Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the government provide EVERYONE with a winter survival kit? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    That remains to be seen. I'm not sure if I would donate, depends on the money situation...would you?
    Not really, I would not... And that is the point. If there are a lot of people like me then disabled and homeless people will be suffering in winter.

The reason I am limiting it to workers only is because its a) Optional i.e. not 100% needed and b) people get too much for free in this country
    Well, if you think they get ''too'' much why would you want to give this for free, again?

I doubt this pack will promote scrounging.
    It promotes inequality though. You support the richer but not the poorer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    Not really, I would not... And that is the point. If there are a lot of people like me then disabled and homeless people will be suffering in winter.

Well, if you think they get ''too'' much why would you want to give this for free, again?

It promotes inequality though. You support the richer but not the poorer.

Everyone is telling me that the pack is pointless, but now all of a sudden the disabled and homeless are going to suffer?

They're NOT getting it for free. It's coming out of workers tax money. An additional pound per month.

It doesn't promote inequality. If you can afford a winter pack, then go ahead, but if you can't afford it, tough. The same rule applies to most things in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    If this was implemented the UK would turn into an uber nanny state.
    It's bad enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    What do you mean?
    I doubt I climate is going to be similar to Siberia.

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.
    I have a better idea.
    Give the shovel and 250Kg grit to those on the job seekers allowance, and take away their benefits if they don't get out and sort out my road, the council here have done bugger all today.

ReputationRep:
    If they are working then they should be able to afford such a kit. For those not working they need all the help they can get.

OP should look again at his proposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    I doubt I climate is going to be similar to Siberia.
    No, but it's still plenty cold enough to need grit - some of the other stuff (blow torch?) seems a bit excessive, though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is telling me that the pack is pointless, but now all of a sudden the disabled and homeless are going to suffer?

They're NOT getting it for free. It's coming out of workers tax money. An additional pound per month.

It doesn't promote inequality. If you can afford a winter pack, then go ahead, but if you can't afford it, tough. The same rule applies to most things in life.
    What about people who do not work, but have money to afford and get it?

You said that this is only available for people who work, and now you said that if you can afford it then go ahead.

Does this mean people who do not work but can afford it can go ahead as well?

ReputationRep:
    WTF honestly, it's a bit of ****ing snow. Why is everyone acting like it's a nuclear winter? No the government should not provide a winter kit. People should get there own ****ing clothes!

ReputationRep:
    Scroungers have no right to have one, because well, they're scroungers. The disabled, homeless and elderly can have one with an optional donation scheme. For example you may not want the pack, but you offer to donate it to someone else.

Fairplay and that.

Its a contract. So you will pay for a number of months.

I'm well aware of that. But still, my point remains. It would take many years to even afford the grit. Supposing it was every month you paid £1, it would still take about ten years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    I'm well aware of that. But still, my point remains. It would take many years to even afford the grit. Supposing it was every month you paid £1, it would still take about ten years.
    OK, so maybe the price would have to go up if the person wants the grit plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    It is very rare to find someone that agrees with this statement. Most people I know, prefer either to stay at home or come to college with a cardigan and complain that is cold I sure dont get society this days...
    haha I was in a long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, jumper, hooded jacket and raincoat on my way to school this morning and I was happy as larry

ReputationRep:
    With the recent hit of bad weather, is it about time that the people of Britain receive a winter pack for the next few months? This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work. The winter pack would contain the following in a large rucksack (colours can be picked):

- Thermal gloves
    - Facemask
    - Long johns/leotard
    - Woolly hat
    - Scarf
    - Torch
    - Blowtorch
    - Ice scraper
    - Flask
    - Rain Mac
    - Thermal coat
    - Thermal vest
    - Thermal socks
    - Boots
    - Goggles

It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway. For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.

Discuss.
    Lol your a joker. Government is trying to save all sort of money already by increasing tuition fees, cutting ema... and you are talking about giving us winter kits?

Seriously what is the point? Everyone has everything they need for survival. I mean you don't necessarily need thermal vests or thermal socks to keep you warm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    haha I was in a long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, jumper, hooded jacket and raincoat on my way to school this morning and I was happy as larry
    loool.
    I wish I had college I hate that London stops because of the snow...

ReputationRep:
    With the recent hit of bad weather, is it about time that the people of Britain receive a winter pack for the next few months? This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work. The winter pack would contain the following in a large rucksack (colours can be picked):

- Thermal gloves
    - Facemask
    - Long johns/leotard
    - Woolly hat
    - Scarf
    - Torch
    - Blowtorch
    - Ice scraper
    - Flask
    - Rain Mac
    - Thermal coat
    - Thermal vest
    - Thermal socks
    - Boots
    - Goggles

It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway. For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.

Discuss.
    You are just a puffy communist you immense ******, man up you whore.

ReputationRep:
    The basic flaw with this proposal (may have already been pointed out, I only read the first page) is that the people who are in work should have the brains to spend their own money on essential winter gear, rather than burden the taxpayer (who may or may not use the equipment) with the cost.

Making provisions for the elderly in cold winters is another, better idea.

As somebody said, the people who really need this are the homeless and very poor. But much of this care is provided by charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Loy is God)
    You are just a puffy communist you immense ******, man up you whore.
    Stop crying, ****.

ReputationRep:
    Stop crying, ****.
    Stop trolling, prostitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    Stop trolling, prostitute.
    Have ago at the **** before. He was the one trolling, my dear.

ReputationRep:
    Yes definately, just take it from the education budget to fund it, like we care.. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.