Turn on thread page Beta

Why isn't the UK fully metric? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Hes a thought why not just teach both in school then leave the system as it is, shame on foreign tourist if they arent educated enough to know how to convert
    Why would they only Burma (Myanmar), Liberia and the United States still refuse to adopt the Metric system. Most countires are fully metric or nearly fully metric. Other than a pint and miles the Imperial system is lost on me. Pints because I drink them and miles because the speed limit was still in miles up until 2005, despite the distance road signs being Kilometres for as long as I can remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horsebox)
    Why would they only Burma (Myanmar), Liberia and the United States still refuse to adopt the Metric system. Most countires are fully metric or nearly fully metric. Other than a pint and miles the Imperial system is lost on me. Pints because I drink them and miles because the speed limit was still in miles up until 2005, despite the distance road signs being Kilometres for as long as I can remember.
    Because its good knowledge to have what wrong with learning it just like we learn both imperial and metric. Who knows when you will pick up an old book or go to a poor country where all the signs havent been changed, or go to market etc in foreign countries that use old meassurements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Because its good knowledge to have what wrong with learning it just like we learn both imperial and metric. Who knows when you will pick up an old book or go to a poor country where all the signs havent been changed, or go to market etc in foreign countries that use old meassurements.
    The only one I can do very quickly was the miles-kilometres or kilometres-miles, its simple divide by 5 & muliply by 8 or do the reverese. Our distance signs have been in Kilometres for a long time but the speed signs where only changed in 2005. So most Irish could translate between the two instantly, suppose it was a little confusing for a metric French driver or an imperial British one.

ReputationRep:
    One imperial measurement that really does mean nothing to me is fahrenheit. Celsius is good because there is actually a significance to 0 and 100 degrees. 0F seems to be a completely arbitrary temperature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horsebox)
    The speed limit is still in miles.

If the motorway speed limit was a paltry 70kph, I'd just take the train everywhere. Well, I do anyway, but that's beside the point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The speed limit is still in miles.

If the motorway speed limit was a paltry 70kph, I'd just take the train everywhere. Well, I do anyway, but that's beside the point
    I live in Ireland, the speed limit is in Kilometres. The motorway is 120kph

I learned metric at school, fully metric.

I hate it and don't use metric for ANYTHING.

Can't estimate for **** in metric on any point.

Imperial system FTW!

(Original post by Psyk)
    One imperial measurement that really does mean nothing to me is fahrenheit. Celsius is good because there is actually a significance to 0 and 100 degrees. 0F seems to be a completely arbitrary temperature.
    Only seems to be:p:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farenhe...of_temperature

The zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt. This is a frigorific mixture which automatically stabilizes its temperature at 0 °F.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Only seems to be:p:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farenhe...of_temperature

The zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt. This is a frigorific mixture which automatically stabilizes its temperature at 0 °F.
    Ok, well it makes more sense to use the freezing point of water:p:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.