Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dread to think.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, as I said I absolutely botched the paper up - i'm not a fast writer as it is, so I was always going to be pushed with this, but I did hours and hours of revision, I knew loads of case studies, all the processes, landforms and examples of them. I open the paper, and we have a map based skills question, which takes very little knowledge - this occupies two of the three 'small ' questions. The third was reasonable, but was quite tricky considering the number of marks being awarded. Fair enough. The Rivers essay was pretty decent as-well.

Then I moved onto the Cold Environments. The essay for this was a laughing stock, I had learnt about the treaty, and the protection of the Antarctica, and now your asking me to explain how humans can develop on it? How can I give honest, facts upon something which will never happen, and as far as I'm aware will never come close to happening!

The we have the gem of population. An essay asking about the links between different population structures and how this effects the links between population and resources? Obscure much? Out of curiosity what did everyone else get for this? I wrote about carrying capacity and elderly/youthful populations.

Finally, we have Health - more poor short questions, and an awful essay which I didn't even start.

After all my revision, I literally broke down in the exam, I didn't even finish the paper! I felt like half the essays were far to precise, and the questions in the paper only covered about 10% of each topic, not to mention the common sense answering which may award people who didn't put the work in an equal grade.

Everyone I have spoken to hated it, and felt they did poorly on it, labeling it the 'worst exam they have ever done'.

A question for AQA:

Meanders?
    Waterfalls?
    Potholes?
    Rejuvenation?
    The River cycle?
    Drainage Basins?

And thats just off the top of my head, for one topic.
    Either remove the essays, or start doing a January exam for Physical, and Human in the Summer.
    Or just sort it out, so it takes less than 50% for an A! And so people actually have to revise for your examination to get a decent grade.

Christ, I thought ICT Applied was poor with OCR.

Sorry for my poorly structured, mistake ridden rant!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barmy Army)
    Frankly, as I said I absolutely botched the paper up - i'm not a fast writer as it is, so I was always going to be pushed with this, but I did hours and hours of revision, I knew loads of case studies, all the processes, landforms and examples of them. I open the paper, and we have a map based skills question, which takes very little knowledge - this occupies two of the three 'small ' questions. The third was reasonable, but was quite tricky considering the number of marks being awarded. Fair enough. The Rivers essay was pretty decent as-well.

Then I moved onto the Cold Environments. The essay for this was a laughing stock, I had learnt about the treaty, and the protection of the Antarctica, and now your asking me to explain how humans can develop on it? How can I give honest, facts upon something which will never happen, and as far as I'm aware will never come close to happening!

The we have the gem of population. An essay asking about the links between different population structures and how this effects the links between population and resources? Obscure much? Out of curiosity what did everyone else get for this? I wrote about carrying capacity and elderly/youthful populations.

Finally, we have Health - more poor short questions, and an awful essay which I didn't even start.

After all my revision, I literally broke down in the exam, I didn't even finish the paper! I felt like half the essays were far to precise, and the questions in the paper only covered about 10% of each topic, not to mention the common sense answering which may award people who didn't put the work in an equal grade.

Everyone I have spoken to hated it, and felt they did poorly on it, labeling it the 'worst exam they have ever done'.

A question for AQA:

Meanders?
    Waterfalls?
    Potholes?
    Rejuvenation?
    The River cycle?
    Drainage Basins?

Either remove the essays, or start doing a January exam for Physical, and Human in the Summer.
    Or just sort it out, so it takes less than 50% for an A! And so people actually have to revise for your examination to get a decent grade.

To be honest I completely agree with this post, I put for the population one about malthus/boserup/simon/club of rome. So no marks there then. I actually feel so ******* gutted by this absolute let down, all the past papers were so much easier than this. I learn the course fully and properly and I may aswell NOT have.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...4812144&ref=mf

If you haven't already seen it.

ReputationRep:
    I would join the group but I've taken myself off facebook to *revise*. Didn't exactly work as my results from this exam will show.

Shocking. I think the questions were worded so badly. They over complicate everything. Tbh, I didn't revise half as much as I should but I was relying on the 50% A boundary.

I think the majority of the questions had too many marks. 6 marks on the distribution of a disease of affluence?! I could barely get it to 2!

Cold Environments was.. OK except the 15 marker, I came back to this one at the end and wrote about 3 lines as I ran out of time.

I came out of the exam like 'Ok, that was, not ideal but owell' but now when I look back more and more I keep thinking 'Why the hell did I write that???'

Whoever is going on about Boserup and Malthus etc, I think you were right, I thought about it in the exam but I could only remember the names, not their theories so no point in me putting anything down. Lost a few marks there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_93)
    I would join the group but I've taken myself off facebook to *revise*. Didn't exactly work as my results from this exam will show.

Shocking. I think the questions were worded so badly. They over complicate everything. Tbh, I didn't revise half as much as I should but I was relying on the 50% A boundary.

I think the majority of the questions had too many marks. 6 marks on the distribution of a disease of affluence?! I could barely get it to 2!

Cold Environments was.. OK except the 15 marker, I came back to this one at the end and wrote about 3 lines as I ran out of time.

I came out of the exam like 'Ok, that was, not ideal but owell' but now when I look back more and more I keep thinking 'Why the hell did I write that???'

Whoever is going on about Boserup and Malthus etc, I think you were right, I thought about it in the exam but I could only remember the names, not their theories so no point in me putting anything down. Lost a few marks there.

