The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OP, as a few people have said all 4 of those points are wrong, or at least can be true but only in unusual circumstances (the confined in weekends one is really ridiculous, we have the opposite problems with binge drinking on weekends).

The British aren't racist either, one of the least racist countries in the world and to experience racism you'd be very unlucky, but **** does happen here which is bad - just like everywhere else.

Give a bit of lenience to the people annoyed anyway, you have come on a British forum and said generalisations, the way you worded it sounded racist as well, so people will get defensive - same with any other country.

Basically, if you move here it's a country where you'll get back what you put in, put time into appreciating the culture and it will appreciate you.

Unless you live in one of the backwards places like Devon.
Are you American, by any chance?
Reply 82
Tsk tsk..I feel bad for the poor thing but seriously what cant you Google about nowadays?

Anyway everyone is trying to tell you that if you already have preconceived notions about the country then you will have a hard time fitting in. Yes shops close around 5 but its not a big deal especially when Tesco/Sainsbury deliver.Anything else you need make time for around uni classes to go get. Most high street shops also deliver.

No we arent confined to our halls, we pretty much go out when we want and come back when we want. Its not a communist state. We also have friends stay over.

As an international student, I'll try not to be insulted. Yes I study hard but I balance that by having fun the usual way, drinks at the pub, dinners out, club, relaxing over a cuppa. Some students are over the top no matter where they are.

Having lived and worked in the US, completed my undergraduate in Australia and now PG in the UK I can say its different but not def not boring. Its still quality education and the locals are nice and some even super cute - hah.
Reply 83
Dear friends from the UK,

Chill the **** out. It's Christmas season.
Reply 84
Original post by Tessaaa
okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

1) Do all the shops really close at 5pm?
It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

4) Is life really going to be as boring and bland as a cup of water?

If all the above are true, then I'll have to re-think my decision :/

Update:
To all the people who thought i was stereotyping and offensive or whatever else. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out this way. It's just what relatives and friends I have there told me. Before that, going to the uk to live and study had always been my dream because I really really love the culture there. It's different and seems really exciting and just wonderful. The purpose of this thread is to look for some reassurance that my 'dream' wouldn't turn out to be as ****ty as I have heard. I don't believe in the stereotypes entirely because I haven't been there so I'm in no position to do so. Here's and apology to all the people I have unintentionally offended. I'm sorry.

