Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Oh right ok, so we continue to enforce unfairness because of that. Perfectly noble and just of you. :rolleyes:

No what you do is either raise the fees for the rest of British students or lower them for the English. Keeping it as it is fundamentally unjust for English people. This won't only affect students, but their parents and family too. As they struggle to help save money and pay for these fees.
    It's not "fundamentally unjust"! We have our own government, it has to look out for its own people! Devolution gives us the power to govern ourselves - why the hell should our Plaid/Labour government conform to Tory/Lib Dem policies?

And as far as I see it, the reason Scottish students will pay less in Wales is because THEIR government has decided they should. Am I wrong in that? At least, it can't be as simple as the Assembly just deciding to discriminate against English students for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Of course Wales wouldn't 'fare best'. You have to pay the higher fees, I don't. Get over it. I wish everyone would stop with this stupid competition mentality, we are all British. It's not very often that something good happens to Wales, to be fair. So let us have our f.ucking cheaper fees.
    I don't have to pay higher fees, I'm applying for 2011 entry, unless they're gonna hit us for our second and third years.

Yes, we are all British, and as such we should be in this together. English, Scottish, N.Irish or Welsh, we're all British.

This is going to cause problems. There may be some animosity towards Welsh students who paying a third of what English students pay for the exact same degree. In effect, English students are going to be almost like international students in their own country.

Secondly, where is this money coming from? The Welsh teaching budget - that's going to cause problems for Welsh universities. Cardiff will survive due to being in the Russell Group, but other institutions such as Swansea, Swansea Met, Aberystwyth, Bangor etc will suffer, just so Welsh kids can pay less at English institutions. Madness!

English students at an English university should pay either less, or the exact same as anyone else from the UK. It's appalling to think that English students will pay the most out of everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Cardiff will survive due to being in the Russell Group, but other institutions such as Swansea, Swansea Met, Aberystwyth, Bangor etc will suffer, just so Welsh kids can pay less at English institutions. Madness!
    They won't suffer because they will be able to charge English students the higher fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    It's not "fundamentally unjust"! We have our own government, it has to look out for its own people! Devolution gives us the power to govern ourselves - why the hell should our Plaid/Labour government conform to Tory/Lib Dem policies?

And as far as I see it, the reason Scottish students will pay less in Wales is because THEIR government has decided they should. Am I wrong in that? At least, it can't be as simple as the Assembly just deciding to discriminate against English students for the sake of it.
    Fair enough if the Welsh government wants Welsh students to study for less in Wales, I'm all for that.

If you don't want your Plaid/Labour government to conform to Tory/Lib Dem policies, then it's simple. Get out of the UK. If you want to benefit from the money Westminster gives you, but you don't want to conform to UK politics as a whole, get out. It's simple, become completely devolved and look after yourselves. You can't claim that you shouldn't conform to UK policy as a whole AND benefit from the money you get from the UK as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    They won't suffer because they will be able to charge English students the higher fees.
    Why would English students pay 6k-9k at a Welsh university when they know fine well that Welsh universities are going to be on the slide because the Welsh government is using the teaching budget to subsidise fees for Welsh students at English universities?

Makes no sense, you'd go where you can get the best value from. English students primarily stay in England anyways and those who do study in Wales won't be high enough in numbers to make up the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    you have to be a welsh domicile.

Basically you must have been permanently resident in Wales.

You have to be born in Wales and live in Wales.

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/educati...0fees/?lang=en
    Im not welsh, and will bloody well never say I am.
    But I will still get lower fee's.

Personally I think this is a disgrace.
    Why the hell should Irish/English/Scottish tax payers fund welsh student.
    England is already short changed by the barnet formula then welsh oh so love to complain about. By over £1000 per head.

Disgusting.

ReputationRep:

It damn well is unjust, when 75% of the Welsh assembly budget comes from English/scottish Irish tax payers.
    Over 50% from the English alone.

ReputationRep:
    Why would English students pay 6k-9k at a Welsh university when they know fine well that Welsh universities are going to be on the slide because the Welsh government is using the teaching budget to subsidise fees for Welsh students at English universities?

Makes no sense, you'd go where you can get the best value from. English students primarily stay in England anyways and those who do study in Wales won't be high enough in numbers to make up the cash.
    But they wouldn't be on the slide because they can charge the higher fees.
    If anything, Welsh unis would better of because even with the 12% cut in funding, and the extra help for welsh students, they won't see anything like the 80% cuts English unis are getting.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough if the Welsh government wants Welsh students to study for less in Wales, I'm all for that.

