Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car?? (It's not a FIRST car) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    My friend's mum has that car though.. not with all the racer looks but it's still a VW Golf..
    I don't want a Corsa.. :/ They remind me of first cars. Like I said I'm going for something different

I guess.. :/ But I normally am really good, I've been up to 100mph on the motorway once and slowed right down as soon as I noticed. Never been higher than 80 since - and that's only a very straight new empty dual carriage way.

Fair enough, VW are one of the best car companies in the world... why not look at the Scirocco? I can't see your dads boss splashing out an unlimited amount of money on a company car though, my father wouldn't [and he has numerous decent company cars]... otherwise you may as well ask for a Veyron.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be pretty nervous driving a lot of the big and pretty powerful cars that have bene suggested on this thread, and I have had my license for almost 3 years now. I'd be worried about potentially losing control, putting my foot down too fast and not being able to park such a big car. But, everyone is different, and some people love bigger, powerful cars and feel perfectly comfortable driving them.

I don't think most 17 year olds drive things like the new ford focus and volkswagon golf as people can't afford them...I think you'd stand out in one personally from most teenagers.

I bought one of the new look fiat puntos in September and I love it!! Perfect amount of power, it's attractive inside and out and spacious without being too big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Budget?

If I were him I would get a 320d, but I wouldn't let a 17 year old drive that. What about a Focus 1.6 TDCI? Or a BMW 118d?
    Why not a 320d but a 118d?

ReputationRep:
    Mazda 3

ReputationRep:
    I drive a Fiat500 Sport which is fantastic. It's all black and gets a lot of comments from friends if you're looking for something a bit different, not outrageously expensive either. One of my mates had a 2010 VW Golf GTi back before we all left for Uni and it was the nicest car I've ever driven. Looks great and does incredible MPG. 2010 reg Freelanders aren't bad for mileage either if you're still pining for a 4x4 and it's not too big. My dad has one and he never shuts up about it. Then again, another mate had a Volvo C30 (car Edward drives from Twilight if you aren't familiar) and that was also a nice ride. All my mates must've felt the need to out do me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    Get something small safe and slow, you cant handle a XC90 yet !
    Why do people think big cars are scary? My first car was a LWB Defender which is longer and probably a touch wider than an XC90 and it taught me a lot about driving. I drove it for more than a year and never crashed once. Parking it was like trying to park an oil tanker but as a result I can now park anything effortlessly. Not that I recommend XC90's - bloody awful 4x4s with a history of random electrical fires destroying the whole car. Possibly look at a Series 2 Land Rover Discovery, or maybe a VW Scirocco as has already been suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Fair enough, VW are one of the best car companies in the world... why not look at the Scirocco? I can't see your dads boss splashing out an unlimited amount of money on a company car though, my father wouldn't [and he has numerous decent company cars]... otherwise you may as well ask for a Veyron.
    My dad's boss did, as said in a previous post, he gets ferrari on it. There is no way we'd get anything like a veyron - as much as I wish (even if I wasn't allowed to drive it!!), but not due to money, due to the public reaction (dad is in the public sector so his work bills get posted online...) how would the taxpayer feel if they knew a 17 year old was driving something paid by their taxes :L haha.
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Haha ah yes, many people totally miss my sarcasm and assume im being a bit mean or something. Tis the thought that counts i guess/hope lol

I might just do that! That way, i could bribe people for pos rep with the investment money. Great plan tbh. The new Volkswagon Tank v12.4 lol
    At least you have one positive one!! People seem to take real offence from what I say even though I mean no harm or if they are just being stupid and ignorant. lol.

Imagine turning up to college in that. You could like own anyone there that way.

ReputationRep:
    At least you have one positive one!! People seem to take real offence from what I say even though I mean no harm or if they are just being stupid and ignorant. lol.

Imagine turning up to college in that. You could like own anyone there that way.
    Indeed! Hopefully it'll improve if im extra nice to people. Hah yeah, i rarely get appreciation for my more epic posts tbh.

That would be a sight!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! Hopefully it'll improve if im extra nice to people. Hah yeah, i rarely get appreciation for my more epic posts tbh.

That would be a sight!
    Same but people tend to be nasty on controversial posts. And there's no fun in putting up a boring generic opinion if you don't actually believe in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In the looney bin)
    maybe 'daddy' can hire a butler for his little princess to make the decision for her
    The inverse snobbery on here never ceases to amaze me. Whenever someones parents do something nice for them, some members on here have a hissy fit. Jealousy isn't an attractive trait.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, your dad shouldn't be picking his next car on what you want. No matter what you think, it is not your's as well. Just because you have third party on it means nothing.

