Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could someone actually explain momentum to me i kind get it, but each example i see theres always something different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    yeah chemistry on wednesday , phyics on friday :woo:
    i only have chemistry to do *on wednesday too*. just need to learn about the 4 mark questions that they like to ask: like giant covalent structures lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bshears)
    i think the asnwer was insulin (part C) because insulin is a protein and ribosomes synthesise proteins??
    Yeah, that's what I put too, just noticed the large amount of ribosomes and though "why not" ..

ReputationRep:
    last question was 44! it said it in the table and when cells divide by mitosis the new cells have the same number of chromosomes as before

ReputationRep:
    I'm really scared about bio. It wasn't that I didn't revise, I knew everything but it was applying the knowledge and I can't do that I really hope they lower the grade boundaries. Last year you needed a 245 UMS mark overall out of 360 for the A* so hopefully it'll be that low this year aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil12)
    Carbon compounds are proteins, carbohydrates and fats
    Paper was easy
    your answers aren't write! Proteins are amino acids, carbohydrates are sugars and fats are fatty acids and glycerol!

ReputationRep:
    I do not think I did very well. I revised very hard but it was about interpreting the questions properly and making sure you knew what you were required to do. Very frustrating...
    I know I have dropped quite a few marks.

Then on the photosynthesis question: I put that two control variabbles are amount of water and amount of pondweed and that the first limiting factor was temp. and then from 40-50 (or whatever the numbers were), it was CO2.

On the temp. question, I got the sweat glands question wrong because I put the opposite to what was correct. But on the others, I think I got them right - blood vessels constrict and this means less blood reaches the skin so less heat is lost by radiation.

On the lactase/milk question, I think I did well. For the first question, on the bottom of the left-hand page, I put that enzymes produced in the stomatch usually work best in acidic conditions and the lactase works best at pH8 (from the table) and so that is why it is unlikely to have been made in the stomach. I said that bile emulsifies fats and also creates the alkaline conditions in the small intestine that the enzymes there, such as lactase, work best at. The question describing the temperature was easy - all about rising and then rate falling because enzyme becoming denatured.

I got the calculation questions wrong on the sankey diagram but got the written questions right on that page - two ways of energy use = keeping a constant body tempertaure and growth. I said that herbivores use less energy through respiration because not moving around as much and carnivores may be catching prey so more energy used through movement. For inside farming, I put that it reduces energy losses by restricting movement and keeping a constant temperature inside so less heat lost, trying to keep a constant body temp.

On the meiosis question, I put C but I am starting to think it may be B. I said that the function of DNA is to code for different characteristics through different bases. A sequence of three bases codes for a particular amino acid and then different amino acids make different proteins, therefore causing variation!?

On the chromosome questions at the end, I mucked them up as made stupid mistakes.

On urea questions, I put it is produced in the Liver, released by the Kidney and made from the breakdown of excess amino acids.

Oh yes, and also on the cell question, I chose B. I said it was adapted for diffusion because it had more air holes/stomata for the gases to diffuse in and out of. I said a useful substance produced in the pancreas is lipase. Btw, for anyone who put protease in the previoius comments, that is wrong I think because protease is produced in the stomach and the small intestine (I may be wrong though!).

Interested to see what people think of my answers and what they put themselves.
    Thanks, Freddie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evaxxxx1234)
    your answers aren't write! Proteins are amino acids, carbohydrates are sugars and fats are fatty acids and glycerol!
    No offence, but are you stupid? xD You just said it yourself, CARBON COMPOUNDS, you are saying they would accept starch and sugar as an answer? Wow, you don't have to specify what they are made of, if you don't know that carbohydrates, fats and proteins make up the body of plants then why even do Biology? -.- And for the record, it's "right", not "write"...

ReputationRep:
    adil12, what do you think of my answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddie_Sugden)
    I do not think I did very well. I revised very hard but it was about interpreting the questions properly and making sure you knew what you were required to do. Very frustrating...

Then on the photosynthesis question: I put that two control variabbles are amount of water and amount of pondweed and that the first limiting factor was temp. and then from 40-50 (or whatever the numbers were), it was CO2.

