Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Salters Chemistry B F332 Advance Notice Jan 2011 Understanding Our Changing Atmos Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyJunkIsYou)
    what did people get for the bond enthalpy question? thought it was a bit cheeky they changed it round from way they've done it in all the past papers. i think i got something like 348kJ :/

and the mole ratio one? how were you supposed to work it out? had no idea what to do, moved on and just bunged down 1:0.5 in a last minute rush
    Haha same, had like 10 seconds to go so just put that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyJunkIsYou)
    oh yeah well i got something to the 10^-19 for the first part, calculating the energy for a single bond.

And then it wanted the bond enthalpy in kj if i remember. that's what i got 348kj for. but then again i wasn't sure whether to divide or times by the avogadro constant so knowing me i probably did the wrong thing!
    No you did it right, the answer was 348kj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darthdevidem)
    How many marks do you think we'll need for 90 UMS or 100UMS?

For 90 I reckon 82/100 raw marks

For 100 I reckon 90/100 raw marks

Anyone else agree?
    Isn't the UMS out of 150 for this paper? Or have i just made this up? :confused:

You may know this but i am guessing not as 100 ums for 90/100 marks would mean full marks (100) for 150 and that would be plain mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will170393)
    No you did it right, the answer was 348kj
    oo well hopefully that's at least 4 marks out of the hundred i got then ha

ReputationRep:

Anyone else agree?
    72 raw marks for 120 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will170393)
    Haha same, had like 10 seconds to go so just put that
    Wow that was a popular guess! I did it aswell.

Though I did do a random method and got 0.4 but u still put 0.5

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=catz64;29481975]Isn't the UMS out of 150 for this paper? Or have i just made this up? :confused:QUOTE]

Pretty sure it is 150 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpurkis1)
    The answer of X * 10^-19 needed to be multiplied by avogadro's constant (6.02 * 10 ^23) to work out the bond enthalpy. They might accept answers in a range of between 320 - 370, from what I've seen and heard from people.
    Ahhh balls. I divided Avagadros constant. i converted my answer to KJ tho, maybe i got 1 mark out of the 2.

What did you get for the equilbrium quesition? and the alkene question (what are alkenes for)

ReputationRep:

Anyone else agree?
    It is a 150 UMS paper, so I think 90/100 raw marks would be a lot more :P as you aren't going to get 50 UMS marks from the last 10 raw marks...

ReputationRep:
    What was the reagent and condition for the propane to 2-chloropropane reaction?

I has no idea so I just guessed heat and HCL

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom108)
    Ahhh balls. I divided Avagadros constant. i converted my answer to KJ tho, maybe i got 1 mark out of the 2.

What did you get for the equilbrium quesition? and the alkene question (what are alkenes for)
    You should get 1 mark for the method.

Which equilibrium question; there were two?

And for source of alkene I put crude oil.

--

(Original post by gozatron)

I put conc. hydrochloric acid at stp.

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_chloride ) says reflux with conc. HCl.

ReputationRep:

I realised I had left it blank in the last few minutes and did some frantic fiddling around on my calculater and also got 0.4 :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpurkis1)
    You should get 1 mark for the method.

Which equilibrium question; there were two?

And for source of alkene I put crude oil.

--

I put conc. hydrochloric acid at stp.

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_chloride ) says reflux with conc. HCl.
    Both of them... I went on about ho the system would counteract the change in both of them, and said they yeild would increase for temperature, and decrease for pressure. think i was wrong.

Would making plastics be right for the ethene quesiton?

ReputationRep:
    Both of them... I went on about ho the system would counteract the change in both of them, and said they yeild would increase for temperature, and decrease for pressure. think i was wrong.

i said to make polypropene e.g. fibres?? -.-

ReputationRep:

Increase pressure: Favour side with least gas molecules, so shift to left, increasing yield.
    Increase temperature: Favour endothermic side as system moves to remove extra heat. Reactants-forming reaction was endothermic, and so yield decrease.

I thought the alkene question at the front of the paper was asking for a source, not a use of, the alkene :confused: ...

ReputationRep:
    Were the equilibrium questions out of 2 or 3?

ReputationRep:
    2 marks each.

Methinks.

ReputationRep:

I think the ratio of Na:K was 1:0.85

Potassium (K) is 39.1
    Na is 23, but there was twice as many, so 2Na = 46

For the Na: as one, 46/46 = 1
    For the Potassium, 39.1/46 = 0.85

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodezy12)
    I think the ratio of Na:K was 1:0.85

Potassium (K) is 39.1
    Na is 23, but there was twice as many, so 2Na = 46

For the Na: as one, 46/46 = 1
    For the Potassium, 39.1/46 = 0.85
    It was a 1 or 2 mark question. If they wanted you to use the molecular mass they would have given it below the question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.