I totally agree!
    Like all squashed in, like the bays and headlands!

Although as i used a case study i couldnt talk about it as one process :/ Might loose marks there.

But you see, apparently it isnt about that.

Arr im so confused - just have to wait till august :|

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly the question isn't about that, and the more I think about it, it did say population structure, but like, that seems so unfair for ***** sake.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been so much better if:

1) The Physical and Human stuff had their own exams - more time to write about what we know
    2) The questions hadn't been worded so stupidly - I didn't understand what some of them were ******* asking.

Also for cold environments - NOT ONE GLACIER QUESTION.

I think that sums up how **** an exam it was! I had chemistry afterwards and even that was better!

ReputationRep:
    I had a howler.

I went in there and just went blank. I think I got myself too worked up, and when I saw questions which weren't just recall of what I had learnt over the past 6 months, I just wrote a load of rubbish and got even more agitated, and basically lost my train of thought.

I'm not going to bother dwelling on it, I was hoping for an A, but thats out the window now - pretty frustrated with myself when I left the exam hall, as I just felt I'd wasted my time revising for weeks. However, I have English Lit and Biology in two weeks so I need to kick up the tempo for them, but I'm curious can you resit this exam? I know for a fact I did horribly, and when I've looked on the AQA website there is no sign of the GEOG 1 exam for January.

yhh u can sit this paper in jan , i first sat this pper in june 09 and only got a C so resat in jan 2010 :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Apparantly the question isn't about that, and the more I think about it, it did say population structure, but like, that seems so unfair for ***** sake.
    So you was talking about models?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay :))
    So you was talking about models?
    All 4 of them. with definitions of over and optimum population and case studies of africa and china.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    All 4 of them. with definitions of over and optimum population and case studies of africa and china.
    huh? ok im confused. haha, so what was your intention - youthful and ageing?

ReputationRep:
    huh? ok im confused. haha, so what was your intention - youthful and ageing?
    No, I did it for population growth and it's affects on resources mainly. And I also focused on resources perhaps being in abundance but distribution being poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    No, I did it for population growth and it's affects on resources mainly. And I also focused on resources perhaps being in abundance but distribution being poor.
    Mmmm. I see. Arr I dont know. This is all confusing. We will have to just wait and see - but mind you that does sound right?!

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm. I see. Arr I dont know. This is all confusing. We will have to just wait and see - but mind you that does sound right?!
    Yeah my answer was really good, but I didn't talk about structure at all, so i'll get like 0 marks :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Yeah my answer was really good, but I didn't talk about structure at all, so i'll get like 0 marks :/
    Hahah were talking in 2 forums.

Lets stay here. I seee now, Oh noe :|
    So you did Malthus and Boserup as the main body. Nm. You'll def still get some marks as its relating to the second half of the question and partially to structure.

Did you use any case studies of structures? If so, that'll notch it up.

ReputationRep:

A question for AQA:

Meanders?
    Waterfalls?
    Potholes?
    Rejuvenation?
    The River cycle?
    Drainage Basins?

It's clearly something AQA are just going to stick with - they knew last year's got appalling feedback, acknowledged it and then clearly didn't change their paper difficulty!
    To be honest though, I think anything they ask would have been bad - it doesn't seem to be the content but more the mark allocation.

I agree with most of what you've said - AQA need to sort this out if it's going to be long running - but they can't take the longer ones out or people'll be screwed when they get to writing the actual essays next year without any form of longer practice!

ReputationRep:
    Hahah were talking in 2 forums.

Lets stay here. I seee now, Oh noe :|
    So you did Malthus and Boserup as the main body. Nm. You'll def still get some marks as its relating to the second half of the question and partially to structure.

Did you use any case studies of structures? If so, that'll notch it up.
    Nah I spoke about China reducing it's births by 338 milliom from 1979 due to approaching famine. I put about it's population rising 300,000,000 between 1950 and 1975 and having 1/4 of the worlds population in only 7% of arable land, but I didn't mention anything about the age of the structure, I don't remember if I put anything about them facing a huge aged population in 2025, but I don't think I did. And for Africa I spoke about the nation having a food surplus in 2005 and yet massive famine in areas like niger and Chad, suggesting it was due to distribution of resources, not lack of resources. so as you can see, nothing relating to structure = 0 marks. I feel pretty disgusted with myself tbh, if I wasn't so rushed i'd have read it better and maybe known what to put :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    It's clearly something AQA are just going to stick with - they knew last year's got appalling feedback, acknowledged it and then clearly didn't change their paper difficulty!
    To be honest though, I think anything they ask would have been bad - it doesn't seem to be the content but more the mark allocation.

I agree with most of what you've said - AQA need to sort this out if it's going to be long running - but they can't take the longer ones out or people'll be screwed when they get to writing the actual essays next year without any form of longer practice!
    It's not that we have a problem with 15 mark answers (my other 3 subjects are essay based, RS, philosophy and critical thinking [sorta essay based]). Everyone found the rivers one good. It's just the way they phrased the majority of this paper was ridiculous, and there were so many better questions they could have asked to allow us to demonstrate our knowledge. They could have removed ambiguity by saying ' effects of an ageing and youthful population '.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy

I was just wondering whether people have started revising for the skills paper on Tuesday? And if so, what do you think is going to come up in it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.