On the temp. question, I got the sweat glands question wrong because I put the opposite to what was correct. But on the others, I think I got them right - blood vessels constrict and this means less blood reaches the skin so less heat is lost by radiation.

On the lactase/milk question, I think I did well. For the first question, on the bottom of the left-hand page, I put that enzymes produced in the stomatch usually work best in acidic conditions and the lactase works best at pH8 (from the table) and so that is why it is unlikely to have been made in the stomach. I said that bile emulsifies fats and also creates the alkaline conditions in the small intestine that the enzymes there, such as lactase, work best at. The question describing the temperature was easy - all about rising and then rate falling because enzyme becoming denatured.

I got the calculation questions wrong on the sankey diagram but got the written questions right on that page - two ways of energy use = keeping a constant body tempertaure and growth. I said that herbivores use less energy through respiration because not moving around as much and carnivores may be catching prey so more energy used through movement. For inside farming, I put that it reduces energy losses by restricting movement and keeping a constant temperature inside so less heat lost, trying to keep a constant body temp.

On the meiosis question, I put C but I am starting to think it may be B. I said that the function of DNA is to code for different characteristics through different bases. A sequence of three bases codes for a particular amino acid and then different amino acids make different proteins, therefore causing variation!?

On the chromosome questions at the end, I mucked them up as made stupid mistakes.

On urea questions, I put it is produced in the Liver, released by the Kidney and made from the breakdown of excess amino acids.

Oh yes, and also on the cell question, I chose B. I said it was adapted for diffusion because it had more air holes/stomata for the gases to diffuse in and out of. I said a useful substance produced in the pancreas is lipase. Btw, for anyone who put protease in the previoius comments, that is wrong I think because protease is produced in the stomach and the small intestine (I may be wrong though!).

Thanks, Freddie.
    heyy i think your right i mucked up the herbivore question and the sankey diagram haha

you know the question for how plants use repiration i think the answers were: to grow larger molecules from smaller ones. and to build proteins from nitrates and sugars.

ReputationRep:
    what do you reckon i have got then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_kittie2)
    heyy i think your right i mucked up the herbivore question and the sankey diagram haha

you know the question for how plants use repiration i think the answers were: to grow larger molecules from smaller ones. and to build proteins from nitrates and sugars.

what do you reckon i have got then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_kittie2)

I put to make larger molecules using smaller molecules...

and enables muscles to contract

ReputationRep:
    wasn't it how animals use respiration, or is this a different question ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoK)
    wasn't it how animals use respiration, or is this a different question ?
    It was why do carnivores need more energy for respiration proportionally than herbivores.

ReputationRep:
    they said 'how plants use respiration' o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddie_Sugden)

Thanks, Freddie.
    Good answers. the pancreas makes the 3 enzymes though - protease, amylase and lipase.

the question about lactase. i think i made a dumb mistake, i thought the table say how long the lactase took to be digested? so i put the same thing as you but in the end said, it is obvious that it was not digested in the stomach due to the wrong pH.

then for the bile question i put it emulsifies the fat in milk breakin it dwn to small droplets (bigger surface area) for LIPID ENZYMES to work faster.

Are you sure it was referring to the enzyme lactase (was that even an enzyme? i cant remember now. lol) i thought the table showed how long it took to be broken down

ReputationRep:
    what was the bile question, i think i put something about it makes the food alkali, which is ideal for the small intestine's enzymes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoK)
    what was the bile question, i think i put something about it makes the food alkali, which is ideal for the small intestine's enzymes
    it said something along the lines of "How does bile help with the digestion of milk? (2 marks)"

btw the question was not about 2 ways in which plants use energy from respiration. i remember it clearly: "Give 2 ways in which a herbivore uses its energy in respiration"

ReputationRep:
    The paper was hard and very strange..
    Here's what I wrote for some of the questions:
    Carbon Compound question: Amino acids (Proteins??) and Glucose
    Ice cold drink: More water available for sweat so more evaporation and more heat is lost so temp. of surface of skin increases.
    DNA question: It has small sections called genes which code to combine amino acids in a particular order to manufacture proteins.

Hope the grade boundaries are low..
    :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.