Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Unfortunately I think the day is approaching when I lose interest in facebook and come off it. Not that I have a massive interest in it now, just I have it and use it to message people, I rarely put anything on it.

But some of these new things they bring in are change for the sake of change and I don't like it.

For me the glory days of facebook were around 2006-07. It was only students who were on it, you weren't paranoid about who was looking at your profile, and from a stalking point of view it was better because nobody else was paranoid, so if you found anybody fit on your university network the odds are you could view all their profile and all their pictures.
    This is happening with Twitter for me, as it's just too common now and it's becoming less cool and fun to use as I was an early adopter and the landscape (read typical user demographic) has completely changed since the golden era of early 2009.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't I see any change??! Is it cos I'm using my phone's browser?

ReputationRep:
    People who moan about the amount of information shared: It only reveals what you insert. :dontknow:

Or just set everything to friends only, problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Noticed this best friends thing. Reminds me of myspace where you would wake up not remembering the last night only to find that you had been removed from someone's top friends and start to wonder wtf you did!

ReputationRep:
    I like it, the profiles look more streamlined.

I don't really see a huge shift from the way it was before tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I really like it - profiles have been boring and badly designed for years, and this new one is much more customisable.

I see what people are saying about the top friends thing but you don't have to use it that way - I've got my friends separated out into categories (housemates, family, Music coursemates, other coursemates, church) and at no point do I infer that any group is superior to any other - they're just grouped lists.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it... on something like TSR I'll happily shout out every statistic I have, but I don't want to do that IRL. In my eyes it's a security risk. I want to revert back but I don't know how

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    Facebook changes never go down well with users but within a week everybody is used to the new layouts and forgets what the previous one looked like.

This is exactly what i said to my mate 2 days ago when i updated mine.

It's alright atm, but i'll have forgotten what it used to look like by next week anyway as will 99% of users.

And also, why are all my friends adding English to their languages? We all know your speak english, we all live in Englang... If you spoke a different language as well go ahead and add it but it's pointless atm.

"joe bloggs and 15 others added English to their languages"

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a defender of facebook, because it was unparallelled in its ability to do three genuinely useful things: organise club stuff via the groups and event concept; chat with complete randoms on a group forum about virtually anything; and stalk people.

Now it seems to have gone away from that, and it seems far more focussed on procrastination (all the new apps) and unfettered narcissism; two things I have very little interest in.

The only thing that is still useful is chat, mainly because no-one uses MSN anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'm a fan of updates to the site, but the new profile page just looks too "busy".

There's a photo in the top left, photos in the top middle, photos in the top right, and photos next to adverts on the middle-bottom right.

The other thing I'm not fond of is all the old Info tab content being at the top, as it looks disorganised and more difficult to read through. I do like how it points out all the people who put the wrong year down for their university; current students who started in 2009 now read, "Studied at Nottingham until 2009." :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it. I'm not a big fan of Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhutch)
    Messy isnt it, partiuarly as its the first thing on the profile. Ive gone for 'english' and thats it! Zero asshatting.
    I went for Swahili, Atakapa and Inuit.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Now under recent activity on someone's page, instead of saying 'X wrote on Y's wall', it shows the first line of their comment followed by 'on Y's wall'. Yet another rubbish change.

Also, what has happened to the groups? You can still join them but a list of your groups no longer shows up on your profile.

ReputationRep:
    every time they do this, people invariably dont like it
    but they get used it

imo this one is actually quite nice

ReputationRep:
    They also ask for you to update your contact infos and security question when you log in too. Is that normal?

And if you have more than one e-mail linked (i.e. your uni email and your personal Hotmail or whatever), does it matter which one you use to log in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.