Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roflhahalol)
    Do you really have to refer to us as "the blacks".... seriously?

Would you prefer to be called the negro's?

ReputationRep:
    I presume it's not Oxbridge's fault - but it's definitely highlight to the fact that we need to look at the continuing correlation between race/class/success in this country, and improve it.

A very tricky thing to do, admittedly.

ReputationRep:
    They don't know the races I don't think? More black people should apply! And they've only mentioned Caribbean descent - what about African descent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    why does your profile say you are 17. How did u get to oxford at 17?
    I share this account with my brother, who is just about to do his A-levs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not that I think this is due to race but it's funny how white people are so quick to disregard racism.

If admission tutors can't see what race a person is then that's fine but remember just seeing someone's surname you can identify within seconds if they are of ethnic decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Not that I think this is due to race but it's funny how white people are so quick to disregard racism.

If admission tutors can't see what race a person is then that's fine but remember just seeing someone's surname you can identify within seconds if they are of ethnic decent.
    Look at you, assuming people posting in this thread MUST be white.

Racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I thought everyone gets interviewed? And names can be a dead giveaway of ethnicity!
    Depends on the college, but on the whole, no, they don't have the time to interview everyone so there is a filtering process before people are called for interview.

ReputationRep:
    Actually on your UCAS form I think you have to specify your race. Darn, maybe it's already been mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EWS)
    Yes.
    Positive discrimination would be unfair though because differences in cognitive performance arise largely through genetic factors. http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/22333/

And genes occur in different frequencies across groups leading to *average* or statistical differences.

http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2007/01...nomes-and.html

ReputationRep:
    Why is it only people of Caribbean descent?
    There have been quite a few African guys from my school who have gone on to Oxbridge or other good universities in the last few years

ReputationRep:
    More proof that The Guardian is every bit as bad as the Daily Mail. Same sensationalism, just for a different cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    They wouldn't have even know he was black before they interviewed him. Seeing as they didn't, they would never had known...
    I don't know about Oxford's admissions procedure, but when applying to Cambridge we have to complete an additional SAQ where we had to attach our photo.

At the time I found it really suspicious actually, since they could use it to filter applicants based on skin colour/general look etc which would be terrible if they actually did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)

+Rep for the Charmed sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)

Unless the applicants were black caribbean (as many of them were) as the names will be similar to british names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I don't know about Oxford's admissions procedure, but when applying to Cambridge we have to complete an additional SAQ where we had to attach our photo.

At the time I found it really suspicious actually, since they could use it to filter applicants based on skin colour/general look etc which would be terrible if they actually did.
    The most likely reason for wanting a photo is to attach to people's find to help remember them, and to distinguish between applicants with the same name. Most people are invited to interview for most subjects - people are rejected pre-interview based on not having predicted grades or not meeting a required standard on pre-admissions tests, which are usually pretty transparently applied. It would be a massive liability for anyone to attempt to screen qualified people out based on how they looked - difficult to get away with, and not to the benefit of an institution which is under a lot of pressure to give minority applicants as fair a chance as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)

Oxford don't have an SAQ - it's why people that want to hide module grades apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    They better not introduce any of that positive discrimination rubbish
    You mean where minorities get places they're not good enough for, just because the workplace/uni/whatever has to accept x amount of people from a minority otherwise they'll get called predujice? Oh yes, that's what you meant. And it is a bunch of total tosh that positive discrimination :/

ReputationRep:
    Well I doubt that its inspired by racism, considering how many people of other ethnicities go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I'd have referred to white applicants as 'the whites', if that makes it any better?
    No it doesn't, you racist.

ReputationRep:
    Once again playing the race card to cover up for the fact that there were simply better applicants.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.