1. Yes

2. It depends what type of uni you go to. You're not required to be there. It's up to you, transport, etc.

3. No

4. No, life's what you make it :smile:
Reply 85
I am from the UK (worked and studied in London and Belfast) and have also spent time studying and working in Argentina, France and Canada and now live in Portugal so have been fortunate enough to have had a fairly broad life experience in terms of where I have lived. I can certainly see where the original poster is coming from with some of her assumptions about life is the UK although I do feel that, as has been said, the tone was a little too negative and dismissive. The UK actually has one of the highest emigration rates in the developed world with 1.8 million people having left in the last 13 years which is interesting given that it is a country with a high GDP and one which attracts a large number of immigrants due to its reputation as a vibrant, "first world" nation. My personal experience is that the standard of people's quality of life, which encompasses culture, lifestyle, food, mentality and climate, is really not actually that high in the UK in comparison to many other similar income countries such as Canada, France and Italy. I believe that this is because not enough value is placed on certain aspects of life such as relationships, family, friends, food and a healthy, happy lifestyle in general and too much emphasis is placed on capitalism and consumerism (as a result, probably, of influence from the US) and on presenting a facade to the world. In this way I have found many people in the UK to be less genuine that in other countries, more aloof and more fickle. There is also a serious issue with alcohol abuse throughout most demographic groups. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule and the UK is home to some lovely, happy and wonderful individuals but as a society, on the whole, I just don't think it functions as well as some of the other places I have lived. I always say to people that it is an interesting place to visit and I encourage them to do so in order to make up their own mind having had first-hand experience but that I personally wouldn't choose (and I am lucky to have the choice) to live there.
Reply 86
Original post by Chris5031
I am from the UK (worked and studied in London and Belfast) and have also spent time studying and working in Argentina, France and Canada and now live in Portugal so have been fortunate enough to have had a fairly broad life experience in terms of where I have lived. I can certainly see where the original poster is coming from with some of her assumptions about life is the UK although I do feel that, as has been said, the tone was a little too negative and dismissive. The UK actually has one of the highest emigration rates in the developed world with 1.8 million people having left in the last 13 years which is interesting given that it is a country with a high GDP and one which attracts a large number of immigrants due to its reputation as a vibrant, "first world" nation. My personal experience is that the standard of people's quality of life, which encompasses culture, lifestyle, food, mentality and climate, is really not actually that high in the UK in comparison to many other similar income countries such as Canada, France and Italy. I believe that this is because not enough value is placed on certain aspects of life such as relationships, family, friends, food and a healthy, happy lifestyle in general and too much emphasis is placed on capitalism and consumerism (as a result, probably, of influence from the US) and on presenting a facade to the world. In this way I have found many people in the UK to be less genuine that in other countries, more aloof and more fickle. There is also a serious issue with alcohol abuse throughout most demographic groups. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule and the UK is home to some lovely, happy and wonderful individuals but as a society, on the whole, I just don't think it functions as well as some of the other places I have lived. I always say to people that it is an interesting place to visit and I encourage them to do so in order to make up their own mind having had first-hand experience but that I personally wouldn't choose (and I am lucky to have the choice) to live there.

Deserves a postive rep due to the thought and care put into the post to make it balanced and a fair reflection on UK life.
Original post by Lewroll
I dont know where you've been going in the US but i think its amazing. Clean, friendly nice people, a lot to do.Although british tv is better. And the accents are cool. Plus the women love our british accents, whats not to love?

Well,i cant deny that the British are a very popular nation in the states,no doubt,but im sorry,its just not what it was cut out to be. The accents are VERY annoying,i dont know anyone who likes them,and in some places,such as the deep south ( i did a US road trip so ive seen a fair bit) are very ignorant and filthy! it was bloody expensive as well,and the healthcare? dont get me started on that!!! my friend live dout there for a year and she hated it,so ignorant and i agree,the TV and sense of humor is rubbish. The UK is so much better....

This is very well thought post. However,there are some things which i disagree with. Firstly,the emigration rate may seem high but we actually have a low emigration rate compared to other countries,examples like Lithuania and Ireland,who are expected to lose 400,000 people this year,and not just over a period of 13 years,the states also have a higher emigration rate. While i agree both Italy and Portugal are great countries in terms of culture,they are not great places to live. Both have record high unemployment rates,and Spain are on the brink of bankruptcy. Italy and Spain also have underlying racial problems,as when i was holiday there,i saw a young black woman being told by a italian man and to 'get back in her chains' and many of the Italian people we stayed with agreed that Italy does have a problem with this. Also,the economy is in danegerous state,and the price of living there is absurd. In terms of UK people,they are the friednliest in the world in my mind. Our dry with may make us come across as being rude but we are very tolerable,argubly one the most tolerable in the world. The states are very bleak and ignorant in general,they have barelt no history and as an archaeology student its useless to me. One friend from Italy ahs recently moved over to the UK,stating she never wants to live in Italy again. The Italian structure might seem pretty but in reality its extremly messed up. Same with Spain,with unemployment at 20.5% i wouldnt dare live there as i would be chucking my life away.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Retrospect
Er, the US is a very big place. I don't know where you lived, but I certainly don't remember it being expensive, nor do I remember silicon boobs. You sure you haven't been watching too many American TV shows? :tongue:

