Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Londoners! Where's the best place for me to live? Watch

(Original post by Journalistic)
    First thing: forget Gumtree and go on spareroom.co.uk - you will lose considerably less of your sanity that way.
    Thank you, I hadn't even heard of that.

Second thing: I am not going to bother reading the whole thread (so I may have missed something) but you need to be clear on what you want from the place.

Some points to consider:

1. The further away from the centre, the nicer a place you can get for your money.

2. West London is boring.

3. Shoreditch and Hackney are fun, but full of posers too. Still - wouldn't rule it out.

4. Nowhere is 'unliveable' - you'll get people saying you have to avoid Brixton, Peckham, Elephant and Castle, etc. but actually they are some of the coolest places to live (and yes, I am white and middle class).

5. Don't live in Clapham.

That's about it. Want more advice, then quote me.
    Oh wow, I thought West London was where it's at. Oops.

LOL I saw Clapham on a TV programme and it looked quite ... bleak. Although rich people lived there too.

As I said I don't mind living in a hole if the location's great. This is what I love about London, every bit can be so different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.