Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students in Favour Of Tuition Fee Reform Discussion Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Budgie)
    You realise that the 50% top tax rate on earnings over £150,000 is anticipated to raise only £2.4bn over what the 40% rate raises, right? And that's what the government hopes - many predict less. You're looking at a bill of over £11bn to fund university. So just what kind of tax rise are you suggesting, if a ten percentage point tax rise on the richest only raises (optimistically) £2.4bn!?

Make no mistake, you'd have to cut well into the top half of earners to fund it. And guess what? That's precisely what the government's proposals do, by putting most of the burden on well off graduates and none of the burden on those who earn below £21k, which is around the median personal income of the UK. That's progressive.

You couldn't fund it just from the richest 1%. See the IFS report Taxing the rich - can it raise any money for the government?.

HAHA that is because most of them dodge the tax. The majority of their income doesn't get taxed. They do not use PAYE so therefore they can find all sorts of ways to dodge the tax which are perfectly legal.

Come on, why isn't vodaphone sueing all the people who say they got off £6 billion tax??? It's slanderous isn't it??? Im sure it is doing quite a bit of damage to their corporate rep and thus to business. If i was innoncent i would take those people to court so that everyone new i didn't get off tax but no that isn't happening.

Stop being so naive. read this for example http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ap...lth-inequality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    HAHA that is because most of them dodge the tax. The majority of their income doesn't get taxed. They do not use PAYE so therefore they can find all sorts of ways to dodge the tax which are perfectly legal.

Come on, why isn't vodaphone sueing all the people who say they got off £6 billion tax??? It's slanderous isn't it??? Im sure it is doing quite a bit of damage to their corporate rep and thus to business. If i was innoncent i would take those people to court so that everyone new i didn't get off tax but no that isn't happening.

Stop being so naive. read this for example http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ap...lth-inequality
    I'm aware that society is unequal - which is all your link talks about - but I'm just saying there aren't enough people at the top to squeeze to pay for such a large chunk of revenue.

I'm not being naive. I am trying to put numbers to your wild assertions that 'the rich can pay'. In 2005, there were only about 400,000 taxpayers earning over £100,000. And you're trying to get them to pay ~£7,000 for each of 1.5 million students.

But don't worry - you can fund it progressively without making anyone earning below £21,000 pay anything. Oh wait....

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that society is unequal - which is all your link talks about - but I'm just saying there aren't enough people at the top to squeeze to pay for such a large chunk of revenue.

I'm not being naive. I am trying to put numbers to your wild assertions that 'the rich can pay'. In 2005, there were only about 400,000 taxpayers earning over £100,000. And you're trying to get them to pay ~£7,000 for each of 1.5 million students.

But don't worry - you can fund it progressively without making anyone earning below £21,000 pay anything. Oh wait....
    Ignoring my previous link. I suggest we discuss wealth rather than income. If we taxed/ took away a few percentage points of the wealth of these people then it would easily pay for all of these things. I it is something like the top 1000 people have a combined wealth of 400 billion. Can't remember the source and can't be bothered to find it. However i would suggest you look up the wealth of these people not their income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    Ignoring my previous link. I suggest we discuss wealth rather than income. If we taxed/ took away a few percentage points of the wealth of these people then it would easily pay for all of these things. I it is something like the top 1000 people have a combined wealth of 400 billion. Can't remember the source and can't be bothered to find it. However i would suggest you look up the wealth of these people not their income.
    Ok, now we're getting somewhere. However, how exactly would you tax their wealth? You'd have to do it in a fairly arbitrary way that would be difficult to implement. Additionally, it's hardly a viable long term solution to fund £11bn a year from some slice of very rich people's assets, as at that rate they would diminish rapidly. Such a tax would be extremely difficult to implement.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, now we're getting somewhere. However, how exactly would you tax their wealth? You'd have to do it in a fairly arbitrary way that would be difficult to implement. Additionally, it's hardly a viable long term solution to fund £11bn a year from some slice of very rich people's assets, as at that rate they would diminish rapidly. Such a tax would be extremely difficult to implement.
    I agree it would be very difficult, but that doesn't mean that we should try. The money would last a long time and also if it is invested in education is does create a pay back which then returns money to the economy and thus the tax man. I believe the figure is that for every £1 invested in Higher education £2.60 is put into the economy.

The fundamental problem with our society is the uneven distribution of wealth and in the main the wealthy aren't doing anything with it and more and more is being collected by the wealthy that is pretty much how capitalism works. The rich gain their money by exploiting the poor. I believe that if this money was more evenly spread between people then generally there would be more money in the economy more generally and thus more tax collected, rather than just kept by the wealthy for example the 1.2billion phillip greens wife has. In reality what is she doing with it?? nobody can spend that amount of money so its just useless. Yes they may invest some of it in companies but their personal wealth is still disgusting and lots of it they could live without.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.