Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would improve a coffee shop for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I've spent a reasonable amount of time in coffee shops (desperate to work in one actually...) and I've only ever heard about three people ask for a 'coffee'. Most people are insanely specific, like asking for a medium latte with an extra shot and hazelnut syrup or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Open 24 hours, free newspapers, free fast Wi-Fi, more space than most Starbucks, and of course good coffee.

cheap coffee can also be good coffee considering the amount it takes to pick coffee

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hoppy77)
      Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Any replies would be really appreciated
      Hi

Firstly, the thing I hate most about buying a coffee is the queueing and then getting treated like a piece of **** when you get to the counter. Maybe an app to order coffee could be in order!! One of the main things that I think would improve a cofffee shop is like somebody said, you pay per unit so you can have a the size and type of coffee you want, and also I would like something like a coffee subway if you get me? Where you can say cream? Yes please! A wee malteser on it? Go on then!
      I think for the actual shop you need comfy seats like sofa style or them bubble type chairs that you can lounge is, there is nothing worse than a crappy wooden chair. And personally, I would base it on a place like Amsterdam, chilled out, friendly, warm and open until late at the weekend (and most nights) with the occasional live music-like an acoustic guitar player hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by py0alb)
      I always think wifi is overrated. How many people just happen to have a laptop on them when they go shopping?
      Lots of people came in to do work, one of the guys used to come in and write his newspaper article every morning

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
      Lots of people came in to do work, one of the guys used to come in and write his newspaper article every morning
      I'm sure it is useful, but I do think that a couple of computers for use by customers without a laptop would be a huge bonus too. Make it so they have to type in a number on their receipt and they get 10 minutes or something (you could relax that if its not busy). I think that's a good deal, and would get lots of customers.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Being served by naked female models.

ReputationRep:
      A coffee shop based around Finnish metal music.

ReputationRep:
      I'm sure it is useful, but I do think that a couple of computers for use by customers without a laptop would be a huge bonus too. Make it so they have to type in a number on their receipt and they get 10 minutes or something (you could relax that if its not busy). I think that's a good deal, and would get lots of customers.
      Make sure you have coffee-proof keyboards.

ReputationRep:
      Membership scheme whereby for every so many coffee's you purchase you get one free.

Oh and bean bags, the coffee shop I used to go to had lots of them

ReputationRep:
      blow jobs.

Or comfy chairs.

Or comfy chairs that give blow jobs

ReputationRep:
      Coffee shops that also stay open into the evening and serve beer and wine at non-extortionate prices are also both rare and :top:
      Boozer! :yy:

ReputationRep:
      Our cafe was a minute away from the library, which has dozens of computers that are free to use though, so I'm not sure it would have worked, plus it wouldn't have gone with the general ambience. Also, school children were the bane of our lives and it might have attracted them.

We also had those cardboard loyalty cards that you stamp which were good.

ReputationRep:
      Go to Amsterdam and replicate their coffee shops.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aurora.)
      Tbh I've spent a reasonable amount of time in coffee shops (desperate to work in one actually...) and I've only ever heard about three people ask for a 'coffee'. Most people are insanely specific, like asking for a medium latte with an extra shot and hazelnut syrup or whatever.
      'Indignant.

Might as well just ask for the bean, itself.

ReputationRep:
      Theres a coffee shop in Cardiff that is fantastic, called Coffee No1 or something. It's cheap, (only place apart from like supermarket cafes I can get a mug of tea for a quid these days), unfussy and has some unusual and fab drinks (steamed apple juice and cinnamon anyone? :sogood: )

So, yeah, no protentiousness, affordable drinks and an abundance of squishy sofas. Also drink and snack deals are always good, like a cup of coffee and a toasted sandwich for £3.50 or whatever.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
      Our cafe was a minute away from the library, which has dozens of computers that are free to use though, so I'm not sure it would have worked, plus it wouldn't have gone with the general ambience. Also, school children were the bane of our lives and it might have attracted them.

We also had those cardboard loyalty cards that you stamp which were good.
      I guess it depends on the cafe, but I don't see why it would spoil the atmosphere. Cafes normally have a relaxed, studious, bookish atmosphere, and I personally think access to the internet would fit in neatly with this.

