Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hanging out with SOME white people can get sooooo tedious, I hope I don't turn racist Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hang on I think I've cracked it ..... Op is a member of the BNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    if you want me out, then kick me out, but ofource your too scared to even look me in the eye in real life....
    Says everything we need to know really, hes just the guy who would attack you, with his mates laughing in the background ready to make sure you cant fight back, for "disrespecting" him - also known as walking near him.

(Original post by ajtiesto)
    Couldn't agree more. The Brits are always ranting on about the Germans and how they defeated them. But when question about their role in slavery and during the British Empire days, it's al brushed under the ********* carpet.

This country is a ********** disgrace.
    Ah yes, how dare we be the force that ended slavery, we should hang our heads in shame. Let’s not recognise that slavery was a black idea, first practised in Africa. We as a civilisation were stupid and ignorant and believed when we were told that the slaves were below human - when we grew up we led the world in ending what we knew was wrong (that even Africa hadn’t leant yet).

the british go on about the terrrist attacks, and they do constantly remind german folk about world war 2 whenever the footie is on, even the newspapers do this

you still haven't answered my question have you?

idiot, I hope you get what's coming to you.....
    Terrorist attacks are a real current threat that needs dealing with. Nazism and the evil horrific extermination of life the Nazis did - along with everything else they did, was defeated. They didn’t learn or develop and realise it was wrong, they were already fully developed but just pure evil and needed stopping. This should never be forgotten.

If you wants someone to blame for slavery maybe you should look at the African nations that started and kept it going, and sold the idea to the world - not the people who learnt what was right and wrong and ended the practice.

Nice to see you end with a typical threat showing more of who you really are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4ttari)
    People lie but numbers don't lie,about 1.5 million white british voted for BNP these past elections and thats excluding all other racist parties.In europe right-wingers are coming into power and have started to apply their racist policies.
    You said 50%

There are around 40 million voters in the UK.

If 1.5 million voted for the BNP, how is that 50%?

I don't know of any 'racist' policies in Europe. If there are, I disagree with it.

ReputationRep:
    Noticing that your 'black' and asking a question as to your heritage is comparable to noticing a 'white' person with an unknown accent and asking them.

It isn't our fault that your 'black' and your difference is easily noticed. There is no racism is noticing that you are 'black', why the **** should there be? Racism is when one would favour an individual less over the color of their skin. The fact that people ask you about your heritage is at the VERY worst insensitive given how you react and at the very LEAST showing some interest in you as an individual.

We aren't all black, and for most white english people you are different but not in a way where we shun you, many people are simply curious because you have been brought up in a different culture. Maybe some are a bit ignorant, but the majority are simply being curious.

This reminds me of this delightfully funny and yet controversial video from Fat Pie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwz3Hnnw5L4

ReputationRep:
    this is whay I said the word "some" and highlighted it in capital letters in the thread title right? :rolleyes:
    I wasn't talking about the title. You used it there, yes. For the most of the thread, you just said 'white people'.

My best friend is white, I know he's not racist, but SOME are!
    Yeah some. But a minority.

err...shudda gone to specsavers?
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Excuse me, can you speak for your own country. If you had said black British people need to get over slavery, then I would totally agree.

I have only ever come across this slave mentality in Black British people. You do not know anything about black people in Africa to be making such a comment. I don't know much about America but from my observations they have come a long way from slavery. Black British people are the ones who need to sort themselves out.
    My father's black, half my family is black yet none of them have a "slave mentality", nor do they need to "sort themselves out". I think you're the one who needs to sort themselves out here.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I don't think it's racist to be ignorant. When you respond back with, 'where do you come from?' they probably perceive it as you being cold, not a genuine question.
    They probably feel awkward, or are paranoid about being perceived as racist, and therefore want to bring up race quickly in an open manner to assure you they're not racist. I can see why people are paranoid like this because so many things can be interpreted as racist, that unfortunately, around someone of an ethnic minority, you can actually end up coming across as awkward/stupid due to a border-line anxiety of being perceived as racist.
    And for a lot of people being considered racist is something they wouldn't want to risk.
    A while ago a guy said to me that Libertarians use threats of being accused of being racist/sexist/etc. as authoritarian tools of imposing what they want. To be honest, a lot of the time I feel this is true. Not politically, but just in a liberal environment there seems to be more racial tension than in a conservative environment.
    I personally think you're depreciating the term 'racist' tbh.
    Though, I personally wouldn't have made some of the comments your uni 'mates' made, it's hardly racist. They were probably trying to ease the tension initially with a joke regarding your race, and then you reacted badly, they felt more awkward but felt confident they weren't racist, so they made another joke, until eventually they found it funny or assumed you were playing along when you got offended.
    I do agree it's annoying when people make stupid comments like, 'I'm not trying to be racist or anything, but x race ****ing stinks!' or something. It's like, dude, piss off. Even if it's not racist, it doesn't make you any more justified in making harsh comments that were unwarranted.
    EMZ=/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daytona01)
    Noticing that your 'black' and asking a question as to your heritage is comparable to noticing a 'white' person with an unknown accent and asking them.

It isn't our fault that your 'black' and your difference is easily noticed. There is no racism is noticing that you are 'black', why the **** should there be? Racism is when one would favour an individual less over the color of their skin. The fact that people ask you about your heritage is at the VERY worst insensitive given how you react and at the very LEAST showing some interest in you as an individual.

