Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car Insurance... The last overt form of sexism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I did hear a while back that there was some legislation going through the EU, which would make it illegal for insurance companies to discriminate on gender. I remember it caused a bit of a stir.

On a side note, not only are young men effected by this but women over a certain age are charged more than men of that age because they are more likely to be involved in accidents.

ReputationRep:
    okay then, picture this...

I'm 17. Im a bloke. I have no wish to modify my car in any way or drive like an ape.

Its a safe, modern, sensible, reliable car. I passed my test with 2 minor faults, but when I come to insure my car for the first time, the cheapest quote i have had so far is £3532.99

its a 1.5 Diesel micra, 6 years old, the normal quote i get back is about £4000

about a month ago, my friend insured her much more powerful and sporty car, with 3 minors on her test. its just as new etc... but its a 1.9 Turbo Golf.

it cost her £879.90

explain that one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.