Would you still go to university if fees were uncapped ? Watch

Heeck
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Uncapped fess is obviously good for the universities since they'd have more funds to spend on research, facilities, etc. But uncapped fees would be bad for the middle/lower classes I believe. It really boils down as to who the government values more.
Macabre
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
The amount paid out in student loans via the government is extremely little, so your point about there only being a limited amount of loans to be paid out by the government is nonsense; especially when you take into account that education is something that we very much should be spending on!

And why are you assuming that middle class parents have enough money to go around to support their children all the way through their university education? Many don't. Many have things to pay like mortgages etc.
You of all people have very little argument since all scottish degrees are free for scottish students, so id be very careul in being critical. And actually thats total rubbish. My university alone puts though over 30,000 students a year, fact. Times that by tuition fee alone for 3 years and you have a large figure. Put that over all universities and that a massive sum, so dont be foolish

Also the working class have mortgages and etc. too, its just that middle class have more. Its quite simple.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Macabre)
You of all people have very little argument since all scottish degrees are free for scottish students, so id be very careul in being critical. And actually thats total rubbish. My university alone puts though over 30,000 students a year, fact. Times that by tuition fee alone for 3 years and you have a large figure. Put that over all universities and that a massive sum, so dont be foolish

Also the working class have mortgages and etc. too, its just that middle class have more. Its quite simple.
There are no upfront fees for English students - the loan, as with in Scotland, is there to cover living expenses, accommodation, etcetera, so I have no idea why you're throwing out "Scottish degrees are free for Scottish students". We need loans too to cover living expenses and like English ones the amount paid out depends on how much our parents earn. I think you're really grasping at straws here...

The actual amount paid out by the government in student loans is very little compared to the total government expenditure. I'm not sure what's so difficult to grasp about this concept.

And I'm lost as to what your last line is meant to mean. :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (88)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (180)
40.45%
Nope, not that interesting (177)
39.78%

Watched Threads