Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just get nothing from it. The only sport I enjoy is skiing but I can hardly do that every weekend and I enjoy it for the scenery, the fun, and improving my technique rather than the exercise. Team sports and stuff just remind me of horrific PE lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)

No, you don't like it because you are bad at it. Get it right.
    You continue to amuse. Yes I don't like it because I'm bad it, I said that. And I've never had any interest. Everyone are different. There are certain sports I enjoy, but it's not for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmentile)
    I just don't think its true that the MAJORITY of women don't like sport. I'd say 70% of my year play voluntary sport.

I'm sorry I got angry.. I just don't like it when men call themselves strong and competitive and they "strive for that extra inch" and then call women "nuturing".

It annoys me very very much.
    True. This forum is always full of "Why do women this and women that?" And it's always full of gender stereotypes.

All the girls in my class played sports. I was the odd one out. Horrible P.E lessons ruined it for me as well. Those extremely competitive people (girls and boys) who scream at you when you make the slightest mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the whole thread because I'm in a CBA mood but ALLISON STOKKE is hot.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy physicaly exercise such as going to the gym or for a run but no I do not really enjoy competitive sport. Firstly, as sad and stereotypically female as it is....I really hate breaking a nail. Boys you just wouldnt understand it is soooo painful and then you have 8 long nails and 2 short ugly ones. It's very annoying lol.
    Secondly, I find over-the-top competitiveness ridiculous. I do enjoy rounders though....definately my favourite sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Because this happens...

:mmm:

Though to be fair, the girls at my Aikido classes are actually kick ass.
    I hope she is intoxicated or on crack, otherwise there's no excuse. Wow, she missed it by miles and she only jumped about an inch anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I actually really really hate running around, I find it so pointless, I'd rather paint or go on the computer or something. I get tired and breathless easily.
    Every PE teacher has told ME I just need to try sports and get a taste for it, you might call me lazy or a quitter but I call 2 hours of PE lessons a week for 11 years trying!!!
    And this stuff about society not wanting girls to exercise, I don't know about other countries but in England certainly girls are seen as better, more attractive, cooler people if they dance or go to the gym (even though some don't because they genuinely don't like it, and would rather settle for an OK husband than spend the rest of their lives doing something they hate everyday to keep Mr Perfect interested).
    Women are also more conscienscious about loooks and health than men, I think women actually exercise MORE than men, but men have a higher capacity for watching dull sports videos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    You continue to amuse. Yes I don't like it because I'm bad it, I said that. And I've never had any interest. Everyone are different. There are certain sports I enjoy, but it's not for me.
    If you are bad at it them, then you have obviously never tried any sport for a decent amount of time thus to conclude that they are not for you is very short sighted and ignorant as everyone can be good at sports (unless due to medical reasons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    If you are bad at it them, then you have obviously never tried any sport for a decent amount of time thus to conclude that they are not for you is very short sighted and ignorant as everyone can be good at sports (unless due to medical reasons).
    Everyone are different, we do not share the same interests. I've never liked sports, and I've played lots of it. It has nothing to do being ignorant or short sighted. No, everyone can't be good. It's not that simple. If someone doesn't like something, doesn't make them 'ignorant'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Everyone are different, we do not share the same interests. I've never liked sports, and I've played lots of it. It has nothing to do being ignorant or short sighted. No, everyone can't be good. It's not that simple. If someone doesn't like something, doesn't make them 'ignorant'.
    Interests and actually doing sports is different as every animals instinct wants them to be healthy, and sports is a means of doing that.
    You have played lots of sports, but always been bad....why? Where you not trying hard enough or not paying attention because the human body gets better at sports with the more it does .
    Everyone can be good at sports (bar medical issues), but not everyone can be great which is very different to what you claim.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but its quite sad they don't.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for the rest of the female populace but I absolutely suck at any vigorous physical activity aside from sprinting. Not only that, I have the worst hand/eye coordination ever. At an local bowling competition, I, on three separate occasions, somehow managed to make the ball stop dead in its tracks and travel backwards, rewarding my furious team negative points as a result. :teehee:

I'm no better at baseball either ... got the baseball whammed onto my face far more times than I can remember and I have gotten enough strikes and fouls to last a lifetime. When my mother tried to teach me squash, I managed to smash the racket on her face instead of the ball. And don't get me started on golf and badminton ...

I'm a failure, I know I am

ReputationRep:
    because theykept biting me and using their frigging long nails as claws! and the guys get really vengeful if you beat them. Like at school once when we played football and I managed to get the ball from a guy that plays competitively (me only playing for fun) he had his eyes on me for the rest of the game and every other guy now assuming I'm great just kept smashing into me!! wtf? so I keep to the individual games of cycling (which I have to do to get somewhere). Plus here in Sweden sports is overrated in my opinion so come over here and get sick of it instead :P

Plus I dont play because I dont like to lose (not that I'm a bad loser I accept it but still it's nice to win) and my parents couldnt afford to pay for the fees that come with the sports...when we finally got some money and can start as a newbie I'll be playing with 8yrolds and being 7 yrs older :/

ReputationRep:
    Why can't some girls just stop being naive little politically correct *****es and realise that what the OP is saying is objectively correct?

ReputationRep:
    I think there are differences between the types of exercises that men and women participate in. Women seem more likely to dance or run, men to do team sports.
    Personally, I'm into swimming, cycling and footy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's just dire and pointless.

No reason why, as such, I just have no interest in it.

Take football - what is it? It's men running around a pitch trying to get a ball in a net. Why? How could watching 90 mins of that be interesting?

I like individual sports, like track and swimming, but team sports are boringggggg.
    Football requires some strategy. Swimming/running is just run/swim as fast as possible...Zzzzz.

ReputationRep:
    When I was ill this year(?) I really enjoyed watching the winter olympics...all of it really mainly hockey! It was really calming somehow. does anyone else think that? girl or boy? :P

Plus I think it depends on personality and where you live more than gender nowadays. Here in Sweden plenty of girls do sports. It's fairly equal...

ReputationRep:
    Gender stereotypes in some cases because many sports have become a male dominated over time. It is only recently that the idea of woman playing sports has been accepted and put as a normal thing in society (may vary with viewpoints slightly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Why? I always figured its because sport is full of aggression, that sheer competitiveness to strive to be the best or win a few extra yards and pure physical endeavour which just isn't part of many a woman's make up. They're more into nurturing and caring

I realize there are women athletes and fans but they are in such a minority, e.g. at my gym there was one woman there today and about 15 guys, at my boxing club they have 3 girls on their cards, rest are guys, every time I go to old trafford women probably compromise of about 1% of the people sat around me. In America for every one woman who watches sport there are 3 men etc etc

Why is this? Is what I think right?

I wanna hear from some girls (and guys, don't worry your opinion counts too)

Also does this have any implications? e.g. why they're under represented in business etc
    You're making a big genralisation, ok women don't like all sport, but most will like some sport, i like rugby. I hate footbal ( thankfully so does my boyfriend) and i don't understand cricket despite my boyfriends best attempts at explaining. I don't quite get the idea of watching it on tv, where is the excitement? but i love going to live games.

ReputationRep:
    Because there aren't many female sporting role models, nor are women in sports as popular or idolised as men.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.