Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljebo)
    there was no need in posting that in this forum, all you will get is troll replies from wannabe internet hardmen.
    Oh I see, the funny thing is, they're all up in arms when Turkey tries to reach out or emulate western systems of rule, but when someone suggests they return to what made them the country they are today, they get equally upset, so I suppose you do have a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Racist? Prove it. And I am talking about real racism, not under your inflated definition that probably includes criticising the ideology you subscribe to. Xenophobe? Not really, only to tin pot dictatorships. Bigot? Yes, I am very intolerant of Islamists like you.
    People can simply go through nearly every single thread you post to prove what I say and figure out what kind of person you are. And as I stated, I have no concern to what a venomous racist has to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Oh I see, the funny thing is, they're all up in arms when Turkey tries to reach out or emulate western systems of rule, but when someone suggests they return to what made them the country they are today, they get equally upset, so I suppose you do have a point.
    Damn straight i got a point:hmmm:

I jest :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Shouldnt the EU be trying to sort itself out before letting others join it?

ReputationRep:
    People can simply go through nearly every single thread you post to prove what I say and figure out what kind of person you are. And as I stated, I have no concern to what a venomous racist has to say.
    I find it amusing that a relentless homophobe has the cheek to call me bigoted.

And, that's right - drop and misuse the race card because you know it invokes emotion, and because you are incapable of providing a substantial counter-argument.

ReputationRep:
    I find it amusing that a relentless homophobe has the cheek to call me bigoted.

And, that's right - drop and misuse the race card because you know it invokes emotion, and because you are incapable of providing a substantial counter-argument.
    And that's another equally funny thing, you seem to have a problem with nearly every single minority in this country expect for homosexuals, you regularly post threads about immigrants and generally spout your xenophobic garbage.

And I did provide a counter argument, people can go through your thread to see the likes of this for example

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post26210014

ReputationRep:
    I agree with him. What with the new cap and all, it wouldn't be a huge, mismanaged problem. We would do very nicely by dipping into their expanding market.

I was more impressed with the reference to Gaza, though. Yes Cameron!

ReputationRep:
    Turkey should join, if we want a peaceful world we need to show that peaceful people of a different ethnicity and religion can be part of the Europe club.

Turkeys poor human rights record is largely from torturing and killing extremist muslims, which is not something I feel particularly alarmed by.

ReputationRep:
    And that's another equally funny thing, you seem to have a problem with nearly every single minority in this country expect for homosexuals, you regularly post threads about immigrants and generally spout your xenophobic garbage.

And I did provide a counter argument, people can go through your thread to see the likes of this for example

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post26210014
    Yes, because questioning the social and cultural benefits of immigration is racist. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because questioning the social and cultural benefits of immigration is racist. :teehee:
    Yeah I thought so :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oscarwildelike)
    Turkey should join, if we want a peaceful world we need to show that peaceful people of a different ethnicity and religion can be part of the Europe club.

Turkeys poor human rights record is largely from torturing and killing extremist muslims, which is not something I feel particularly alarmed by.
    No, it isn't.

Not only do they fail to recognise the genocide of the Armenian's, Assyrians and Greeks and actively campaign against their recognition, they also actively ethnically cleansed the East of Turkey by bulldozing thousands of Kurdish villages throughout the 90's and massacring Civilians.

The Turks have such a disgraceful record that Bush refused the help of the Turkish Troops in the North of Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    As long as we don't receive a massive immigration wave from that country...
    of course there will be a massive immigration wave from turkey... the muslim population of the uk will only increase and the edl will have more reason to fight the "islamification" of britain. oh yeah and the daily mail will love it!

ReputationRep:
    Read more.

Talk about kissing arse in the country you have been invited to.

I do agree that one of the main reasons people oppose Turkey's membership bid is the majority Muslim population. But, I can't say I don't understand why they would feel that way. Although, I find a lot of Turks quite liberal and Westernised.
    It's all about securing "economic bonds" with upcoming economic "superpowers".... Cameron is arse licking the indians in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    Not at all, it would be foolish to suggest that.

