Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you eat food that isn't yours? And be HONEST! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I just sent my mum a text about this, I'm pretty sure she'd be willing to buy me one.

It's just hiding it, and how much power it'll use, because I'm sure I've heard someone say they use quite a bit. Where I live, each flat has a meter room, and if it does use a lot of electric I don't want the house manager snooping around.
    Well I got a logic mini fridge from currys at the start of this year and it uses 136kwh a year, not noisy and that like 3p a day in electric so really efficient and so I dont think they would notice tbh. Really good and holds tons of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I have the opposite problem. The people on my corridor never eat some of the food they buy, and so leave it to grow mouldy and stink up the fridge, meaning I have to throw it out for them.

ReputationRep:
    When I had flatmates I used to sometimes nick a teabag if I had run out but never anything substantial. God, I'd never nick something big like meat! I used to pinch some oil as well if I had run out if someone had a bottle that was full.

ReputationRep:
    My friend had this problem when she first started, complained to the uni about it and they provided her with a mini fridge.
    Highly doubt I'd get that if I complained though...

But yeah. Have never stolen, never would! Would hate it if someone stole mine so wouldn't do it to others, although luckily live with a really nice group of people who wouldn't ever do it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    How?
    Because when you steal from a flatmate you're hurting an individual, you're betraying the trust of someone you know and might be your friend. Obv stealing from a shop is wrong too, but if you stole a block of cheese from a shop nobody would get personally upset or offended- from a flatmate, it might ruin their day.

ReputationRep:
    Your flatmates all sound awful.
    No-one stole anything from our flat, if they did it got replaced very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    We all used to but then again in a flat of 4 girls it was more along the lines of "Im borrowing some of your X Y Z so help yourself to mine when you next want it"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    That reminds me of when I was in halls 3 years ago, almost every other student moved out by May, majority in April after exams and so I had the entire floor to myself.

Had a communal fridge that the cleaners decided to empty assuming people werent coming back with about £20 of my food in and when I complained to accomodation office I was told "so what"
    A whole floor to yourself?

You must of had a well good time!!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I'm not at uni yet though I don't understand why things like milk, butter and teabags/coffee can't be bought communally. Fair enough things like pizza, vegetables or chocolate being stolen would piss me off, but a drop of mill for someones tea I wouldn't mind.
    I wouldn't want to live with anyone who takes any amount of food.

You'll realise when you live with people that when you want a teabag and they're bought communally, some **** has had the last one (most likely a friend of a friend of someone in the flat), and you'll be angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Because when you steal from a flatmate you're hurting an individual, you're betraying the trust of someone you know and might be your friend. Obv stealing from a shop is wrong too, but if you stole a block of cheese from a shop nobody would get personally upset or offended- from a flatmate, it might ruin their day.
    I like the way you manage to dismiss all shops at 'just a company' - they're people too, you know. At least if you steal from a flatmate then someone has paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm just wondering how many of you do this. And why? We're all in the same boat, we all have to budget for food, why do you think it's okay to eat other people's stuff?

I'm ****ing sick and tired of going to the fridge and finding that half my bacon is missing, that someone's eaten the rest of my cheese slices and left the empty packet in the fridge, that my milk is empty and someone has dared to open my goats cheese.

I've tried labelling thing, putting my name on. Writting notes saying I've sneezed over the slice of pizza that I put in there for later etc. I've tried leaving it without labels to see if it changes things, and things still disappear. Of course, nobody will own up to it.

Obviously I keep the best things in my room, like crisps, cereal, and chocolate. And anything that doesn't need to be in the fridge/freezer really.

Seriously, what will it take for people to stop helping themselves to my food?!
    I would hate it if people were stealing my food. But remember, university is also about growing up being mature etc. Sharing and community spirit should be a part of this?
    Sureley it comes down to where you draw the line. I'm sure you would use somebody's salt if you were boiling rice and didnt have any. (presuming they aren't there). I would rather people were generally friendly than people being overly anal and calling me to ask if they can use a bit of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damidude)
    I would hate it if people were stealing my food. But remember, university is also about growing up being mature etc. Sharing and community spirit should be a part of this?
    Sureley it comes down to where you draw the line. I'm sure you would use somebody's salt if you were boiling rice and didnt have any. (presuming they aren't there). I would rather people were generally friendly than people being overly anal and calling me to ask if they can use a bit of salt.
    Yeah I agree. But when someone is stealing/eating proper food e.g. bacon, cheese, pizza, a whole 2 pints of milk, it's a bit different than using a little bit of ketchup or some oil.

It's not sharing when people take your stuff and don't give you anything in return. Or ask before they take. And I don't think I'm being immature by complaining about them taking things that I can make meals out of

ReputationRep:
    I already have everything that doesn't need to be in the fridge in my room.

It's just the fridge-y things that are the problem
    I've made a makeshift fridge by hanging a bag full of stuff out of the window. It works really well I guess it'll only be useful while it's really cold though (and probably wouldn't work if you have double glazing, as I imagine you couldn't shut the window properly? I have ****ty single glazed windows and hook the handles of the bag on the handle of the window and the bag goes outside. The windows never shut properly anyway so having the handles of the bag in the way doesn't make much difference).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. But when someone is stealing/eating proper food e.g. bacon, cheese, pizza, a whole 2 pints of milk, it's a bit different than using a little bit of ketchup or some oil.

It's not sharing when people take your stuff and don't give you anything in return. Or ask before they take. And I don't think I'm being immature by complaining about them taking things that I can make meals out of
    No you aren't being immature. Just confront these *******s.

(btw sakura is an annoying weak brat, temari ftw tbh)

ReputationRep:
    Like most people I only ever steal food if someone's stolen mine first, like a bit of milk. Someone stole 5 out of 6 of my eggs once though and my flatmates still use more of my butter than I do! I don't understand why, they have their own and we all have different brands!

ReputationRep:
    I like the way you manage to dismiss all shops at 'just a company' - they're people too, you know.
    Doesn't make a different. They're not going to have their day ruined by someone nicking a block of cheese. It's not going to upset anyone personally.

At least if you steal from a flatmate then someone has paid for it.
    No- someone pays for it either way.

If you steal from a shop, the shop pays for it. If you steal from an individual, the individual pays for it. And almost always the individual will be more upset, and more affected by it, than the shop.

ReputationRep:
    all the fking time.
    Just little things like a slice or two of bread, butter, a bit of cheese (who can use a whole block before it goes mouldy?) which i dont have/ cba to buy. It's not about the money.
    Also, It's essentialy harmless.
    And by harmless, i mean easy to get away with.

EDIT: also ham and milk. And a glass or five from a 2L soft drink bottle. And Nutella, Marmite, Jam. A crumpet or mini pancake. Some OJ. A can of soup or other Heinz produce. Cereals. Red Bull. Other peoples plates /cutlery.

Teabags are communal. But if they wern't, then like 100 of them as i don't contribute my Yorkshire Tea.

Such a ninja.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Doesn't make a different. They're not going to have their day ruined by someone nicking a block of cheese. It's not going to upset anyone personally.
    You're doing it again - dismissing them as a faceless corporation. Someone will run that shop and will care that they have been stolen from; someone will be security, and will care that they missed it. Someone will be personally upset by you stealing from a shop.

ReputationRep:
    I've 'temporarily misplaced' someone's milk and orange juice before and some peanut butter and some choc milkshake mix. Also, some sun dried tomatoes and a German sausage. Only a little bit of each though

oh dear I'm not that bad though..honest!

ReputationRep:
    You're doing it again - dismissing them as a faceless corporation. Someone will run that shop and will care that they have been stolen from; someone will be security, and will care that they missed it. Someone will be personally upset by you stealing from a shop.
    I don't really think they will care. No one who I know who's worked in a shop has ever cared either my family who have done security and managing or my friends who just working on the tills or stacking shelves. it doesn't actually effect them and anyone in charge of a shop will tell you that they expect it and factor the amount they expect to go missing when making decisions on how much they need. They still make their profit everyone still gets paid and no one feels like a friend is doing something hurtful because to them the shoplifter is just a faceless nobody who doesn't matter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.