We aren't all black, and for most white english people you are different but not in a way where we shun you, many people are simply curious because you have been brought up in a different culture. Maybe some are a bit ignorant, but the majority are simply being curious.

This reminds me of this delightfully funny and yet controversial video from Fat Pie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwz3Hnnw5L4

But that's the point, I have been brought up in the SAME culture, so are millions of blacks and asians.... so why so curious? Don't tell me this is the first time you relaised that there are black people being brought up in the same culture as you?

and to the people that say slavery was a long time ago, and the terrorist attacks happened recently, does this mean we must tell jewish people to not speak of the holocaust? Do we never rub the seond world war into german peoples faces whenever they cream us at football?

when our kids are our age, will they never speakof 9/11?

Do you honstly believe that black people are not at a disadvantage in this country?

I also like the fact that not one person has confirmed "yes blacks and asians did fight alon side us"...now all of a sudden the world was are irrelevant, no doubt you will be talking about it again the next time england face germany in the footie though!

you people are dumb and im really losing faith in this 'non racist' country....

ReputationRep:
    This has all been blown way out of proportion and at least 3 of the pages in this thread are horribly racist.

OP, I appreciate you emphasising your lack of racist feelings in your first most and was mildly sympathetic towards it as I was reading it. Then I read the rest of the thread and witnessed you behaving as badly, if not worse than those you are fed up with.

Incidently, concerning your first post, I think it's simply a case of misunderstanding from both parties. I do think you're being a little over sensitive- not towards the joke, that's out of order and you should always voice your opinions if something like that upsets you. You shouldn't just ignore it because everyone else finds it funny- but in terms of people asking you questions, consider that they really are just curious; either that or they feel slightly worried, due to our over PC culture, that they might say something to upset you and are therefore trying to show a great deal of interest in you.

In the future, if people ask where you're from, I would suggest saying something along the lines of 'England. But my parents/ancestors are from [wherever]. What about you?'

P.S: Yes, Black people did fight along side us in the world wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by united.spammers)
    My father's black, half my family is black yet none of them have a "slave mentality", nor do they need to "sort themselves out" sort yourself out. I think you're the one who needs to sort themselves out here.
    I'm speaking from a general observation. I find a lot of Black British people have issues with other races and a lot of it seems to stem from their bitterness with the slavery. They seem to have issues with white people not treating them as fellow citizens and they also have issues with Africans.

I cannot even count the amount of times Black British people have given me so much attitude, when I dig deeper, I'm told it's to do with the whole slavery thing :rolleyes:. Oh and they also think they are better than Africans, I still get it a lot.

I'm sorry this slave mentality may not exist in your family but then it generally is a common theme amongst Black born British people. The OP is a perfect example.

The guy has such an identity crisis he's even offended by white people asking him where he's from. That's really sad in my opinion.

I'm always glad and actually prefer people who take time to find out where I'm from. At least it shows that the individual appreciates that not every black person is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabriella)
    This has all been blown way out of proportion and at least 3 of the pages in this thread are horribly racist.

OP, I appreciate you emphasising your lack of racist feelings in your first most and was mildly sympathetic towards it as I was reading it. Then I read the rest of the thread and witnessed you behaving as badly, if not worse than those you are fed up with.

Incidently, concerning your first post, I think it's simply a case of misunderstanding from both parties. I do think you're being a little over sensitive- not towards the joke, that's out of order and you should always voice your opinions if something like that upsets you. You shouldn't just ignore it because everyone else finds it funny- but in terms of people asking you questions, consider that they really are just curious; either that or they feel slightly worried, due to our over PC culture, that they might say something to upset you and are therefore trying to show a great deal of interest in you.

In the future, if people ask where you're from, I would suggest saying something along the lines of 'England. But my parents/ancestors are from [wherever]. What about you?'

P.S: Yes, Black people did fight along side us in the world wars.

This is ecxactly what I say. :| But when youv are asked this everywhere you turn, it does get a little tedious.....

oh and just wanted to correct you, blacks did fight alongside you, aswel as indians and Pakistanis Unfortunatly MOST (not some, but most this time! ) white people believe they won the war on their own...dumbasses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I'm speaking from a general observation. I find a lot of Black British people have issues with other races and a lot of it seems to stem from their bitterness with the slavery. They seem to have issues with white people not treating them as fellow citizens and they also have issues with Africans.

I cannot even count the amount of times Black British people have given me so much attitude, when I dig deeper, I'm told it's to do with the whole slavery thing :rolleyes:. Oh and they also think they are better than Africans, I still get it a lot.

I'm sorry this slave mentality may not exist in your family but then it generally is a common theme amongst Black born British people. The OP is a perfect example.

The guy has such an identity crisis he's even offended by white people asking him where he's from. That's really sad in my opinion.

I'm always glad and actually prefer people who take time to find out where I'm from. At least it shows that the individual appreciates that not every black person is the same.
    yet your in the clubs every night, dancing away to black music.... and if you even bothered to read my first post (and not sweep it under the rug) you wuld see that i don't mind when someone is geuinly interested (did you not read this part?) but alot of the times they use it as a subtle way of drawing racial lines and only seem to be interested with this aspect, and nothing else.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.