However, take the phrases into different contexts. Under the british mandate periods, xenophobia was much more imperialistic. Britain had power and saw the natives of its colonies as inferior. It wasn't nationalistic in the same context as it is used today, rather it sought to influence the world in a more imperial, domineering way.

Today, the xenophobia tends to be more reserved by the middle classes, and voiced by the working class, of whom foriegners are a threat, as opposed to easily conquerable. The nationalism is a bi-product of unwarranted self importance that used to exist in the british mindset, as a means of comforting people that are unable to adapt to rapid change such as the EU. Hence why i refer to it as pseudo-nationalism.
    nationalism today is about reclaiming an identity... to have a sense of belonging..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    nationalism today is about reclaiming an identity... to have a sense of belonging..
    Possibly, yes. But it can be argued that a homogenous 'British' culture has not existed for a long time. Not because of immigration, though this has diverted it further, but in fact, class disparities. It would not be foolish to suggest that th cultures of middle classes differ greatly from the working classes, and that upper class culture differs greatly from middle class culture. In terms of migrants, the only real differences lie in arbitrary things such as diet and dress.

And yes, on the surface, it is about British identity, and it 'being lost' or a long time. But i honestly do see this as an economic bi-product. I wonder for example, how much of he working class who are the main source for Britsh pseudo-nationalism would still be interested in nationalism if they had steady jobs, income and housing for example. Would the mosque down the road really be an issue if they were living decent lives ? Had globalisation not occured, and strong levels of manufacturing still took place in Britain rather than overseas, would there still be an inherent sense for nationalism ? I remember when Britian was lobbying to get into the EU (ok i dont, my dad does though) and te tory press who are completely against it were once kissing EU butt.

I highly doubt that the rise of nationalism is a result of an inherent desire to reform 'old britannia' imo. I still beleive it i a result of poor economic conditions and a market system that bears its brunt on working class unskilled labourers, who then identify with idealist nationalist groups who actually beleive that protectionism is the key to economic power.

(Original post by Phantom_X)
    Reasons why I love this move by Cameron for once

1. Turkey is a lucrative market, ideal for diplomatic purposes and prevents them becoming close to iran

2. Turkey has hot girls

3. undoubtedly this has pissed off the right wing of the tory faction= epic lulz

4. At least one story a week from the mail/express going "Oh noeeez, Muslims!!!" and this will eradicate tory support, and cameron butt kissing

5. Goes against tory values of euroscepticism. Ie. bye bye true toryism.
    Epic post!

ReputationRep:
    I'm perfectly fine with Turkey joining the EU. It's the most progressive predominantly Muslim nation, and I think the UK can only gain from this. I have to admit I can see why Germany is reserved, because Germany already has a massive Turkish population so if anybody is going to feel the effects of the open immigration policy, it's Germany. Overall though I think Turkey should be able to join the EU, providing ofcourse they pass all the criteria (Some of which they are quite far away from).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    I agree with him. What with the new cap and all, it wouldn't be a huge, mismanaged problem. We would do very nicely by dipping into their expanding market.

I was more impressed with the reference to Gaza, though. Yes Cameron!
    The immigration cap doesn't apply to EU countries, as one agreement of the EU is that immigration is free between all countries. There may or may not be transitional controls when Turkey joins (So there is a temporary limit on Turkish migrants which is gradually raised and then got rid of), but in the long term Turkish immigration will not be subject to any sort of cap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bourgeois)
    I don't doubt that Turkey is a good place to invest right now. But that's not saying much about whether or not the EU should accept it in it's ranks (although I said I think it should perhaps not right now though). And Turkey having a large population has nothing to do with it's GDP per capita. America has 5 times the population of Turkey and yet it also has 4 times the GDP per capita of Turkey.
    a larger economy means there is a larger market to sell your goods , america has a larger economy but retail sales are falling whilst they are increasing in Turkey

I think Turkey should be in the EU but no with free movement of Labour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Shouldnt the EU be trying to sort itself out before letting others join it?
    Iceland is going to join soon so why not Turkey ?

its just makes turkey feel victimised and upset

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.