Turn on thread page Beta

Reue finally got visited by the Tv Licence Inspectors! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    What is the law?
    Communications Act 2003

ReputationRep:
    It does not matter if he does not watch tv. He owns a tv set. He needs a license. Stop breaking the law.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...-needed-top12/

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaylaleigh)
    I believe that when you buy a new TV, the electrical shop takes your details and sends them off... Dunno if that is always the case though, just remember it happening to my mum.
    Did the store check that your mother was not in fact Princess Leia?

John Smith
    35 High Street
    Reading
    RG2 4LF

There's an address I just made up.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. What I don't get is why do we pay to watch TV then the money goes to BBC and when we MAY not ever watch the BBC? I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky Milk)
    Came in - rottweilers in hand; barking like mad - 50 police men - One strongly worded letter with a payment plan. Crafty *******s
    I wonder how many granny-rapists our "big society" could have caught with the resources deployed to your Mum's house to give her a letter and "find" her TV which was probably just stood proudly in the corner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    See, now theres the problem...
    Hang on, does anybody need this license?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is disgusting that you are not paying the licence fee. Your clearly breaking the law here. I hope you get done.
    How is he clearly breaking the law?
    Where does he say he is watching live broadcasts?

ReputationRep:
    It does not matter if he does not watch tv. He owns a tv set. He needs a license. Stop breaking the law.
    Wrong if,he uses the tv set to play games, that isn't breaking the law.The only way they catch you ,is if they walk in and catch you watching telly that is live. I think it's even a myth that they have equipment that can tell if you are using a telly.They rely on intimidating people.I personally hate the BBC, and regard them as so hypocritical when they talk about vunerable people and the needy yet have some kind of enforcement service who act the way they do.

In my experience of TV licence inspectors, I have found the Police more reasonable and easier to deal with. And that was when I did something wrong and with the tv licence inspectors they acted like I was guilty. But it wasn't just that it's how they speak to you.The police were much more respectful.

What is the law?
    The one and only thing that you need a tv licence for is to watch live television programmes (either on a tv or online). You do not need one to watch bbc iplayer or 4od or itv catch up and you do not need one if you only use your tv for games/dvds.

ReputationRep:
    Its surprising that they havent given TV Licencing people more powers

thing is to enter a persons house almost always requires a warrant so it would be an overkill for an inspector to get one everytime but it would be a big step to give them routine access to peoples houses.

personally i think in the future, if they are smart, they will do people by seeing if they are watching live tv online and tracing it back to a specific address.

ReputationRep:
    Dude im with you till the very end :headbang:, well until you get a huge fine or end up in prison :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I hate TV Licensing...they act like they're the sodding vice squad or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    LOL. What I don't get is why do we pay to watch TV then the money goes to BBC and when we MAY not ever watch the BBC? I don't get it.
    Every 3 years I set fire to my potting shed. Just to get my money's worth from the fire-brigade *******s. And don't get me started on the ******* coastguard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mart2306)
    Wow, you got your TV rigged to not receive broadcast. Haven't come across a TV like that in over a decade, some of the more modern TVs don't have the switching system to block receipt.
    Huh? As long as you don't watch live TV you are fine.
    You don't need to bother making sure it doesn't receive a signal. As long as you don't use it, there is no law you are breaking.

You do watch tv online. You use the BBC Iplayer, ITV Player, 40d and 5player.
    Do you own a tv set?
    The law only refers to live TV. Catchup services are exempt from needing a license.

Does he own tv set? Then yes, he has to pay like the rest of the law abiding citizens of this country. If he does own a tv set, he should get prosecuted for not having a tv license.
    As said, you are wrong.

Wrong.

As far as I am aware, you own a tv set, you need a license.
    Wrong

Hope you get done. You own a tv set, you have to have a tv license. Your breaking the law.
    Wrong

ReputationRep:
    What new series that is being advertised? There are loads of programmes based in Manchester.

I do give crap about someone else for not having a licence fee. He is breaking the law. He should get prosecuted for breaking the law.
    The fact that they quoted someone else should imply that the new series comment is not aimed at you. :rolleyes:

And when are you going to get it through your skull that you only need a TV licence if you're watching television as it is being broadcast!? Owning a TV to play video games on, watching TV on catch-up sites like 4OD, watching DVDs only - these things do not require a licence.

ReputationRep:
    So much fail in this thread.

Continue sticking it to the man, Reue! (Even though you're completely within the law)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I haven't had a visit but I did get a really mean phonecall - thought you'd like to hear incase a similar thing happens to you in the near future (which it probably will before they send someone else round).

I recently moved (in March), and had a really awful phonecall from a snide cow two weeks ago who started off by lecturing me on how I moved without telling them, yaddah yaddha yaddah...fine...lawsuit...prison .

One little phrase changed the tone of the conversation

Her: "liable to fine of up to £1000, and people like you are usually the main culprits/"
    Me: "Excuse me, what's your name, I didn't catch it"
    Her: "Dana"
    Me: "Ok, Dana. Did I mention that this phonecall has been recorded and will be used in court if I receive more hassle from TV Licensing?"
    Her: "Err...sir...I..."
    *Click*

For the moaners, my TV license had actually been paid, and expires in August. They were just being gahy.

(And when I bought my TV, it was down as being Rt Hon Gordon Brown, 10 Downing Street, London, SW1A 2AA) :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ehurggh...wrong answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    As a matter of fact, and in a break from the scheduled programme of specious conjecture, non-payment of fines can result in imprisonment, and sometimes does.
    What I meant is, without your co-operation the BBC salesmen (TV Licensing inspectors) are powerless, so they try to scare you into buying their products (a TV licence.) They work on the assumption that you are either a payer or an evader, and then trick you into confessing.

ReputationRep:
    nice going :yep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    When I lived in my old place, we were getting hassled by the tv licence inspectors.Letters to start with, which went unanswered because none of us liked the tone of them.

Anyway, on sunday morning of all days, a tv licence inspector turned up at the front door. A woman, and she actually had some form she wanted me to sign declaring I had been using a tv without a licence,and she told me unless I signed the form and bought a licence that day I would be in court.First words she used. Very disconcerting if you were a vunerable person.

I refused to sign and she asked to come in and check for a TV. I said 'be my guest' and she walked in to the aftermath of a serious party, beer can everywhere, as usual after clubbing it. She went in the front room, and my mate rob (who we called rab) a complete glaswegian drunkard, who had dropped out of uni ages ago and was just getting boozed up everynight, was lying on the sofa with his boxers and his ******** hanging out.

He started to shout stuff at her, couldn't really make it out, and she couldn't get out of there fast enough.They never hassled us again.
    thats ******* brilliant:rofl:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.