Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkenMaster)
    Why dont more people donate blood? Let me see.
    1. The majority of sessions are during the day when most people are at work/uni etc. Not forgetting the hour lunch breaks they all take at the same time (thus further eliminating further donoations). Do they expect people to take anual leave?
    2. The sessions are usually overcrowded and you end up having to wait hours if you didn't book in advance.
    3. Half the staff at these places are rude.
    4. Like above, the blood service seem to have this attitude that they are doing you [the donor] a favour. When it is the other way round.
    5. Discrimination against gay's, people on medication, former drug user's etc etc
    6. Can be painful :eek:, the wooziness and the not being allowed to excercise afterwards.
    7. No rewards (unless you count crisps, tea and a key ring).
    1. Employers might let you have time off, if not there tend to be evenings sessions for exactly this reason
    2. Book then. It takes 5 minutes to call or do it on the internet
    3. Report them. They shouldn't be rude, and none of the staff I've met during my 7 donations have been rude and neither have any of the ones that I've met the other dozen times when I've accompanied friends.
    5. I've never encountered this either.
    6. That's because they carry higher risks of HIV and hepatitis and so on. AS I understand, the ban on gay people is going to be under review fairly soon.
    6. Man up. I have hideous veins so mine usually take a few attempts but I still go. As for the not exercising, one day won't kill you.
    7. I hope this is a joke

ReputationRep:
    Im glad you posted this. I always intended to but recently it's slipped my mind. However last night i looked up where i can give blood, and booked an appointment. I gave blood for the first time a few hours ago, and i intend on doing it again soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Im glad you posted this. I always intended to but recently it's slipped my mind. However last night i looked up where i can give blood, and booked an appointment. I gave blood for the first time a few hours ago, and i intend on doing it again soon.
    Well done!! :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    I definitely would if I was able to by general anaesthetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    Ah! They take the stem cells from the blood stream - after pumping up its quantity? Can you choose which method you want then?
    Essentially, yes. The chemokine causes the stemcells to leave the marrow and enter the blood stream, the machine then separates them out and returns the blood back into you.

I don't think you can choose, I think you're told if you're called which it will be, but my understanding is that it's more commonly the apheresis method.

ReputationRep:
    i would if i was over the stupid weight limit :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I definitely would if I was able to by general anaesthetic.
    Don't you like needles? Or blood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Don't you like needles? Or blood?
    I have a horrible horrible phobia of both.
    I really want to be able to help people, but even thinking about it makes me woozy!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to be able to help people, but even thinking about it makes me woozy!
    Don't worry about it too much, my friend is so scared of (only her own) blood she drops to the floor as soon as she sees it, that doesn't help anybody!

It might be worth trying to do something about the phobia though, you never know when you might to be injected in an emergency.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    Don't worry about it too much, my friend is so scared of (only her own) blood she drops to the floor as soon as she sees it, that doesn't help anybody!

It might be worth trying to do something about the phobia though, you never know when you might to be injected in an emergency.
    Part of the reason I'm keen to give blood is to get over my phobia of needles =D Fight the fear and all that!

ReputationRep:
    I find general anaesthetic worse than blood donation lol, I loathe those cannula (spelling?) after having hundreds of them stuck in my hand over the summer.
    I have found it's much better though if you take a friend to distract you and because you're lying down it means your less likely to faint. Facing your fear might help!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to...little scared of needles though.....maybe in couple years time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragaa)
    Well done!! :congrats:
    Haha thank you! To be honest i've been meaning to do it for a while, but could never muster the courage on the day, or didn't know where they were being held. I booked an appointment last night and i didn't want to let them down, so i went in. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be! Doing it again in four months.

ReputationRep:
    Can't donate because I had a blood transfusion as a baby.

ReputationRep:
    I too donate every 4 months.

I actually look forward to it, no idea why haha.
    I have shy veins too, every time I go it takes 3 nurses to try get the needle in the right place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I find general anaesthetic worse than blood donation lol, I loathe those cannula (spelling?) after having hundreds of them stuck in my hand over the summer.
    I have found it's much better though if you take a friend to distract you and because you're lying down it means your less likely to faint. Facing your fear might help!
    I had a kind of that in my arm for like a year. It was either that or continuous injections -shudder-
    My friends won't come with me, neither will my mum! I turn into a 3 year old at the sight of a needle, they're too embarrassed
    Although I know I need to face my fear. I'm having blood tests tomorrow (aahh) but surely the more blood tests I get the better I'll get with blood and stuff and I can give blood
    That was a bit of a ramble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Gail)
    Can't donate because I had a blood transfusion as a baby.
    Do you know the reason for which you are not allowed?

ReputationRep:
    I had a kind of that in my arm for like a year. It was either that or continuous injections -shudder-
    My friends won't come with me, neither will my mum! I turn into a 3 year old at the sight of a needle, they're too embarrassed
    Although I know I need to face my fear. I'm having blood tests tomorrow (aahh) but surely the more blood tests I get the better I'll get with blood and stuff and I can give blood
    That was a bit of a ramble
    so How did your blood tests sessions go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragaa)
    Do you know the reason for which you are not allowed?
    Because of the blood transfusion, which is pretty stupid since I was days old when i got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Gail)
    Because of the blood transfusion, which is pretty stupid since I was days old when i got it.
    yeah it is.
    I too had when I was baby( got speticemia) that made me wanted to donate blood.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.