ReputationRep:
      1. comfy seats/sofas/chairs and more of them too
      2. a new method of calling you up for your drink or bringing it to you, normally in starbucks especially c.london there are huge groups of people waiting in a tiny corner for their drinks
      3. have workers taking the order who don't have very strong accents
      4. nice/relaxing music
      5. someone said sky sports : NO!
      6. age limit maybeeee >14?
      7. some things are ridiculously overpriced like those flap jack things, muffins and fruit salads
      8. free wifi
      9. section of the room where people can sit with laptops and work and other sections where people can chat, I feel bad when I'm with friends and start talking when there are people around me working
      10. smaller sized drinks

ReputationRep:
      Hi,

There are a multitude of replies here, so I'll just say what I've always observed in UK chain coffee shops - originality! Costa, Starbucks and whatnot are nicely designed, yes, but they're almost identical wherever you go. I'm not talking unique as in a different colour theme, different chairs, etc, I mean totally different - pick a theme and build around it. Make your coffee shop have something special that the dull chains don't have.

Several examples:

1) One in the UK near my home was called Bizzy Lizzie's (I think that's how it was named). The inner colour scheme was a mild white, yellow and blend of summer themes, whilst the outside logo was a bee's black and yellow. The interior walls had beautiful shots of bees in flowers, all of which were taken by staff members of community members. The coffee shop was the pride of a small village.

2) In my city here in China, every coffee shop is a different world of design. They put every chain shop I have ever seen in the UK to shame. One example is in my university campus. It keeps to a pleasant, wooden theme with a colour scheme of purples contrasted with slightly brighter colours such as mild yellow or red. The chairs and tables are all of a cross European-Chinese style wood along with some comfy chairs, and the cafe has dim but very warming mood lighting. The entire cafe keeps to this theme and is extremely comfortable.

3) One more example is again in my city. It's a French-inspired designed cafe on two floors - with a green, cream and white colour scheme and European-inspired pictures of architecture and paintings on the wall. The upper floor is beautifully designed with circular tables painted green and tall stools, which are placed along a long window from which you can watch the street below. One wall is totally covered with neatly placed sticky notes with individual messages written by customers - writing quotes, admiration for the coffee shop, or just thoughts. Every table has a European-style notebook which any customer can open and write in whatever they like within politeness.

4) One final example - something unique to be known for. Another coffee shop designed for lovers in my city has a room full of beautifully painted and crafted wooden lockers. For a small charge based on how long the rental is for, customers can rent a locker to store whatever they like in - not for general storage, but only for special occasions. For example, a couple come in on January 15th 2010, their anniversary, and rent a locker. They put in photos, a notebook with memories, and other anniversary keepsakes. The locker is locked, fee paid, and is due to be opened one year later - on their next anniversary. The shop owner will keep track of rentee phone numbers and open dates, and when the anniversary comes again next year, the shop owner will call that couple and remind them that their anniversary is the next day, and their locker can be opened. They come in, have the same coffee they did last year, and open the locker full of memories. The cafe is remembered well because it plays a key role in a couple's most important day.

A nice story? Other purposes could be for someone to secretly put a gift in for his girlfriend, and make her go to the coffee shop on a certain date to open it.

One final thing. Be remembered for your music. It's nice to hear today's tunes, but this is a coffee shop and your customers will hear today's pop music in every other shop. Play something soft and related to your theme. Think Tokyo Cafe, if you've heard that album before.

--Oh and another final final thing. Consider a study cafe, as some others have mentioned. Such cafes are extremely popular here in China - in fact, most cafes allow study. When I go into a cafe, as long as I order more than a few things, I'm welcome to sit and study in peace for hours on end. The cafe should be quiet - make this rule known - with either dim or warm lighting - no fluorescent lights! Play some very quiet, instrumental mood music or none at all - though most I've seen settle with quiet music. Have free wifi, maximum double-size tables, a plug socket under every desk (twin sockets for double tables), and a reading lamp fixed to each table. Set a minimum charge for each customer to avoid too little profit with too many customers.

ReputationRep:
      drinks not being overpriced and friendly staff

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.