After doing a year long US road trip,i know plenty. For a start,i hate American TV. Its slapstick humor and very pro-american and sod everyone else attitude,so i dont watch it. In much of the US,beach culture consists of plastic women with fake personalities and fake boobs,try Florida,what a hole. Many of the cities in the US,unlike the UK,were built because they just needed,and are therefore souless and boring. The UK cities are full of character and history,which is another thing the US lacks,no history,and being an archaeology enthusiast that brings it down a lot. Plus,people over there are incredibly thick sometimes. I had stupid questions asked like 'Do you know the queen?' and 'How much tea do you drink per litre' IT WAS F***** ANNOYING. You obviously didnt hurt yourself over there,you eyes are gonna pop out of your head when you see the healthcare. And most universites are also perilousy expensive. Some public unis are okay around $12,000-$18,000 per year,but some go up to $40,000. The US goverment is also ridiculed around the globe,having some of the worst foreign relations in the world. Its also not very popular,so ill pass. The crime is also very high,with the homicide rate being 5.5 there compared to our 2.1. In some states also,such as Texas,it is still illegal to be gay,bit stuck in the past no? . Its a risk living in the states,you nee dto be financially capable and also,the capalist society works like this. 'If your poor.tough s**t. In general,the only thing i miss about the US is the breakfast cereals,everyone else,meh i dont care,land of opprutunity,no way,thats Australia...
Reply 90
Original post by Kingofhearts92

Original post by Kingofhearts92
This is very well thought post. However,there are some things which i disagree with. Firstly,the emigration rate may seem high but we actually have a low emigration rate compared to other countries,examples like Lithuania and Ireland,who are expected to lose 400,000 people this year,and not just over a period of 13 years,the states also have a higher emigration rate. While i agree both Italy and Portugal are great countries in terms of culture,they are not great places to live. Both have record high unemployment rates,and Spain are on the brink of bankruptcy. Italy and Spain also have underlying racial problems,as when i was holiday there,i saw a young black woman being told by a italian man and to 'get back in her chains' and many of the Italian people we stayed with agreed that Italy does have a problem with this. Also,the economy is in danegerous state,and the price of living there is absurd. In terms of UK people,they are the friednliest in the world in my mind. Our dry with may make us come across as being rude but we are very tolerable,argubly one the most tolerable in the world. The states are very bleak and ignorant in general,they have barelt no history and as an archaeology student its useless to me. One friend from Italy ahs recently moved over to the UK,stating she never wants to live in Italy again. The Italian structure might seem pretty but in reality its extremly messed up. Same with Spain,with unemployment at 20.5% i wouldnt dare live there as i would be chucking my life away.

I agree with some of your points. Both Spain and Italy do have a problem with xenophobia/racism, which I think, having talked about this with Spanish and Italian friends, is mostly due to the fact that both countries have only relatively recently started to have widespread immigration. Portugal doesn't have this problem to anywhere near the same extent because it has a very close relationship with it's former colonies (Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde) and lots of immigrants from these countries, most of whom are black/mixed race. Regarding the economic situation I have to agree that Spain in particular has a lot of problems with unemployment and Southern Europe in general can be relatively corrupt and bureaucracy can be a nightmare. And from what I've heard from many Italians, Italy has serious problems with its government. So I agree with you on all those points. Having said that, the UK is still far from perfect economically. There is widespread graduate underemployment and unemployment which is becoming a serious issue, poverty is also a problem in certain parts of the country and racism unfortunately does certainly still exist among certain groups/in certain areas. But this is all beside the point. The UK may (currently) provide better employment opportunities than some other countries (although Scandinavia, Benelux and Germany have comparable if not even better employment situations) but my point was that, overall, I feel that quality of life, which takes many different things ( mainly food, culture, mentality, lifestyle and weather) into account is still much higher in many countries (most Western European nations, in my experience) than it is in the UK. Having said this, everything is relative and everybody is different-some people have an excellent quality of life in the UK. Personally I am happier and enjoy life more living in Portugal and Argentina. :smile:
Original post by Tessaaa
okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

1) Do all the shops really close at 5pm?
It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

4) Is life really going to be as boring and bland as a cup of water?