At 17 you should appreciate anything that comes your way, if you dad chooses an Astra you should appreciate that he lets you drive it. He could always make you get the bus or walk.

ReputationRep:
    Same but people tend to be nasty on controversial posts. And there's no fun in putting up a boring generic opinion if you don't actually believe in it.
    Yeah, and if you don't agree with the thread starter on these controversial ones... negged. Its stupid lol.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's boss did, as said in a previous post, he gets ferrari on it. There is no way we'd get anything like a veyron - as much as I wish (even if I wasn't allowed to drive it!!), but not due to money, due to the public reaction (dad is in the public sector so his work bills get posted online...) how would the taxpayer feel if they knew a 17 year old was driving something paid by their taxes :L haha.

Ok, don't get the £1m Veyron, ask for a Merc SLS AMG then...

ReputationRep:
    His boss (which isn't that much above him..) has a ferrari.. My dad only picked an seat ibiza because he couldn't be bothered to choose any thing else. So not a ferrari but almost one.

How is a Seat almost like an Ibiza?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and if you don't agree with the thread starter on these controversial ones... negged. Its stupid lol.
    I knoww, where's the freedom of speech here?? lol.
    Ok, don't get the £1m Veyron, ask for a Merc SLS AMG then...
    Urgh. They look ugly. I would never get one of them. Out of those cars I'd like a Aston Martin Vanquish please

ReputationRep:
    His boss (which isn't that much above him..) has a ferrari.. My dad only picked an seat ibiza because he couldn't be bothered to choose any thing else. So not a ferrari but almost one.

How is a Ferrari almost like an Ibiza?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    im afraid i have to tell u have to try harder with regards to the statement youve made in your last quote.

look, this is what a mechanic told me, i am not exagerating, this is actually what the mechanic told me and not 1 but 2. hence i am offering my opinion or the knowledge ive got to her. and it is completely up to her to decide whether to take or not to take my advice.

but ill tell you whats stupid, its stupid from you to start getting offensive on different people's opinions - this is my opinion and nobody can say im wrong - it would be completely ok for you to say - u know what mate, i dont agree with u for this and that reason - but its completely idiotic and arrogant to say that my statement is stupid. besides, how do you know what car im talking about? maybe some car engines do get dirtier from diesel? wouldnt this mean that my statement is NOT as stupid as saying it makes the body dirty?

it would be nice of you to not reply at all and not get on my nerves with your stupid comments
    I couldn't reply because I had an exam today to study for. Hopefully this is a substantial response to satisfy you.

Modern diesels are very clean and efficient. Historically diesel engines are loud and smoky, this is not the case any more. For a daily driven vehicle (one that you're not going to rev to the limit every day) it is very advantageous to drive a diesel.

Reasons: More low end torque. Lower fuel consumption (higher thermodynamic efficiency due to higher compression ratio), and also the fuel is cheaper.

What you're talking about 'dirty' is probably referring to carbon build up in the engine, and the characteristic black smoke out of the exhaust. This is mainly a product of fuel constituents, and of uncombusted fuel in the colder regions of the combustion chamber. The particulate filters capture all this crap, and dont release it to the atmosphere, and periodically burns that using a little fuel. Other gases might be crap like nitrogen oxide, which is reduced through catalytic converters and urea injection in the exhaust stream.

'Opinions' dont mean **** all when it comes to technical details, so if you do not know anything about the subject other than what the mechanic told you, then keep what you think to yourself. And yes, I'm saying that, in modern diesels, you're wrong. And from the looks of this thread, I dont think the girl is looking to get an '89 jetta.

TL;DR: lrn2diesel

ReputationRep:
    I knoww, where's the freedom of speech here?? lol.

Urgh. They look ugly. I would never get one of them. Out of those cars I'd like a Aston Martin Vanquish please
    You're deluded :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    How is a Ferrari almost like an Ibiza?
    Oops. I know they aren't. No idea what I was talking about there. But I looked at the time I sent it.. I was watching Gossip Girl.. so probably not paying attention to what I was typing. LOL.

You're deluded :rolleyes:
    Many say so.

ReputationRep:
    Oops. I know they aren't. No idea what I was talking about there. But I looked at the time I sent it.. I was watching Gossip Girl.. so probably not paying attention to what I was typing. LOL.

Many say so.
    If you could get any car but you have to pay the tax only then why not get a Vanquish? I'm on a business policy, therefore I can drive anything [as the policy states] and as I have previously mentioned... if you only have to pay the tax then what is stopping you from getting a Vanquish, Murcielago or a Ferrari 458?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.