Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always fall asleep on planes.
    I have to, or else i'll get bored and i will just notice every thing i see/feel.
    Like one time, i got so bored i keep staring at people sleeping and i keep moving on my chair because i THINK i feel uncomfortable even if im really am comfy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    I know what you mean but surely you can't be so tired that you are incapable of keeping yourself awake? Read a book, have a drink, stand up for a bit...
    its weird, i dont know why i cant keep myself awake, i really do try, one time i was like oh bloody hell slapping myface to keep myself up and the lady next to me was like 'are you alright?' and people were staring at me with a worried look, i said i was trying to keep myself awake and the bus was going soooo slow too.

most of the time i usually have lots of sketchbooks under one arm and some god damn large canvas on the other, soo moving about wasnt a good idea at the time.

I dont usually sleep now because i dont take the bus during rush hours.

ReputationRep:
    I don't sleep on busses, but as soon as I sit down on a plane, I'm out like a light until it reaches its destination. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, it always happens. Other fond memories include getting totally munted and falling asleep under a pub table and in a locked bathroom at a house party while about 10 people banged on the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Er, yeah, that would be me. I find the motion of the bus soothing, so shoot me. I always wake up for my stop though.
    This :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    ..like on public transport? do you wake them up or just let them snooze and maybe miss their stop?

:mmm:

firstly that Fennec in your sig is adorable...well the sig is adorable.

Anyway I would hope they would, I fall asleep on the bus the majority of the time. I can fall asleep very easily on public transport even in uncomfortable positions. Usually I'll just get a tap on the shoulder when we're at the stop to get off (it's a 35-40 min bus journey) or I'll be sitting next to someone who odds are I may be sleeping on, they'll be getting off at the same stop or the one after so will wake me up.

If I know where they get off I obviously will. If it's a stranger, I've not seen them on the bus before and most people catch it to were it terminates(say city centre) I might not in case they wanted to sleep (I often do).

ReputationRep:
    I never have, but I am pretty terrified of falling asleep in public...

I dont know.. i suppose if they're on a train looked friendly, and sat next to you, you could wake them up

ReputationRep:
    Have none of you ever thought of setting alarms on your phones 20 minutes before you're estimated to get off or something? IDK if it'd work v. well with the noise in public transport, probably would make it easier for someone to wake you up though.
    Just seems quite a lot of you have issues with it :P.
    I personally don't fall asleep on the bus but a couple of times have completely zoned out thinking about god knows what and missed stops just staring out the window... and the bus home is 10 minutes max. with traffic lmao.
    EMZ=P

ReputationRep:
    I have to fight to stay awake on transport :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Maybe they didn't want to disturb you from your slumber? It was the last stop after all, so it's not like the train kept on taking you to the middle of nowhere :p:

I try not to fall asleep in public when I'm on my own, just because I'd feel a bit vulnerable otherwise :o:. The most I'd do is just close my eyes for a while to rest them, whilst clutching my bag and trying to keep aware of my surroundings.
    tbh, I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere, and was severely sleep deprived so was quite grateful of the extra nap time!

ALWAYS clutch my bag! had two with me and one was quite big so i made sure to put the opening towards me and put my leg through the strap!

ReputationRep:
    Commuting during my gap year I saw the odd person with a sign around their neck, that they had put in place, instructing somebody to wake them up at their stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdr)
    tbh, I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere, and was severely sleep deprived so was quite grateful of the extra nap time!

ALWAYS clutch my bag! had two with me and one was quite big so i made sure to put the opening towards me and put my leg through the strap!
    :five: I do exactly that too! So at least if someone were to try to take your bag, they couldn't do it in a discreet way that you wouldn't notice and wake up :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    ..like on public transport? do you wake them up or just let them snooze and maybe miss their stop?

:mmm:

people actually fall asleep in fast food restaurants too, it seems. Spotted two men fast asleep at McDonalds a while ago, in exactly the same position at the window but in two separate restaurants along the same road. Made me chuckle
    I used to get a bus to work that took an hour and half. I would often sleep on that but i often woke up after hitting my head on the window, lol. I only sleep on trains if i am going the full journey with no changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_x)
    Haha not quite what I meant. I mean if you had, like, a prebooked ticket on a train or something, so the destination was printed on it :lol:
    haha! Though I've always wanted to wake someone up on a bus and then we'd fall in love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I used to get a bus to work that took an hour and half. I would often sleep on that but i often woke up after hitting my head on the window, lol. I only sleep on trains if i am going the full journey with no changes.
    The Virgin Trains from London to Manchester are the best

ReputationRep:
    Fallen asleep on public transport is one thing, but in Mcdonalds? I've never done that.
    I have woken up a man once, we were on the London Underground and we came to the end of the line. I was walking down the platform and saw this man fast asleep with his face pressed to the window so I knocked on the window.

It worked.

ReputationRep:
    I fall lightly asleep at the back of the bus sometimes, just closing my eyes. Happened in boring Economics lectures too, when I still did the subject. :nyoron:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how people do this, they must just be incredibly tired. I'm a deep sleeper and have never fallen asleep in public (even when drinking, oh and except once on a 9 hour plane journey, if that counts). I don't wake them up because I wouldn't know which stop they want, and it's their responsibility anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.