Should Britain withdraw foreign aid from immoral countries? Watch

NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nowrin)
4. Internationally, we seem to love double standards.
Here's a better double standard: sex tourism is illegal and has extra territorial jurisdiction. Yet, it's okay to import goods made by kids and women in slavery conditions abroad, whether it's fasionable names like Nike or British and American tobacco. The American use of phosphorous and depleted uranium shells in Iraq should be considered a war crime. It's partly why I am for Iran to have nuclear weapons. Someone has to keep other countries 'in check'.
nowrin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Here's a better double standard: sex tourism is illegal and has extra territorial jurisdiction. Yet, it's okay to import goods made by kids and women in slavery conditions abroad, whether it's fasionable names like Nike or British and American tobacco. The American use of phosphorous and depleted uranium shells in Iraq should be considered a war crime. It's partly why I am for Iran to have nuclear weapons. Someone has to keep other countries 'in check'.
So much of how we our governed is not for our interests or for the interests of people in general but political interest.
Banning imports made in slavery conditions = everything would cost more = lower (still high . . .) living standards in Britain = party out for a generation.

Please don't get me started on America and Israel; I literally burst blood vessels.
I'm a Tory, but my views on Middle Eastern foreign policy are v. left.

Could someone also explain to me why oil is being sold by Iraq's puppet gov't to American oil companies at knockdown prices?
"Umm, WPD . . . no wait, erm, Saddam because he's the worst and doesn't follow UN orders, actually **** that we need erm, stability erm, well . . . WE NEED TO REBUILD IRAQ!!!"
Flying Cookie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maghreblover)
Yes, but the way its done in Nigeria, countries, or companies usually affiliated with countries, bid to acquire concessions on oil reserves. For instance, if i remember right, towards the end of last year China was bidding for up to a sixth of Nigeria's oil reserves. These concessions are approved by the Nigerian government. If the Nigerian government should withdraw these, the countries effectively lose them. They could well transfer UK's concessions to countries bidding for higher reserves in Africa like China, for instance. And then the UK loses out. simples.
That doesn't make any sense. Nigeria will give the oil to the highest bidder. Does China offer any extra aid? Might as well direct the money from aid to a higher bid on the oil?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So much of how we our governed is not for our interests or for the interests of people in general but political interest.
Banning imports made in slavery conditions = everything would cost more = lower (still high . . .) living standards in Britain = party out for a generation.
I don't really believe that. People should stop spending on what they cannot afford and stop having a fetish for debt. The cost of 'ethically' produced food isn't usually higher than brand names, so I think it can be developed to other products. We've seen it with battery farming vs free range or normal v fairtrade.

Could someone also explain to me why oil is being sold by Iraq's puppet gov't to American oil companies at knockdown prices?
"Umm, WPD . . . no wait, erm, Saddam because he's the worst and doesn't follow UN orders, actually **** that we need erm, stability erm, well . . . WE NEED TO REBUILD IRAQ!!!"
Colonialism at its finest. The restructuring of the Iraqi economy contravenes the Hague Convention.
nowrin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't really believe that. People should stop spending on what they cannot afford and stop having a fetish for debt. The cost of 'ethically' produced food isn't usually higher than brand names, so I think it can be developed to other products. We've seen it with battery farming vs free range or normal v fairtrade.
People should, but they won't.
I suppose so, I could see it being rather unpopular though.

Colonialism at its finest. The restructuring of the Iraqi economy contravenes the Hague Convention.
But we need to rebuild Iraq! We're doing such a good job! Let us smash up another well resourced country so we can rebuild it again with our own companies so we get more dirty, filty money! NO WAIT, let us watch another country do this, help fund it, and then watch us reap a nice 0% of profits.

I don't know what is worse: the disgusting actions of the USA or Britain's stupidity in going along with them.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know what is worse: the disgusting actions of the USA or Britain's stupidity in going along with them.
I suppose it could be mooted against on grounds of expense in the future. I knew wars were expensive but didn't realise how expensive they are considering so few initially consider the cost of war. There are alternatives to war when protecting national interests i nthe name of 'security' that seems to have gone amiss by someone who quoted me in the Jehova's thread. Just use spies as assassins, Russia do it.
maghreblover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Flying Cookie)
That doesn't make any sense. Nigeria will give the oil to the highest bidder. Does China offer any extra aid? Might as well direct the money from aid to a higher bid on the oil?
Actually you can't say the Nigerian government will definitely give to the highest bidder, every contract is reached with various negotiations and mostly behind closed doors.

No China doesn't offer any extra aid but that has nothing to do with the point I'm making, I'm simply using China as an example of another country concessions could go to. It is all about diplomatic relations, if a country has qualms with another country (and such qualms could possibly be rooted in foreign aid, not being an obligation but being an expectation), they can take out any action they wish within their own legal rights, and in the case of Nigeria this could be withdrawing or failing to renew oil and gas concessions. This is perfectly legal as the Nigerian government has the authority to make deals with whomever it wishes.

Thus if the government decides, 'hey the uk has been mean, we don't like them anymore', the government can go ahead and fail to renew concessions for UK companies, and distribute them among other countries with similar bids. When international relations turn sour, even war is possible, so this would be a petty issue.
baseballfan2010
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Some would say that having an unelected leader as the (ceremonial) figurehead of a "democratic" country and having a House of Lords is immoral. There are probably other issues in Britain that some would call immoral. Morality is in the eye of the beholder, and no country is beyond reproach. Besides, you have to be careful burning bridges, because you may need that country's help later on.
kathak
Report 8 years ago
All the total help given by all countries(uk is a minor unimportant countryamong it)to india is only 2.5 percent of the gdp and india has been given about twice that amount for free to other countries.So stop u r rant u unimportant and sun will rise again british.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/6324319.cms
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads