AQA AS Biology unit 1 25th May 2010 Watch

VULGAR123
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hallie.x)
in theory i understand the biolgy behind everything
but AQA's stupid questions confuse me

HARDCORE REVISION TONIGHT!
Yeah AQA papers are so difficult they like to test our application so there's hardly any recall questions instead we have to apply the knowledge!
princessjuicy
Report 8 years ago
how many mm is a nano meter? thanks
alwaysanigel247
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by VULGAR123)
I am having problems understanding the B cells in immunity do they have antigens on their surfaces?
yeh they do! i got very confused on that!!!

also do mitrochondria release or produce atp?
LettersFromTheSky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I_Need_To_Revise)
Anyone have any guesses on what the 5 markers will be at the end?
In jan 2010 it was on the cardiac cycle and i think myocardial infarction...
In jan 09 the five markers were on Cholera and microscopes and in jun 09 on digestion.

Jan 2010 was like you say Cardiac Cycle and how atheroma leads to myocardial infarction, so Id take a guess at saying that this paper's 5 markers wont be on heart stuff, Immunity has yet to come up and I dont think they usually ask lung stuff for long questions! But who knows!
VULGAR123
Report 8 years ago
Yeah i find the whole B cell stuff incredibly confusing!

ATP is produced in the mitochondria from carbohydrates..i was wrong before lol
CHEM1STRY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alwaysanigel247)

produce
CHEM1STRY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by VULGAR123)
Yeah i find the whole B cell stuff incredibly confusing!

ATP is a form of energy so i'm guessing it's released because energy can't be produced
No it's a molecule so they produce it, but it releases energy
INeedToRevise
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Mitochondria release energy. If you write produce you won't get the mark. It was in the markscheme for June 2009 paper.
VULGAR123
Report 8 years ago
My textbook says Mitochondria produce ATP
Scrubby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's either going to be something on lungs, cells or immuntiy. More specifically cell-mediated and humoral responses or absoprtion in epithelial cells or phospholipid bilayer or maybe phagocytosis. Just guessing. I'd say absorption or specifically the sodium potassium pump may come up. that hasn't really come up has it? I hope it does as I have that **** dooown.

Also for the mitochondria question it says this: Mitochondria produce ATP/release energy; So either is fine tbh.
LettersFromTheSky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

A lot of mark scheme answers Ive seen say mitochondria for the production of atp.
CHEM1STRY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I_Need_To_Revise)
Mitochondria release energy. If you write produce you won't get the mark. It was in the markscheme for June 2009 paper.
They release energy but produce atp
T.S
Report 8 years ago
what type of question do you think they could ask for the 5 mark one if it was immunity??

and can someone help me because im confused with cholera..i just need a quick discription of what it does and what happens 2 the chloride ions?
LettersFromTheSky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Scrubby)
It's either going to be something on lungs, cells or immuntiy. More specifically cell-mediated and humoral responses or absoprtion in epithelial cells or phospholipid bilayer or maybe phagocytosis. Just guessing. I'd say absorption or specifically the sodium potassium pump may come up. that hasn't really come up has it? I hope it does as I have that **** dooown.
Ahhh the Sodium Pottassium pump, Im so crap at that!

Immunity im not exactly great at but I think i more or less know phagocytosis, cell mediated response and humoral response
T.S
Report 8 years ago

Also for the mitochondria question it says this: Mitochondria produce ATP/release energy; So either is fine tbh.

heyyy
can u help me with the sodium potassium pump part! what do u think
is a good answa?
Scrubby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LettersFromTheSky)
Ahhh the Sodium Pottassium pump, Im so crap at that!

Immunity im not exactly great at but I think i more or less know phagocytosis, cell mediated response and humoral response
Nah I just checked and it's the last question for the June 09 paper
Scrubby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by T.S)
heyyy
can u help me with the sodium potassium pump part! what do u think
is a good answa?
It doesn't look like it'll come up but here's the mark scheme answer:

Glucose moves in with sodium (into epithelial cell);
Via (carrier/channel) protein/symport;
Sodium removed (from epithelial cell) by active
transport/sodium-potassium pump;
Into blood;
Maintaining low concentration of sodium (in epithelial cell) /
maintaining sodium concentration gradient (between lumen
and epithelial cell);
Glucose moves into blood;
By (facilitated) diffusion;

Seems fairly thorough. I might have mentioned that it uses a different carrier protein for each movement in/out of the cell though.
T.S
Report 8 years ago
It doesn't look like it'll come up but here's the mark scheme answer:

Glucose moves in with sodium (into epithelial cell);
Via (carrier/channel) protein/symport;
Sodium removed (from epithelial cell) by active
transport/sodium-potassium pump;
Into blood;
Maintaining low concentration of sodium (in epithelial cell) /
maintaining sodium concentration gradient (between lumen
and epithelial cell);
Glucose moves into blood;
By (facilitated) diffusion;

Seems fairly thorough. I might have mentioned that it uses a different carrier protein for each movement in/out of the cell though.

okk thanks!
Lee :D
Report 8 years ago
They're nowhere near as bad as the A2 papers though

I've completely forgot most of the Unit 1 stuff, and only just realised how close the exam is... Guess I've got a lot to learn tonight >.<
CHEM1STRY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by T.S)
what type of question do you think they could ask for the 5 mark one if it was immunity??

and can someone help me because im confused with cholera..i just need a quick discription of what it does and what happens 2 the chloride ions?
Cholera is caused by Vibrio Cholerae. It propels itself through the mucus lining the epithelial cells in the intestine in a corkscrew like motion with its flagellum. Here it secretes a toxin in two parts.

One part binds to the glycolipids on the CSM of the epithelial cells. The receptors have a very specific shape and the toxin is only complementary shape to these receptors so only affects epithelial cells. Another part causes the release of cyclic AMP which causes the chloride ion channels to open.

Cl- ions flood out of the cells into the ileum, followed by Na+ ions to neutralise the building potential difference across the CSM. This lowers the water potential in the ileum and raises it in the epithelial cells. Hence water moves out of the epithelial cells via osmosis.

There is now a conc. gradient of ions from surrounding tissues to the epithelial cells, causing them to diffuse from the tissues to the epithelial cells. This raises their water potential so water moves via osmosis from tissues and blood to epithelial cells then into the ileum, causing dehydration and diarrohea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (181)
80.44%
Leave (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads