Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Newly Released Information Regarding RAF Officer, WSOp and NCO ATC Recruitment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well they've already made a preliminary 20% cut on C130J, not entirely sure about others (bar F3, Nimrod, Harrier )

ReputationRep:
    That's not pretty. Are they cutting from the OCU end or from those close to the end of their service? The Aircrew world in general is in a pretty bad place at the moment!

Mr. Vice
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Vice)
    The Aircrew world in general is in a pretty bad place at the moment!
    If you think it is any better or worse than the rest of the Armed Forces you're living with your head in the sand. Cuts are severe no matter where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Cuts are severe no matter where you stand.
    My last comment was indeed naive, I don't mean to ignore the rest of the armed forces. Of course everybody is going through a tough time.

Mr. Vice

ReputationRep:
    Any more gen?

Let's keep this gravy train a'rollin....

ReputationRep:
    The rumours flying around are pretty damning. No gen as of yet though.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone make this a sticky?

ReputationRep:
    The Rumour mill is currently in overload. It is at risk of melting down in fact.

Best thing to do is wait out.

Mr. Vice

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't read Pprune, the following has been said recently that took me by surprise:

"The RAF SH/SAR force require only 4 new pilots for the whole of 2011; fact from the mouth of Comdt DHFS at his end of year forum.
    Current annual output from Sixty (R) Sqn is 56 pilots per annum."

ReputationRep:
    I still think it would be best to have this made a sticky, so people arent misinformed about the current situation and dont post the same questions over and over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    For those who don't read Pprune, the following has been said recently that took me by surprise:

"The RAF SH/SAR force require only 4 new pilots for the whole of 2011; fact from the mouth of Comdt DHFS at his end of year forum.
    Current annual output from Sixty (R) Sqn is 56 pilots per annum."
    Further PPRuNe rumours...

So with the Merlin OCF taking no students, the Puma OCF closed for a year and the SARF preparing to be wound down it doesn't look like Shawbury have much of a choice but to chop masses of students - maybe if they hadn't ramped up the trg system over the last couple of years there might not be such a glut.

Strangely, most guys and girls on the front-line could see this coming but those in the higher pay bands didn't/wouldn't/couldn't listen. If all the assets are on the front line and the very few in UK are frequently U/S, it shouldn't take a genius to see a problem looming and slow down the trg system - but, sadly, Air Cdre left hand doesn't talk to Gp Capt right hand and no-one can admit the system is broken because it might affect promotion prospects

Won't 2011 be fun? Not!

It doesn't look good in any case. I myself am trying to weigh up what would be better to be now, a bloke just out of Shawbury who hasn't got an OCF to go to, or a bloke just about to go to IOT who won't be finishing Shawbury for another 3 years, when it may be a bit better, albeit the pre-IOT bloke has a mere 6 grand and no training invested in him, so less of a loss to get rid of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontlookhere)
    I still think it would be best to have this made a sticky, so people arent misinformed about the current situation and dont post the same questions over and over
    If they search/read before posting, they'll see it. If not, they get moaned at and learn.

And re: helicopters, I'd be surprised if we get those extra Chinooks now, too. All looking rather drastic. And, tbh, I'd rather be the post-Shawbs guy. Sure, sitting around waiting to do something meaningful is a drag, but it's a job. Even if it's not so secure in the long run, you've still got some money coming in. More than a lot of people have.

I know it's now what they signed up for, but things these days seldom are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    If they search/read before posting, they'll see it. If not, they get moaned at and learn.
    Fair enough I suppose....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.