Turn on thread page Beta

Well done tories for this cut... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidanLunn)
    In this country, TV far outweighs our film industry.

Most of the arts exported from this country consist of TV material, with very little film.

In the US, it's more or less split 50/50 between films and TV.

Sorry, that was bad wording. Not fair share but perhaps still a respectful share. (As said, I'm just guessing here and far from proclaiming that we're world leaders in film export or will be any time soon.)

And I imagine they quite easily beat us in both of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Forget It In People)
    Sorry, that was bad wording. Not fair share but perhaps still a respectful share. (As said, I'm just guessing here and far from proclaiming that we're world leaders in film export or will be any time soon.)

And I imagine they quite easily beat us in both of them.
    For UK TV, much of the stuff exported from here is BBC-made or commissioned, with comparitively little programming broadcast here on the commercial channels.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, maybe not, but I thought the arts was our biggest export (this may not be correct) and I thought our films would have got a fair share of this, with films like Hot Fuzz doing well. Also seems like the British Film industry has been doing well recently and could be good for the future. (I say seems like; I don't have any stats or have much of an idea of how it has been in the past, so this could just be my age showing, as I won't remember what it was like 15/20 years ago.)

Can the UK film industry rival the US or Bollywood in terms of viewers or output (number of films per year)? In most European countries, films are largely are produced for artistic purposes and not mass profit, like in Hollywood or Bollywood.

You say it's important, but how and to whom? Is it just your own personal belief, or does it stem from some objective analysis? I doubt that film production is a significant portion of our economy.

I think, in fairness, worrying about the financial services industry in decline would be of greater economic importance to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    For UK TV, much of the stuff exported from here is BBC-made or commissioned, with comparitively little programming broadcast here on the commercial channels.
    Thanks. I can't really think of what shows would be our biggest export. I'd guess at some sit-coms like The Office and Peep Show. I'd guess our sit-coms do better in the likes of America than our drama's, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Can the UK film industry rival the US or Bollywood in terms of viewers or output (number of films per year)? In most European countries, films are largely are produced for artistic purposes and not mass profit, like in Hollywood or Bollywood.

You say it's important, but how and to whom? Is it just your own personal belief, or does it stem from some objective analysis? I doubt that film production is a significant portion of our economy.

I think, in fairness, worrying about the financial services industry in decline would be of greater economic importance to the UK.
    No, I've said about our film exports not standing up to some other countries.

Sorry, where have I said it's important? (I'm not denying I've said it but I can't see where so I can answer you.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I can't really think of what shows would be our biggest export. I'd guess at some sit-coms like The Office and Peep Show. I'd guess our sit-coms do better in the likes of America than our drama's, anyway.
    Doctor Who and Top Gear are two of our biggest exports.

Weakest Link, X Factor and Millionaire are some examples of exported formats (i.e. the actual episodes of our version don't get sold abroad, but the format does)

ReputationRep:
    Doctor Who and Top Gear are two of our biggest exports.

Weakest Link, X Factor and Millionaire are some examples of exported formats (i.e. the actual episodes of our version don't get sold abroad, but the format does)
    Ah yes, don't watch it so I forgot about Dr. Who.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't this go against the whole trickle-down economics of conservative ideology ?

ReputationRep:
    Culture & Arts - something that no society really needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    Doesn't this go against the whole trickle-down economics of conservative ideology ?
    In what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albion-mad-nick)
    Even though that as a society, we ARE a culture?

ReputationRep:
    Even though that as a society, we ARE a culture?
    Well whatever, we don't need to enhance it by pumping public money into it. A cut that won't have any noticeably negative impact on the country frankly.

ReputationRep:

why not?

ReputationRep:
    In what way?
    The financial and otherwise help given from the film council to the producers of films (assuming they profit, think Hot Fuzz :p: ) would lead to, as the conservatives argue (which I am sceptical about) a large revenue at the producers' disposal to spend on goods and services, which supposedly (but obviously not solely responsibly) leads to economic growth.

ReputationRep:
    Well whatever, we don't need to enhance it by pumping public money into it. A cut that won't have any noticeably negative impact on the country frankly.
    Oh, so just because YOU don't like it it should be disposed of should it?

What about those of us like myself who really NEED the UKFC to find employment in my chosen profession?

ReputationRep:
    Either way its a ball sack decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by One Man Clique)
    So, in your view, museums, art galleries, national parks and so on and so forth should be unleased onto the free market?

If it is not making money. Close it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoullFindMeFilming)
    For goodness sake, do I have to keep repeating myself? There is £5 for every £1 invested in films through the UK Film Council, and UK independent films took their largest market share in a decade last year. The UK Film Council helps to make this and many other things possible.
    The 'service' as you put it can most certainly survive on its own, but have you ever thought that a film needs money before it starts MAKING money?? And they have shown that they do make money. The UK box office exceeded £1 billion for the first time last year.
    Taxpayers have no interest in film? I think you'll find the majority of people do go to the cinema, and rent or buy DVDs from time to time...

Yes Taxpayers have an interest in film. They don't appear to have an interest in British made films churned out by the UKFC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    If it is not making money. Close it down.
    The whole of life doesn't revolve around making money you know.

What a selfish and ill though-out comment to make!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.