Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In a civilised democracy - no. In the UK - yes, they can do whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Tbh it serves your friend right for protesting against fee rises that are necessary to keep higher education alive in this country... *shrug*
    So people aren't allowed to protest against what they think is wrong?
    At the risk of invoking Godwin's law, perhaps you should google "First They Came". Being able to legally protest against something you feel is wrong without being victimised is an important part of a democratic society.

In any case, i also disagree with the rises being necessary. But thats another topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    At the risk of invoking Godwin's law, perhaps you should google "First They Came". Being able to legally protest against something you feel is wrong without being victimised is an important part of a democratic society.

In any case, i also disagree with the rises being necessary. But thats another topic.
    My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek - I realise that you're allowed to protest about whatever you want.

I just think that protesting against some things is a waste of time. Just like footballers protesting against a penalty that's been given, their minds are already made up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Justify it by whose standards? For "being a hippie" , "being a liberal". lol.
    if they feel that they are threatened by a said person, they have to rights to defend themselves by going offensive.

My cousin is a police officer and he said that there is nothing in his guidelines that said that the police is not allowed to touch anyone. He said that his tutors during training trained him to defend themselves by going offensively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    if they feel that they are threatened by a said person, they have to rights to defend themselves by going offensive.

My cousin is a police officer and he said that there is nothing in his guidelines that said that the police is not allowed to touch anyone. He said that his tutors during training trained him to defend themselves by going offensively
    Would punching a peaceful protester in the chops be "defending" yourself?

ReputationRep:
    well if it's not allowed, it's not done
    it was done, so therefore it is allowed

you'll know what not to do next time!

ReputationRep:

no, they're allowed
    they should just expect to be punched in the face when what they think is wrong is right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    no, they're allowed
    they should just expect to be punched in the face when what they think is wrong is right
    I refer you back to what I said people should google then.
    The right to protest (without being punched in the face by a copper) is important in a democratic society. Those saying people protesting should be "punched in the face" because they disagree with the issue are no batter than Hitler.

Slightly on a different note - I wonder why no news outlets are report about the protestor who got run over by a cop car / van yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    I refer you back to what I said people should google then.
    The right to protest (without being punched in the face by a copper) is important in a democratic society. Those saying people protesting should be "punched in the face" because they disagree with the issue are no batter than Hitler.

Slightly on a different note - I wonder why no news outlets are report about the protestor who got run over by a cop car / van yesterday.
    point out to me "the right to protest" and after a careful analysis I will tell you whether it is or is not important.

you can't mediate your points- she has the right to protest, but the copper has the right to punch her in the face

And I am quite aware I am no batter than Hitler, but you, sir, are no better than Hitler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    Don't go to violent protests? Anyone of any worth was working at the time.
    It was a peaceful protest.

ReputationRep:
    They can use 'reasonable' force. Sadly, in their circumstances, their is no definition of 'reasonable'. If however you had punched them in the face, then 'reasonable' force would simply be a tap on the shoulder.

ReputationRep:
    The shoving can come under proportional force.punching no.Aside from the wrong doing.Any protest is potentialy a time bomb.probably the officer felt threatened not an excuse but solid reasoning.If hoodlums who turn up to protests JUST for a fight see weakness they'll push their luck and things will escalate

ReputationRep:
    of course they are, if you give them reason to. fact is, most police aren't going to punch you in the face unless you're acting like a massive violent ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    enjoying your oxford rejection?
    if this is meant to be some jokey attack on me? yes i am. i acknowledged clearly (i mean you can even look back in my posts if you really want) that i knew i'd get rejected. i'm going to be applying next year anyway, and i quote the admissions tutor "deferred applications are much less likely to be accepted." and bovd bout higher fees.

p.s. u an etonian? looks like it in your pic

(Original post by NGC773)
    You say this mow, but when your house gets robbed, you get mugged or someone steals your car im youll be the first person to go crying to them!
    this has never happened to me, but from what i've heard, the police are balls at solving any of this anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    fact is, most police aren't going to punch you in the face unless you're acting like a massive violent ****
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    if this is meant to be some jokey attack on me? yes i am. i acknowledged clearly (i mean you can even look back in my posts if you really want) that i knew i'd get rejected. i'm going to be applying next year anyway, and i quote the admissions tutor "deferred applications are much less likely to be accepted." and bovd bout higher fees.

p.s. u an etonian? looks like it in your pic

this has never happened to me, but from what i've heard, the police are balls at solving any of this anyway.

no. i'm not an etonian. what a ridiculous statement and premise. so what if i was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    no. i'm not an etonian. what a ridiculous statement and premise. so what if i was?
    not really ridiculous at all...your pic looks like one. nothing if you were, if anything it'd raise my view of you.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.
    really? why?

ReputationRep:
    Yes if the situation is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    really? why?
    Because some coppers are just legalised thugs. Most are not, but a small minority are. As I said before, anyone who has been to a football match which has been policed will have probably seen coppers going OTT. As much as I dislike Swansea, one of their fans was killed by a police horse a few years ago. Plus, look at the G20 protest last year. I think the IPCC actually suggested that copper should have been tried for manslaughter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.