If you don't want your Plaid/Labour government to conform to Tory/Lib Dem policies, then it's simple. Get out of the UK. If you want to benefit from the money Westminster gives you, but you don't want to conform to UK politics as a whole, get out. It's simple, become completely devolved and look after yourselves. You can't claim that you shouldn't conform to UK policy as a whole AND benefit from the money you get from the UK as a whole.
    What a stupid thing to say. For the record, I do want Welsh independence although I'm not sure if it is feasible at the present, but why should devolved administrations conform to what the UK government wants? The whole point of devolution is so that we DON'T have to conform to what the UK government wants on matters that are devolved.

Maybe you guys should be protesting for English devolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    It damn well is unjust, when 75% of the Welsh assembly budget comes from English/scottish Irish tax payers.
    Over 50% from the English alone.
    I don't get how this is a valid argument? We have devolution, it doesn't matter where the money comes from - it comes from the UK central government. We decide what we want to do on devolved matters. That's the end of it...

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thing to say. For the record, I do want Welsh independence although I'm not sure if it is feasible at the present, but why should devolved administrations conform to what the UK government wants? The whole point of devolution is so that we DON'T have to conform to what the UK government wants on matters that are devolved.

Wales has, and never will have the economy to become its own country. Yorkshire makes more money for gods sake.

Dont have to conform, no.
    But your happy to take 75% of your budget from then....
    Make your mind up Wales, devolution, or English/scottish/Irish money?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how this is a valid argument? We have devolution, it doesn't matter where the money comes from - it comes from the UK central government. We decide what we want to do on devolved matters. That's the end of it...
    Well if you could read to any sort of standard you'd understand

Would the Welsh not complain if Welsh taxes payed for English students?
    Well ditto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But they wouldn't be on the slide because they can charge the higher fees.
    If anything, Welsh unis would better of because even with the 12% cut in funding, and the extra help for welsh students, they won't see anything like the 80% cuts English unis are getting.
    Yes, but they can only charge the higher fees to English students. How many English students would be willing to pay 6k+ to study in Wales? Bangor and Cardiff are probably the only universities worth paying that much at.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you could read to any sort of standard you'd understand

Would the Welsh not complain if Welsh taxes payed for English students?
    Well ditto.

Wales has, and never will have the economy to become its own country. Yorkshire makes more money for gods sake.

Dont have to conform, no.
    But your happy to take 75% of your budget from then....
    Make your mind up Wales, devolution, or English/scottish/Irish money?!
    Unfounded personal attacks on my reading skills? Nice...

Look, the UK government supplies devolved administrations with the budgets that they need. Similarly the federal government in the USA does the same for its states. Should people in California be complaining because their taxes are paying for people in another state?

ReputationRep:
    'Punished for being English...' About time I say.

ReputationRep:

Probably because most of your money comes from the UK government anyways.

Welsh independence will never be feasible because you're so reliant on the UK as a whole. I'm all for the Welsh assembly having the say on matters that affect Welsh students in Wales, but not when Welsh students will be paying less than English students at an English university.

I don't see how that's fair at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I live in Scotland. If i go to a Scottish university, I pay 0 fees. LOLOLOLOL

ReputationRep:
    Unfounded personal attacks on my reading skills? Nice...

Look, the UK government supplies devolved administrations with the budgets that they need. Similarly the federal government in the USA does the same for its states. Should people in California be complaining because their taxes are paying for people in another state?
    It wasn't really intended as an attack... Was a nobhead of a thing to say though, sorry...

Im not against devolution, I think its great to get you welsh of our back complaining (thats a joke ) And I have no problems paying taxes to the rest of the UK countries!

But I find it highly unfair that English, Scottish and Irish taxpayers should have to pay for something which is both unnecessary and unfair (not to mention it will probably do Welsh universities more harm than good! I live near Bangor, and that uni is in an insane amount of debt!), and then not receive any benefit at all from it! Reverse rolls, and Im sure you'd agree!

Now if it was a matter of Welsh students paying less in Welsh uni's, then fine, so be it.
    But I dont understand why they should not have to pay English fees, in English uni's. Especially when English students have no rights to the Welsh fees.

There is a massive difference between paying to health, public services, basic education ect and this situation!

ReputationRep:
    Probably because most of your money comes from the UK government anyways.

Welsh independence will never be feasible because you're so reliant on the UK as a whole. I'm all for the Welsh assembly having the say on matters that affect Welsh students in Wales, but not when Welsh students will be paying less than English students at an English university.

I don't see how that's fair at all.
    I do agree on the paying less fees outside of Wales. which does seem unfair. But anyway, see above on the funding matters..

And the fact that we are "so reliant on the UK", no thanks to the UK for that. We've been raped of our wealth for centuries here in Wales, and at the end of it what do they do? Destroy all our industry to say thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    'Punished for being English...' About time I say.
    PJ, your comment is cute.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.