If all the above are true, then I'll have to re-think my decision :/

Update:
To all the people who thought i was stereotyping and offensive or whatever else. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out this way. It's just what relatives and friends I have there told me. Before that, going to the uk to live and study had always been my dream because I really really love the culture there. It's different and seems really exciting and just wonderful. The purpose of this thread is to look for some reassurance that my 'dream' wouldn't turn out to be as ****ty as I have heard. I don't believe in the stereotypes entirely because I haven't been there so I'm in no position to do so. Here's and apology to all the people I have unintentionally offended. I'm sorry.

5pm?, in London in SE corner shops are open 24/7.
I agree with some of your points. Both Spain and Italy do have a problem with xenophobia/racism, which I think, having talked about this with Spanish and Italian friends, is mostly due to the fact that both countries have only relatively recently started to have widespread immigration. Portugal doesn't have this problem to anywhere near the same extent because it has a very close relationship with it's former colonies (Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde) and lots of immigrants from these countries, most of whom are black/mixed race. Regarding the economic situation I have to agree that Spain in particular has a lot of problems with unemployment and Southern Europe in general can be relatively corrupt and bureaucracy can be a nightmare. And from what I've heard from many Italians, Italy has serious problems with its government. So I agree with you on all those points. Having said that, the UK is still far from perfect economically. There is widespread graduate underemployment and unemployment which is becoming a serious issue, poverty is also a problem in certain parts of the country and racism unfortunately does certainly still exist among certain groups/in certain areas. But this is all beside the point. The UK may (currently) provide better employment opportunities than some other countries (although Scandinavia, Benelux and Germany have comparable if not even better employment situations) but my point was that, overall, I feel that quality of life, which takes many different things ( mainly food, culture, mentality, lifestyle and weather) into account is still much higher in many countries (most Western European nations, in my experience) than it is in the UK. Having said this, everything is relative and everybody is different-some people have an excellent quality of life in the UK. Personally I am happier and enjoy life more living in Portugal and Argentina. :smile:

Totally agree. In terms of economic climate,no the UK is far from perfect,weve come out of a dreadful situation and it will take some time for it to improve,however i see growth rather than decline,which cannot be said for places like Greece and Ireland. I myself lived outside Britain for a year in the states,and it really wasnt much difference. Th eonly thing was that the capatalist scheme to me was unfair,and healthcare and insurance were very expensive,the media is also very ignorant on world issues. The people were decent enough but enough for me to even think of going back. Argentina cerytainly has had some good years but again there are things to the UK which are unique which i couldnt sacrfice (Dry wit for example) so thats a pass. I think however, i feel lucky to be born here,because we are a rich country,and yes,like i said,the emigration figures look big but they are small compared to others and it is also decreasing,as more people are returning to the UK for economic reasons,Spain,Italy,France and the US are seeing british expat figures drop.
Reply 93
I don't know of a shop that closes at 5pm personally.
Original post by vahik92
who wouldn't prefer the Netherlands???? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Me. All the bicycles in Amsterdam kept knocking me over, pissed me the hell off! I prefer London :smile:
Reply 95
lots of highstreet shops close around 5pm, and the boring factor is different depends on your environment you could live in a city, a town or a village they are all different.
Reply 96
Original post by mightywindmill102
Me. All the bicycles in Amsterdam kept knocking me over, pissed me the hell off! I prefer London :smile:

loooooooooool well i think there are "enough" cyclists in london as well! especially those who cross the junction under the red light lol ! :smile:
Reply 97
Yhdhdhdhdhdhd
Reply 98
I think it's important to understand that the answers to these questions will vary significantly depending on where in the UK you intend to live. Just like other countries, there is huge diversity depending on location- so without any idea of where you are refering to you aren't really going to get an accurate answer
:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending