Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I hear it all the time too (in London). I don't really find it that annoying considering some of the other things I hear kids say.
    Guilty.

"oi mate you applying UCL?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.
    It annoys me a bit too, but I think that we have to get used to it (considering the day and age).

ReputationRep:
    i've only ever heard welsh people say this, when they say it it's kind of..endearing. i imagine anyone else saying it would just sound thick, though.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, you know you're on TSR when you post something about grammar and it's a top-trending thread even next morning.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, but it's mostly the chavs that speak that way. I hear them say "Ay blud, come we go chicken and chip shop". It sounds like they're actually taking the piss sometimes. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    "oi mate you applying UCL?"
    "No; the rash faded overnight, actually. But thanks for your concern."

ReputationRep:
    My friends and I were talking about this the other day and my friend from Leicester and I (I'm from Buckinghamshire) had both heard of it but my friend from Cornwall hadn't and neither had my American friends. I suppose it's just quite regionalised.

It kind of annoys me though, it just makes you sound really thick.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard that in my life in scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
    I am a grammar nazi. When I hear things like this, a part of me dies inside
    Grammar Nazi.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.
    Everyone in Leicester says that aswell, the worst thing is you strt to pick it up aftr a while :eek:
    But it's ok now, i've got my proper grammar back.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Safely say I've never heard that before.

ReputationRep:
    or 'i ain't done nuffin'. double negative. ERGHHHH

or when they start making up words to describe things that already have adequate words to describe them. i've heard 'piff' being used to describe someone as pretty???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    Must be a London thing, 'cause I hear this so much, I probably couldn't tell the difference anymore Lol.
    This. Very common in London.

ReputationRep:
    Some people from certain regions love to omit "to". It's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
    I am a grammar Nazi. two spaces When I hear things like this, a part of me dies inside.
    You gotta watch your back if you say that

ReputationRep:
    Yes all kids these days do that. [sarcasm]

ReputationRep:
    I hear it all the time in Leicester; it also seems to be a London thing.

It does irritate me, yes.

ReputationRep:

It annoys me a bit.
    I had a friend at uni who did that, i thought it was just a plymouth thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    me neither
    this has nothing to do with the thread, but i LOVE your signature picture thingy magicy! made me smile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.