Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can you tell if you're good-looking or not? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to tell, really.
    Even people who are 'universally attractive' like Brad Pitt do nothing for me... It's all subjective. The list of people I find gorgeous would be quite different to the majority view, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    Lol someone's bitter
    lmao what am i bitter about?

many of the traits that society believes make women beautiful (big eyes/dark eyelashes/defined eyebrows/clear skin/no bags under eyes) don't appear naturally as often as one would think, walking down the street. a girl can appear to be a 'natural' 8/10 but give her a make-up wipe and she can easily slide down to a 6 or below. her 'naturally beautiful' eyes will shrink, her eyebrows will appear less defined and little random blemishes will appear all over her face :koala:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarryEyed91)
    I have never seen a girl without makeup who looks attractive. Ever.
    Stop looking in the mirror then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarryEyed91)
    No, I'm the type of girl who uses cosmetics to my advantage. Without any makeup I look incredibly plain and could probably pass for being about 14.
    Instead, I wear foundation and blusher so my skin looks smooth and healthy; eyeliner and mascara to make my eyes look bigger; and a bit of concealer if I have any blemishes.
    Whether you like it or not, makeup turns plain girls into pretty girls.
    Same with me. I have really fair eyebrows and lashes. I could always dye them, no guy would ever know that I have dyed them so they would call me natural. Now I usually use eyebrow pencil, mascara, eyeliner and powder. When you are not really tanned, your skin can look red really easily. That's the reason why I wear a bit of foundation in the winter. It's the same colour as my skin, not darker.

Some girls just have perfect skin, dark enough eyebrows, curly, dark and long lashes. If my lashes were darker I could just curl them and they would look good. I have a friend who looks the same with make up and without make up. She has dark eyebrows, curly and dark eyelashes and pretty dark skintone. But girls like these are quite rare. I have seen a lot of girls without make up and many of them look pretty plain too. Not all girls have naturally gorgeous eyelashes or even skintone.

I can't see what is wrong with using make up. As long as you don't try to create anything you don't have. You use lipstick or mascara to make your lips or eyes really pop. If you are really good at doing your make up, it seems natural. I have asked from guys if they think that some girls use more or less make up than me. I'm too lazy so I don't use a lot of time to fade my eyeliner or using different products to my eyebrows. Most guys believed that I use a lot more make up than these girls but I have seen them applying their make up. They use different skin coloured powders and eyeshadows or highlighters. That makes them look like they have better bone structure or smaller nose. And if you have enough money you can have your eyelashes made. Those are like eyelash extensions but you don't take them off when you go to sleep or wash your make up off.

But I don't think that make up is the most important thing. I think it's ridiculous if you have to wake up before your boyfriend to add some make up. But I have to admit that when I'm staying at some guy's place for the first time I don't wash all my make up off. I have slept with my make up on too many times when I have came home after being in a nightclub (I'm lazy when I'm drunk...), so I can tell that I don't smudge my pillows or sheets with my make up. But when I'm in a relationship I don't want to feel so insecure that I have to think about "omg my eyelashes are too fair, my skin is a bit red because it's too hot here".

And for the record, I don't think that excessive use of eye shadow, fake tan, blusher or foundation looks good. With make up you make your best parts pop.

ReputationRep:
    if you're a girl and people say you look more like your dad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    If your mother continually reasures you that you're a "handsome boy" you are probably not.
    My mother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej3005)
    This might seem like a stupid question, but I was wondering how people form their opinions of their own looks?

Is it just based on what you see in the mirror, cos it can be quite difficult to tell what appeals to the other sex?
    Is it based on the other sex's reaction to you, cos again that can be quite difficult to gauge, easily misinterpreted.
    Is it based on how much attention you get from the opposite sex, cos that again can be quite misleading, especially as girls don't exactly seem to crowd the best-looking guys for attention, they don't really seem to care at all about looks.

So how do people decide that they're fit/ugly?
    It seems that people with a stronger smell seem to appear more attractive than the one without. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Make a thread on TSR with your picture and ask for it to be rated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Any chick here that says they've had compliments or getting lots of attention. Don't flatter yourself. Even the most butterz gal gets attention from guys that want to nail them. If you're a girl and don't get some sort of attention then you fail at life.
    Thanks, as if I didn't know :rolleyes:

I can say no to all those questions. Great, I guess it's established I'm truely ugly. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Confidence helps alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    This. You can't polish a turd.
    This. When you try to polish them they don't get shinier at all... they just gets smaller and smaller. If you're trying to improve the appearance of a turd It'd probably be better to glaze it or something, maybe with PVA glue. And a bit of Glitter wouldn't go amiss... I'm pretty sure I saw something like this on Art-Attack or something (not sure if it was a turd though).

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think I may have put too much thought into all of this.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Colour is fun :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlepotatoe)
    Does it depend on the compliments?
    I mean, would a guy who only wants to screw a girl tell her she's beautiful, or pretty?
    From what I saw, they usually use words such as "hot" or a simple "i want to nail you".
    But I might be wrong...
    LOL are you for real?

ReputationRep:
    If you get a bit aroused by looking at yourself in the mirror.

ReputationRep:
    Chatroulette.

Honest opinion, i swear on Luke Skywalker's grave.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, what's good looking is completely subjective, but there are general features that are almost universally attractive e.g. clear skin, shiny hair, general healthy appearance, slim figure (And by this I mean your natural healthy size, because everyone is slightly different), proportional features, nice smile.
    And as someone mentioned earlier, I think if you have attractive friends and an attractive boyfriend/girlfriend, it's an indication that you are probably fairly good looking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay and I would bang myself :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a scientific way.

Look at yourself in a double mirror. Or take a photo on the computer and flip it horizontally. You may b surprised as you are seeing yourself as you are and not in reverse.
    Sigh.. Think about it, taking a head-on picture would give you the right inversion. No mirrors required

Ooooh i asked a male friend and he told me the truth and said i was unattractive but people have called me pretty before... but i look in the mirror sometimes and think i look ugly but other times i think i look alright :s i guess it really is a mystery...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    You clearly haven't seen some of my friends. Absolutely stunning with and without makeup.
    yeah frickin right, im sure most girls think all their friends are "pretty" even if they're ugly as fuuuck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.