Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NSPCC Facebook Campaign: Load of Bull. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's a fun way to show your support for the NSPCC, to encourage people to look more deeply into the issues of child abuse and to donate. It's highlighting the issue and raising awareness, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't understand what people are upset/angry about.

If you don't want to change it, that's fair enough. You don't have to participate (nobody is forcing you) and if you're already donating then that is fantastic.

If you're annoyed by all the statuses, then you can't be helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    I donate too. And of course I am not criticising you for that, it's the fact that a lot of people are acting like they are better because they don't have the picture.

I'm sure there are people acting like they are better because they do as well - but I haven't really seen them.

But no I don't think the picture is necessary to show that you support NSPCC, just a bit of a fun way to do it. :dontknow:
    I've seen more of these people tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know about this until today, and have changed my pic too!
    NSPCC didn't even start the campaign,
    It's not going to stop people abusing children the point is it raises awareness, so that people are reminded of NSPCCs work and hopefully donate.
    I don't get the sarcasm, if u dont like the camaign then don't change your picture, but some people are actually changing their pic to show SUPPORT for the work NSPCC does (and lots of us also donate)
    Personally i think its a gd idea and am all 4 it !

ReputationRep:
    ITT: "It rasises da awareness so people will donat der monies so i dont aff too!! plus i look well caring."

ReputationRep:
    Changed mine to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `R92)
    How many people would be thinking about that charity without this campaign?

How many peope are now thinking about the charity because of the campaign?

Are you implying this isn't going to help the charity AT ALL? considering the thousands of people who are involved?

It surely must help, and therefore it's worth doing, so why are you randomly ranting?
    Exactly. And why suggest that the NSPCC simply aims to scoop all they can from our pockets?
    Load of bull or no bull at all, people who genuinely believed that the campaign was real went through effort to change their profile pictures for what they believed to be a good cause. The NSPCC has an army of facebookers on their side, and sure did raise a lot of awareness.

ReputationRep:
    Ryan ****** *****
    The whole changing your profile picture to your favourite cartoon character thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles! because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them! it is currently on the programme Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv at some time tonight.. put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back asap! ..

^^ LOL you can't win

ReputationRep:
    The NSPCC is a worthless charity anyway. What do they even do? Aren't they just a charitable version of social services?

ReputationRep:
    I would think that a regular donater to the NSPCC would be pleased to see this act of raising awareness for the charity they donate to so readily :/
    Obviously, it's not going to stop child abuse and it's some people may just be jumping on the bandwagon - having a cartoon profile picture just because their friends have done - but anything that makes you think more about the charity more than you would any other day raises awareness and therefore encourages more people to donate.
    I feel guilty for not donating money to the NSPCC, and this 'campaign' - however meagre it may seen - has made me think about donating some money to the NSPCC. I'm only a 15 year old and I don't have income, but when I do I know I'm going to donate some money online because this campaign has made me think that I can surely do more than change my facebook profile picture to help this charity.
    I definitely don't think this 'campaign' is worth disparaging. How can you, when, at the least, it hasn't done any harm whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-was-...64942366876436

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma363)
    Ryan ****** *****
    The whole changing your profile picture to your favourite cartoon character thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles! because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them! it is currently on the programme Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv at some time tonight.. put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back asap! ..

^^ LOL you can't win
    I was just going to say about this. I have been arguing with people but I wanted to know if anyone knew about this 'TV show'?? I don't usually get annoyed and I know that changing a picture doesn't raise money only awareness but now people have started posting this I have become annoyed as everything in this world has to be negative and sinister. :mad: So what if the NSPCC didn't start it people were thinking that it was to do with them but now people are saying these things and I want to know their source!!

ReputationRep:
    Good for NSPCC in raising awareness

But I do hate people who act "high and mighty" about it, like they are doing something really significant by changing their pic when actually whey are using it as an excuse not to do anything else

ReputationRep:
    To whoever's changed their picture, tell the truth. What did you spend more time on: finding a picture that no one in your friends list has used yet or researching the NSPCC, its aims, projects, donating etc?

"I was just about to beat my child, then saw your cartoon character profile picture and decided against it. Thank you for your commendable courage and significant contribution in fighting the ongoing war against child abuse!" - lol at those who don't know what sarcasm is...

What does "raising awareness" even mean? Everyone is already aware of the NSPCC. All this does is raise awareness of your gullibility. This campaign isn't even anything to do with the NSPCC. I fee like it's 2005 and MySpace all over again.

(Not that I have a problem with people putting cartoon characters in their profile picture. Just. Can we not have this without the NSPCC bull*bleep*?)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Chimaira)
      It's funny that nothing to do with this 'campaign' is on the NSPCC website.. :rolleyes:
      I don't think its specific to NSPCC. I have some American friend who changed their profile pics before any of my UK facebook friends.

ReputationRep:
      They all just said "Child Abuse" to begin with and then somewhere along the line NSPCC got added into it.

ReputationRep:
      I know it's not a cartoon, but I wanted to have this as my picture for the sake of irony:

ReputationRep:
      Did you hear the group asking everyone to change their profile picture to their favourite cartoon characters is actually a group of paedophiles . They are doing it because kids will accept their friend requests faster if they see a cartoon picture . It has nothing to do with supporting child violence , it was on that tv show that warns you about internet frauds plus tonight's news!
      PASS IT ON!!!

ReputationRep:
      Yes, because children all have facebook pages :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      op has small testicals

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.