The Student Room Group

Race row after woman told she is 'too dark' to be a Hobbit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryA
That's not fair, come on though I would not drop the racist card. I'm Paki myself and I wouldn't do it. I'd rather speak to whoever was in charge and ask him to reconsider.

Anyway, question:

Would James Bond still be James Bond if he was black or Asian?

In the books I think he was always Caucasian, so it wouldn't really fall in line with the past. That, and he's been white in all the films. :tongue:
I know they're all different films etc, but some of them (especially he ones concerning Blofeld) are made so they carry on from previous films.
Original post by harrietta
I was once told I was too dark to play baby spice when my friends and I were playing Spice Girls.

Well, to be honest, the elves in LOTR are all white, blonde, well spoken and beautiful, kind of Aryan, whereas the Orcs are all black, working class commoners. Pattern?

Not necessarily adding anything to the thread but still..

Trying to incite racism.
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Article.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the casting team issuing an outright blanket ban on extras who are not pale-skinned, I find her comments so inane. It just seems that as she failed to meet the appearance requirements and didn't get what she wanted, she is dropping the racism card.

The film industry should be entitled to discriminate on the basis of appearance to reasonably cast appropriately for a role.

Yeah but where in Tolkien's books does it specify that Hobbits have to be light-skinned?
Reply 83
Article.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the casting team issuing an outright blanket ban on extras who are not pale-skinned, I find her comments so inane. It just seems that as she failed to meet the appearance requirements and didn't get what she wanted, she is dropping the racism card.

The film industry should be entitled to discriminate on the basis of appearance to reasonably cast appropriately for a role.

Playing safe by quoting the guardian I see...

Has there been a "daily fail" yet?
Nearly everyone in JRR Tolkien's books was white. That's just how it is.

If I rocked up to a casting audition for extras in Hotel Rwanda, demanding the role of a Tutsi villager shuffling around the background of an African landscape, I wouldn't expect them to overlook the fact that I'm actually quite distinctly white.
Is there absolutely nothing that is sacred. Is there nothing of our European culture that can escape the claws of 'multiculturalism' or 'diversity'.

When I was watching 'merlin' on bbc the last time it was on, I was stunned at watching black (african descent) knights sitting at the round table.

Tolkiens work drew heavily from northern European mythology and early literature, there is no place in the film for Pakistani hobbits.

Just as there is no place for a white man playing an african warior in african mythology etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by BellaBoo
I get where the casting guys are coming from because it is likely that Tolkien did imagine the Hobbits as White (due to the times/place he was living in) and also, as someone else has said they are meant to be an individual race so having one brown one amongst a group of white ones isn't exactly going to make sense.

On the other hand, i don't think many people would even notice if she was there, so it wouldn't have really caused any harm in casting her.

Overall though, i just think it's a non story and she's attention seeking. I've never been to an audition but i know they do specify what physical attributes they are looking for. If people are so anti racist, then surely specifying a certain skin colour should be no different to specifying a certain hair or eye colour.

haha i agree with all of your points but this one. she should be bringing something to the play (even though she's only an extra), she isn't getting paid in the hope that people won't notice her!!!
Reply 87
"coz i'm black i gota play da black guy...racist mudda****er" see i'm black now
Americans are so racist.
Black Catwoman?

Well she could be an orc can't she.... or an Uruk-hai, like all those thousands of black actors that played them in the other 3 films
Reply 90
What if somebody said too white to be Othello? I'm sure nothing would happen.
Article.

I agree- the woman has gone a bit over the top and is being a bit outragus. If the part requires pale skinned people then they should be allowed to ask for pale skinned people.
Reply 92
Original post by FyreFight
Nearly everyone in JRR Tolkien's books was white. That's just how it is.

How do you know this? Does he specifically state each characters skin colour in his fictional world?
Reply 93
Original post by Poem boy
I'm sick of all this political correctness. I'm sorry but but there was no non whites in the lord of the rings so why should the hobbit be any different. It is based on Europe.

Not entirely correct. The Easterling and Southrons are not 'white' like the inhabitants of gondor/rohan/the shire etc

(Talking about the recent LOTR films here, rather than the book which as far as I remember doesn't really say anything about skin colour in the main story, it may do in the appendices. Plus one has to remember that a lot of middle earth is loosely based on Norse mythology, and was in parts inspired by Herefordshire's landscapes)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
It's behavior like this from film-makers, along with the narrow-minded comments by some on this thread, that make me sick.

