The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Economics - F585 Global Economy - Case Study Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by mark881995
Hey all, is everyone sure that FDI will come up for the 20 marker? Im nervous that it wont and it will definitely throw me off course :s-smilie:

My teacher said that they could mix it up this year, and Greece defaulting or something about defaulting could be 20 marks, but it is unlikely... but I'm learning it anyway...
Reply 81
Original post by king101
Nice to see u on this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you too :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 82
Original post by king101
I thought the arguement for was like they get financial assistances to pay of debt..disadvantage is like loose fdi etc. Component of AD

Posted from TSR Mobile

they are correct as well :biggrin:
This may seem a bit thick - but 'What is meant by the real exchange rate'?

I would say 'The real exchange rate is the purchasing power of two currencies relative to each other', but there must be more to it?

Thanks
Is there hardly anyone taking this module in Jan?
Reply 85
Original post by bad8oy
they are correct as well :biggrin:

:smile: just wondering how you answer 1 c from the ATP mock paper. I cant see to think how you would ANALYSE auesterity measures in preventing default..i can analyse why it doeset though but it womt push me to higher level urghh lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by king101
:smile: just wondering how you answer 1 c from the ATP mock paper. I cant see to think how you would ANALYSE auesterity measures in preventing default..i can analyse why it doeset though but it womt push me to higher level urghh lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have a PDF of the APT? I have all of it but have lost the mock paper which is very annoying!!
Reply 87
Original post by harryembleton
This may seem a bit thick - but 'What is meant by the real exchange rate'?

I would say 'The real exchange rate is the purchasing power of two currencies relative to each other', but there must be more to it?

Thanks

This is the definition I was given:

Real Exchange Rate is the product of the nominal exchange rate and the ratio of prices between the two countries
Reply 88
Original post by king101

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if this is right, but mentioning Joseph Stiglitz could get you to the higher level, because he has his whole theory that you need to correct market failure
Original post by belle11
This is the definition I was given:

Real Exchange Rate is the product of the nominal exchange rate and the ratio of prices between the two countries

Thank you, I thought it could be more like that!!
Reply 90
Thank you, I thought it could be more like that!!

I don't really see the point of this definition though, it's just a slight variation of what an exchange rate is, but it's in the extracts so I'm just learning it anyway... Good luck for wednesday!
Original post by belle11
I don't really see the point of this definition though, it's just a slight variation of what an exchange rate is, but it's in the extracts so I'm just learning it anyway... Good luck for wednesday!

I agree, good luck to you also!
Reply 92
Original post by Acquired
I really need the APT Initiatives Guide, if anyone could possibly PM it to me or email me it, I would really appreciate it as I have no funds to buy it myself. I've already PM'd King101 about it, hopefully I'll get a reply quickly.

photo-18.JPG

If you want the rest of the ATP questions - just let me know and I can post them on here!
Reply 93
Original post by bad8oy
About the question with Greece leaving the eu it would just be
Argument for monetary union
Increased trade,increased growth,increased price transparency, increased efficiency,reduced xr uncertainty,increased fdi,increased economic influence

Arguments against
Loss of monetary policy, no depreciation to prevent lost competition, non convergence problems, control of inflation more important then growth, fiscal transfers

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18074674

AN ABSOLUTE GEM!
Reply 94
Original post by EnhanceTuition
Hi all, I've started looking at this case study and am putting together some YouTube tutorials for F585. I started a few last year that were pretty popular on www.youtube.com/ohjuneth but this year I'll be posting them online to www.youtube.com/EnhanceTuition. I will examine the introduction, individual extracts and discuss overlaps with material in the F585 specification. You can check out the materials I put together for the June exam to get an idea of my approach. The final question also follows a similar pattern - as all past OCR F585 papers have drawn their final question from the final paragraph of the introduction. More on this later...

Has this happened? Is it possible you could post the link again with the JAN 2013 analyse of the extract in videos?
Is anyone able to help with this question: Analyse the consequences of massive inflows of FDI and financial inflows on a country in a monetary union.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 96
Is anyone able to help with this question: Analyse the consequences of massive inflows of FDI and financial inflows on a country in a monetary union.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Loss of national identity, negative external aligned eg: environmental impacts, people being employed may not last long because of technology basically might get structural unemployment, balance of payments changes may not be as positive as you think, domestic firms may struggle due to increase in competition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Loss of national identity, negative external aligned eg: environmental impacts, people being employed may not last long because of technology basically might get structural unemployment, balance of payments changes may not be as positive as you think, domestic firms may struggle due to increase in competition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, just trying to work through the APT questions - want to get them right though otherwise there is no point!
Reply 98
Original post by king101

Posted from TSR Mobile

first start off with what an austerity measure and how default is occurs.
then fiscal policy right?
they decrease government spending and increase taxes. This means they recieve more revenue. The increased revenue can be used to pay of government debts and prevent them from defaulting
HOWEVER
increased in taxes means people have less incentive to work, which leads to voluntary unemployment leading to unemployment trap. This is because taxes are so high they can receive more income from benefits. Although the government think there getting more revenue they are actually not because they are spending more on transfer payment (benefits) which in turn leads to less revenue because less people actually earning a taxable income. AD shifts inwards less Consumer expenditure, less investment, less corporation tax. Overall could possible lead to a smaller gap between Government spending and revenue meaning less available to pay of the debts and make the situation worse.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Cheers, just trying to work through the APT questions - want to get them right though otherwise there is no point!

half of them are bull lol

Quick Reply

Latest