Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is my favourite Eurovision song - Germany 2006

Love it, anything else like that this year would be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillyhl)
    First Semi final is on the 10th of May, second semi is on the 12th and the final on the 14th
    Excellent, now to book the 14th off work and organise a Eurovision party... :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9rJLtz64Hg

why didn't they win??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    I think they countered that by introducing the semi final(s), which whittle the participating countries down to ~25.
    Sorry for the late reply
    As far as I know, they've always done the semi finals. Normally the bottom 3 (or so) on the Eurovision Final don't qualify to attend the semi finals the following year.

They have a mix of representation from judges and voters though now to try and make the voting fairer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Sorry for the late reply
    As far as I know, they've always done the semi finals. Normally the bottom 3 (or so) on the Eurovision Final don't qualify to attend the semi finals the following year.
    That used to be the case but it's not anymore. Now they have 2 semi finals so basically every country in Europe and a few more can take part (which seems to be the case anyway), and they don't have to eliminate anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    I'm excited and watching out for Serbia, it's a very weirdly catchy song! although I always love their entries..
    I love the English version of Serbia's song (Magical), it's really positive and makes you smile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Sorry for the late reply

They have a mix of representation from judges and voters though now to try and make the voting fairer
    A semi final was introduced in 2004 to tackle the problem of so many participating countries. That year, the Big Four and the ten highest-placing countries from the 2003 contest were automatically entered into the Final, and a 'qualifying' round (i.e. a semi final) was conducted to find the remaining ten acts for the Final. This format was used again in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

In 2008, two semi-finals were conducted, because there were 42 entries, which is pretty ridiculous number to try and squeeze into a single semi-final and Final. Ten entries from each semi final qualified for the Final, where one was a 'wildcard' chosen by a jury, totalling 25 entries for the Final. This format was used again in 2009, and again in 2010 without the 'wildcard' element.

No-one is excluded from entering the next contest based on their scores, because with two semi-finals a greater number of countries can be accomodated and have the same chance of qualifying.

Split voting was introduced in 2009 in the Final (but not the semis), and used again in 2010 in both the semi-finals and the Final.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Never really been a big Eurovision fan till last year!

I think UK will do well this year - it seems that Europe is enjoying Blue's song and (live) performances so far.
    I guess its all down to how they perform on the night.

My favourites so far are Norway, Estonia, Switzerland, Denmark and France.
    Can't wait till this Sat to see Blue's first rehearsal and next Sat!

(Better get on with my studies now!!)

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow it all starts off, I'm so excited!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ I just discovered how amazing Estonia is.

"1, 2, 7, 3, down at Rockefeller Street" - She literally just shouts numbers and road names at the audience and is now a top 5 with the bookies to win.

ReputationRep:
    The live performance is dire. If Estonia win I will rage!

Oh and I've listened to Blue's rehearsal, it's not good.

ReputationRep:
    I love Slovenia's song and her voice is amazing I think it could win.
    Blues first rehearsal didn't sound too good but the second one was so much more better I think they'll get in the top 5 at least this year.
    Jedward's rehearsal was quite good I hope they make it past the semis.
    Most of the good songs are in the semi-final 2.

ReputationRep:
    Britain will not do well with that crappy Blue song. It is out of date and our only chance is that the Royal Wedding will give us a few more votes and maybe the fact that Bin Laden is dead because afterall it is a political farce. I would rather watch BGNT than this crap.

ReputationRep:
    The apprentice and ESC semi 1 is on at the same time tomorrow....
    Thank god for iplayer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by express_68)
    The apprentice and ESC semi 1 is on at the same time tomorrow....
    Thank god for iplayer!
    Haha, this! Me and my bloke had a small "Wtf are we gonna do" moment when we realised they were both on at the same time.

Naturally I won. :cool:

I'm ridiculously excited about the SF tonight. Can't wait to get underway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not finding very many memorable songs...Hungary's and Estonia's are alright, Norway's is good and catchy. Germany..BORING! UK...I don't think it's good enough or catchy enough to attract enough votes, I think it will get lost amongst the other songs. I'm not sure it would make it through the semis if it had to. Not saying it's terrible or anything, it isn't, but I don't think it rises enough above average that it needs to to do well. Ireland on the other hand...should definitely get through the semis this time! Musically not a great song...Eurovision wise, I think it's right on the money and should do well, if it's not an Eastern European vote-fest that is. I'm actually finding Jedward less and less annoying because they're hilarious to listen to, infectious kind of.

GO JEDWARD!!!! Top 5 at least hopefully! (I think the cost of hosting is probably a lot less than the cost of the Queen's visit and in general, it doesn't matter when debt is already so high)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ytzgtLW1A

My favourite modern Eurovision entry. Bulgaria 2007- Water/Voda. Placed 5th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpdRtIM45ts

Ireland 1996 Eimear Quinn- The Voice. Won

Favourite 'old' Eurovision entry, and favourite Irish entry ever. And Irish winner ha. You can't judge Jedward on the same basis- Eurovision is about the act and the cheesiness as well as the actual song. Different times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Butler)
    Britain will not do well with that crappy Blue song. It is out of date and our only chance is that the Royal Wedding will give us a few more votes and maybe the fact that Bin Laden is dead because afterall it is a political farce. I would rather watch BGNT than this crap.
    Eurovision is hardly political. People vote for their neighbours, yes, but through diaspora, not politics. The reason why the UK always gives 12 to Greece or Turkey is because we have large Greek and Turkish populations who vote like mad for their songs. The same applies to Greece and Cyprus, Russia and Belarus, Serbia and Bosnia-Herz. etc. etc. People like to believe it's political because that justifies us sending **** songs, but it's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Eurovision is hardly political. People vote for their neighbours, yes, but through diaspora, not politics. The reason why the UK always gives 12 to Greece or Turkey is because we have large Greek and Turkish populations who vote like mad for their songs. The same applies to Greece and Cyprus, Russia and Belarus, Serbia and Bosnia-Herz. etc. etc. People like to believe it's political because that justifies us sending **** songs, but it's not.
    People always seem to have that misconception. And aren't 50% special jury votes or something too?

Anyway, I reckon Blue are looking at around 5th. I think they're quite popular in parts of Europe too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    People always seem to have that misconception. And aren't 50% special jury votes or something too?

Anyway, I reckon Blue are looking at around 5th. I think they're quite popular in parts of Europe too
    Yeah, 50% of the score is a jury's score, and they're supposed to be more objective, thus making the votes fairer. I'm curious to know who's on the UK jury!

3 hours to go.. time, go quicker..

ReputationRep:
    Not long to go now!!
    It's going to be interesting this year....not a definite winner YET!"
    and the suspense of voting presentation on Saturday cz the voting order is all done by computer based on the jury votes.
    Has anyone seen Portugal's press conferences?? Soooo funny (but the song doesn't really deserve to go through)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.