulting action is also unjustified

Let's all grow up a bit, shall we?
    Why don't you get off your high horse and take a look at the bigger picture.

Depictions of Muhammad, whether positive or negative, are now effectively banned from mainstream media.

This is a result of violence and intimidation from extremists.

If the extremists had been killing homosexuals and the homosexuals responded with a Gay Pride parade would you criticise them and say they should instead be less obvious about their sexuality to avoid causing offence?

There is no essential difference. It's about showing that we won't be bullied and intimidated into self censorship.

There are literally thousands of comments, jokes and images broadcast each day which cause offence to millions of people around the world. That isn't a sufficient reason to censor them and that is not why Muhammad is being censored now.

10 years ago he could be shown on TV with no repurcussions. No one bothered about offending Muslims any more than they bothered about offending any other religion.

It's only when they got violent that the censorship happened.

The extremists resorted to death threats, assault and murder. And it worked.

ReputationRep:
    Hey it was either draw Mohamed and insult islam, or draw tom cruise and insult scientology.
    And i dont want to insult them, they're complete wackos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Everyone has something important they'd rather not have spoken about/ depicted, but if we pandered to everyone we'd have absolutely no freedom of speech whatsoever. We are now stuck in the position that Islam is above criticism, when it is the most morally reprehensible religion on the face of the planet. I'm sure Christians don't like the almost constant piss taking, but thankfully they aren't violent.
    I'm of course completely for freedom of speech and think that is really important. However, I don't think there's any reason to offend someone just to prove that we have freedom of speech. Just because you are allowed to say whatever you want doesn't mean that you should.

To me, and probably most other people that aren't muslims, it doesn't matter much if we do or don't draw Muhammed but for them it's really important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spread_logic_not_hate)
    I think the motivation of the actions is the most important factor, and concede that I may have misphrased my earlier post on this point - your phrasing is more in line with what I meant;

"It is wrong to deliberately perform an action for the sole purpose of offending and angering others"

For example, the thread titled "Muslims need not enter! Your muhammad pics post em here!" here on TSR - what's that about, other than trying to anger others and inflame the situation? That's the sort of thing I disagree with - not people with a larger agenda, such as the women's rights example you provide.
    I agree completely with that but that's not what this protest was supposed to be about.

Attacking the protest because of the actions of a few racists is no different from attacking Islam for the actions of terrorists and extremists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fridaystan)
    I'm of course completely for freedom of speech and think that is really important. However, I don't think there's any reason to offend someone just to prove that we have freedom of speech. Just because you are allowed to say whatever you want doesn't mean that you should.

To me, and probably most other people that aren't muslims, it doesn't matter much if we do or don't draw Muhammed but for them it's really important.

I don't think people were originally doing it to offend them, but many are now so fed up with being threatened that there is no other way. If they don't like it they can live in the 1/3 of the planet they have already ruined with their savagery.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people were originally doing it to offend them, but many are now so fed up with being threatened that there is no other way. If they don't like it they can live in the 1/3 of the planet they have already ruined with their savagery.
    You had almost wipped out half the planet in world war 1 and 2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan3909)
    Yes,but its you who is going to be answerable to him for you are his follower~Again ***** upon you-You take him to be the Son of God,yet you can't do anything to protect his honour~
    No, I don't think he is the son of God - I'm not a Christian. Why are you not "protect[ing] his honour" like you do for Muhammad?

ReputationRep:
    Every religion, and in fact EVERYTHING, gets taken the piss out of, especially by comedians. Why should Islam be any different? Grow up and stop being so over-sensitive about these things. Family Guy constantly rips the piss out of Christianity and Jews are universally derided and mocked for being money-obsessed etc, and yet some Muslims are throwing hissy-fits and blowing themselves up over people drawing mere pictures of their equivalent of Jesus? Get a sense of perspective for God's sake. (Whichever one you/your parents choose that you worship)

ReputationRep:
    No.

What are you afraid of? The truth should be able to handle criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    The reason it started was because south park had a really small and unoffensive part in their show which had the prophet mohammed in it. Queue hundreds of muslim death threats and they then announced they cut that part from the show. The fans didn't like the show being censored and created a group to show that muslims can't simply censor things they don't like.

People draw silly pictures of Jesus all the time, yet most christians don't get worked up about it and offended, they simply ignore it. That's what you should be doing, giving such a negative reaction just motivates some unsavoury people to keep on doing it, because they know it offends you so much.
    seriously? this is all over south park?!! :lol: south park was made to make fun out of everything and everyone. theres no reason to get worked up about it

problem is op, islam has many many followers. a small minority do stupid stuff like complaining about this sort of thing and that makes all Muslims look bad. Dont get worked up about it. Theyre just looking for a reaction.

i stil cant believe this is still about south park :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    You're terrified of people drawing random things and calling them Muhammed.

Lol that's ridiculous, should it be a new sort of phobia?
    how would you feel if I started drawing pictures of your mum with a bomb on her turban and looking like a slut ?

or if I burned the Union Jack ?

ReputationRep:
    I support this. The word please is enough. People are taking terrorism to extremes, there are extremists in all groups. I can't do much about it, yes it upsets me. Im going to ask politely for people not to do it but if they believe they must and their lives become better by doing it then thats up to them. Violence doesn't really result in anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kralizec)
    I agree completely with that but that's not what this protest was supposed to be about.

Attacking the protest because of the actions of a few racists is no different from attacking Islam for the actions of terrorists and extremists.
    I'm not attacking the protest, i'm attacking those who protest for the sake of protesting - simply to 'stir the pot', and who make it about attacking others. I bet hardly anyone who drew mohammed did so truly
    to champion free speech!

It's like the idiots who jumped on the Ross/Brand scandal - most of those 'offended' didn't even hear the thing when it first broadcast!

We shouldn't allow our freedom of speech to be eroded by others. I agree totally; my point was that in this particular issue, couldn't people just respect that drawing mohammed was going to anger people and, despite having the freedom to do so, exercise restraint and choose not to?

That sort of restraint occurs in everyday life - you have a conversation with someone and refrain from telling them things that you could do, simply to avoid upsetting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan3909)
    You had almost wipped out half the planet in world war 1 and 2!

Who is 'you'. I didn't say Christians are above going to war with each other, but the day to day conduct of Islamic countries makes me sick. The whole point of drawing mohammed isn't to offend you, it's to show you that you don't make the rules in this country. The rules have already been made, and we've been living by them for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Who is 'you'. I didn't say Christians are above going to war with each other, but the day to day conduct of Islamic countries makes me sick. The whole point of drawing mohammed isn't to offend you, it's to show you that you don't make the rules in this country. The rules have already been made, and we've been living by them for a long time.
    This is a fantastic post. I'm very very impressed

...post in D&D...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    No.

What are you afraid of? The truth should be able to handle criticism.
    Exactly my argument as to why Catholics don't get enraged when a picture of Jesus pops up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2010
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.