She wasn't trying to be the main actor for goodness sakes, she was just a fan wanting to be an EXTRA in the background. Why the f*** do you have to be white for that! Where does it say that ALL hobbits are white. This is anti-PC bull****, which is worse than PC bull****.

Now I wish Bollywood would stop casting white actors/actresses in their films. Which they do by the way, and they never get stereotyped or kept out of film productions for their skin colour.

So much for the modern, forward-thinking Western world.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 95
It's no different to to a white person applying to have a role of a Zulu warrior, and get rejected. If that happened people would laugh at the person's idiocy, and I'm sure he wouldn't play the racism card (because that would be laughed at too).
Original post by Liam_G
I'm loving the idea of an obese, Asian Luna Lovegood. Swinging away at Wrackspurts with a huge flabby arm...

I'm so racist :frown:

There was a HUGE girl there who had painted herself orange with fake tan especially. I didn't want to say anything but she's not the kind of girl that you could imagine running around the Ministry of Magic.
Original post by Fusion
How do you know this? Does he specifically state each characters skin colour in his fictional world?

You need to select people, normally racially, to show that they are all of one race. It does not work to have a fictional race, and for them to have the exact variations of humans.

Vulcans have thin faces. There was one guy in the recent movie who did not, and he should not have been cast. The thin faces are present in certain races, so the new Spock is Italian/Irish, but Tuvok was African. Skin colour didn't matter because they were shown to be the same race by face structure. Good luck finding a Chinese vulcan; their faces tend to be too round to be a vulcan.

Same with hobbits. You need features to distinguish them from humans. You need to take variations out of the population stock, otherwise they will just seem to be short hairy humans. So, you've got them all short, all with similar hair, and most of them with a podgy body build, and they've also gone for skin colour. This should not be any more shocking than the reason why there aren't any (to my knowledge) Chinese vulcans.

If they did allow hobbits of any race, they would have to be more careful in facial structure. Maybe only allowing actors with round faces, for example. But of course, you can't do that, because they have to fit in with Sam, Frodo, Pippin, Merry and Bilbo from LOTR, all of whom give the audience a blueprint of hobbits. They're already pushing it by having Frodo, Pippin and Merry not podgy. They can't separate them more from the standard hobbit. They all have the same skin tone. Seems an obvious solution.
Reply 98
Original post by Yawn!

Original post by Yawn!
It's behavior like this from film-makers, along with the narrow-minded comments by some on this thread, that make me sick.

She wasn't trying to be the main actor for goodness sakes, she was just a fan wanting to be an EXTRA in the background. Why the f*** do you have to be white for that! Where does it say that ALL hobbits are white. This is anti-PC bull****, which is worse than PC bull****.

Now I wish Bollywood would stop casting white actors/actresses in their films. Which they do by the way, and they never get stereotyped or kept out of film productions for their skin colour.

So much for the modern, forward-thinking Western world.

Because lovey, the Shire is meant to represent rural countryside England. It is quite clear from both the books and the movies that this is how the book is meant to be. It detracts from atmosphere if facts within the films, especially if they are films as big and epic as Lord of the rings, when facts are wrong. Same as Elves being black, if elves were black it would detract from the image they are portrayed as in the film. They are extremely extremely pale creatures, which like it or not is a symbol of purity in genres such as fantasy. Why do you think they have blue eyes and flawless skin? Its symbolism...

A similar principle applies to Hobbits, if Hobbits theoretically evolved in Middle Earth in that part of Middle Earth [which is temperate], then there are not going to be any other varied Hobbits in terms of color. Blacks were represented in the film and the universe, but they were from different parts of Middle earth where a climate more like the Middle East prevailed. The Lord of the rings trilogy is set in temperate [or in some cases extremely cold] weather. Which predominantly is the territory of evolution for white skinned folk.
Reply 99
I really don't see the big deal. Filmmakers have every right to specify a "look" for a part, including hair and eye colour. Why should skin colour be any different? This is basically rural medieval Europe, it's a fair assumption that everyone is going to be white.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending