The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blueflare
Yeah. It's not like I'm going to need them.

Quick question: I registered to be an organ donor online, so presumably I am on the list, but they never sent me a donor card. I thought they would so that they can know more quickly that I am a donor, they can just look in my wallet. Is it normal to not get sent a card these days? Anyone know?

It was like a month between me signing up online and receiving my donor card. It took so long to come that I almost forgot that I signed up. When did you sign up?
most definitely donating organs is a good thing.

however, call me selfish, i hope i won't qualify as an organ donor because i hope i will be so old when i die that they won't be of any use to anyone.
Reply 82
Original post by adam0311
That's interesting, I didn't know that. Are they allowed to override even after 18?

Here in the US it's the decision of the individual and no one can do anything to override. My parents are fine with it now, as they've grown to understand my religious outlook compared to two years ago when I had to make the decision to be a donor.

It seems I was wrong :biggrin:

42What will happen if my relatives object?

We know that in most cases families will agree to donation if they knew that was their loved one’s wish. If the family, or those closest to the person who has died, object to the donation when the person who has died has given their explicit permission, either by telling relatives, close friends or clinical staff, or by carrying a donor card or registering their wishes on the NHS Organ Donor Register, healthcare professionals will discuss the matter sensitively with them. They will be encouraged to accept the dead person’s wishes and it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule those wishes. There may, nevertheless, be cases where it would be inappropriate for donation to go ahead.

They can override it for children though.
I'm on the organ donor list - it's not like I'd need the organs once I'm dead and I'd much rather someone else could benefit from them.

Plus, if it were the other way round, I'd really appreciate someone else's organ and it would be hypocritical to take it if I'm not willing to donate mine.
I'm giving everything bar my beautiful eyes.
Original post by Cicerao
Some people would have had diseased organs from birth and thus would not be allowed to join the register...

Obviously, there should/would be exceptions. The whole way they decide who gets what organ is very complex anyway. A lot of the things that exclude people from donating organs postmortem also put them fairly low on the priority list anyway. Essentially there can be an "I would join the list but......... " list. Obviously needing a good medical reason =)
Reply 86
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I became an organ donor around a month ago and seemed pretty indifferent about it. I told my rents and my dad shrugged it off but my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

I signed up because if I was unfortunate enough to need an organ I'd like it before I died, so why not be the donor?

Well anyway, I just want to hear your views on organ donation, are you against it, or do you embrace it?

Reasons please.

i've wanted to become an organ donor for ages, but haven't a clue where to sign up. last time i went to give blood i asked about organ donating and they were pretty snooty with me haha, informing me that giving blood and being an organ donator were entirely different things!
It was like a month between me signing up online and receiving my donor card. It took so long to come that I almost forgot that I signed up. When did you sign up?

Uh like 18 months ago. :s-smilie: I actually signed up a second time maybe a year ago because I thought I might have done something wrong the first time, but still, nothing has come from them.
Original post by lawology
i've wanted to become an organ donor for ages, but haven't a clue where to sign up. last time i went to give blood i asked about organ donating and they were pretty snooty with me haha, informing me that giving blood and being an organ donator were entirely different things!

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/Consent.do

:smile:
Original post by lawology

Oh, that's weird because I found the link to organ donation on the give blood site.:s-smilie:

try this
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Blueflare
Uh like 18 months ago. :s-smilie: I actually signed up a second time maybe a year ago because I thought I might have done something wrong the first time, but still, nothing has come from them.

Oh, perhaps giving them a call?

I'm not too sure what else to do, sorry. :frown:
Reply 91
Oh, that's weird because I found the link to organ donation on the give blood site.:s-smilie:

try this
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp

Hope that helps :smile:

thank you!! i had always thought that they were closely related, so i was confused when (and why) she told me otherwise :confused:
I couldnt give my eyes and my heart. Anything else I wouldnt mind being taken out.
Reply 94
I agree with it. I don't need 'em, and if somebody else can get a use out of them, brilliant!
Reply 95
Original post by DivinityofReason
Why would you much rather die than have blood or an organ from somebody else?
Did you know some people have pigs organs? They seem fine with it.

Do you believe in the after life?

I don't like the idea of a foreign object in my body, even a pacemaker or breast implants.

No I don't believe in after life or any kind of "reward" after death,
Reply 96
Original post by a_t
good, stupid people dying is no problem to me, speeds up our evolution as a species

How does that make me stupid? I am simply fine with everything I've got. I lead a healthy life style and if my body fails then what is the point of pushing it and pushing it and pushing it if it does not work on it's own?
Organ donation is a good thing. One human dies and you can use his death to save another human.

btw
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28689566&highlight=uk%20nuclear%20powe

spare 10 sec of you life and make a vote! For and Against Nuclear Power in UK. :cool:
Reply 98
Original post by Witty Username
Just curious, would you feel the same if a loved one needed an organ and/or blood?

No, but only to a point and only to blood related family
Reply 99
Original post by iamorgan
This is fundamentally where a person who is an organ donor who is dying will be moved from the ward to ITU, put onto a ventilator and allowed to lapse into a coma. Then when brain stem death occurs, their organs would be removed. The problem with this was that people's last moments were being needlessly spent on ITU and not on the ward with their family/invasive treatment etc.

this is what puts me off

What is a dying organ donor is taken to ITU and as a result misses out on lifesaving treatment?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending