The Student Room Group

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #Funky
Hello,

I've seen an increasing amount of girls starting to wear the Niq'ab and Hij'ab.

What are your views on it? What do you think? Should they wear it in the United Kingdom? If not then why?

Is this extreme?

It is an extremist thing to do, just the same Christians who still cover their knees and shoulders etc.
In this country we should not really tolerate it, but mildly look down on it as :
a) It is extreme
b) It is not British tradition and shows a complete lack of willingness to integrate.
Reply 81
I think it's a shame to hide away people's face when we're all capable of such amazing expressions.

But, free will and all that :dontknow:
Reply 82
Original post by Jimbo1234
It is an extremist thing to do, just the same Christians who still cover their knees and shoulders etc.
In this country we should not really tolerate it, but mildly look down on it as :
a) It is extreme
b) It is not British tradition and shows a complete lack of willingness to integrate.

You should be able to live your life the way you desire. There are thousands of people out there whom you or I do not know.
Veils are fine, the problem is with the full body suits. I don't appreciate not being able to see people's faces or at least their eyes when I look and speak to them. It's undemocratic.

Ultimately I am saddened by the limitations all religions and not just Islam impose on life. The worst part is that people claim it is free will when they are just responding to arbitrary cultural traditions and to the will of their community. However there is no point in banning anything, it will just make people unhappier than they already are and would be unfair if only a single religious garment or symbol was prohibited.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
The niqab I find can make me feel a little uncomfortable- just seeing the eyes and not the face or facial expressions I find quite odd. However, I know a few women who wear the niqab, who have chosen to do so and much rather prefer wearing it. This is coming from a Muslim girl who wears the hijab so obv I have nothing against it lol but I doubt I'll ever wear the niqab.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 85
I have worn the hijab for a while now and I am 19. I don't think I'd be where I am now If I hadn't decided to start wearing hijab, it really is the most liberating thing you can do! :smile:

I do think niqab may be slightly unnecessary because it is does not say in the quran you have to wear it but having said that I do admire girls that have the courage to wear it in a society where they will be judged so heavily for wearing it
Original post by Hamesh
You should be able to live your life the way you desire. There are thousands of people out there whom you or I do not know.

Who I or you know is irrelevant, and living how you want is not always good for everyone else around you. :rolleyes:
To believe so is to be very nieve.

The fact that these immigrants do not want to integrate into British society is only going to lead to problems, thus they should rethink why they came to Britain in the first place.

Original post by nad313
I have worn the hijab for a while now and I am 19. I don't think I'd be where I am now If I hadn't decided to start wearing hijab, it really is the most liberating thing you can do! :smile:

I do think niqab may be slightly unnecessary because it is does not say in the quran you have to wear it but having said that I do admire girls that have the courage to wear it in a society where they will be judged so heavily for wearing it

Why do you wear it?
How has it helped you?
How has it been "liberating"?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
I support it 100% and not only for religious reasons, having read Frantz Fanon's Algeria Unveiled, I understand completely the intention and mindset of those who seek to ban it and argue that it's oppressive and backward.
I have no problems with it. People should be able to wear as much, or as little (insert sexface here) as they want.

Although I always wondered, in the very muslim countries where a lot of women were the face veils, how do they tell them apart in the passport photos.
Reply 89
I hate women who wear a head scarf with super skinny jeans or a mini skirt- what is the point?!?
Reply 90
I personally feel that people should be allowed to wear it, but not in certain places (for example, in banks, airports etc.) Also, people who wear it should accept that there may be certain consequences. For example, in my area a jewellers got robbed by three men wearing a niqab (the one where everything is showing but your eyes-not sure if i've got it the right way around or if it's a hijab.) Now if the man who owns that shop then decided (due to his bad experience) that people were not allowed to wear a niqab in his shop anymore, women in niqabs shouldn't be allowed to play the 'race card' or cry discrimination, because at the end of the day it is undeniable that covering everything but your eyes can be a security risk.
Reply 91
Who I or you know is irrelevant, and living how you want is not always good for everyone else around you. :rolleyes:
To believe so is to be very nieve.

The fact that these immigrants do not want to integrate into British society is only going to lead to problems, thus they should rethink why they came to Britain in the first place.

Why do you wear it?
How has it helped you?
How has it been "liberating"?

I wear the hijab because it separates me from a culture where women are treated like crap and objectified. This in itself is liberating. Whether you wear a hijab or not doesn't stop people from integrating into British society.

Also there are loads of British converts to Islam that wear hijab who are not 'immigrants'. Britain prides itself on being a place where people can express themselves and lead the life they choose and that in itself makes up British society

By the way you spelt 'naive' wrong
Original post by nad313
I wear the hijab because it separates me from a culture where women are treated like crap and objectified. This in itself is liberating. Whether you wear a hijab or not doesn't stop people from integrating into British society.

Also there are loads of British converts to Islam that wear hijab who are not 'immigrants'. Britain prides itself on being a place where people can express themselves and lead the life they choose and that in itself makes up British society

By the way you spelt 'naive' wrong

What country are you wearing it in? :confused:
Because last time I checked women in the UK have equal rights and are far from objectified / or want to be objectified and use it to their advantage........
Do you just wear the hijab or do you also have strict rules about clothes and make up?
Also, it does limit your level of integration as it shows how you feel about our culture.

I am sure many non-immigrants wear the hijab, but I am yet to meet one who has not been influenced by their parents or past culture.
Reply 93

I am sure many non-immigrants wear the hijab, but I am yet to meet one who has not been influenced by their parents or past culture.

You need to get out more then and stop judging people before you meet them. My choice to wear the hijab was nothing to do with my parents nor my 'past culture' in fact my dad even discouraged me from wearing it and the only culture I know is the British culture.

Of course no woman wants to be objectified but most men, and not just in Britain, treat women like pieces of meat with no respect for them whatsoever particularly when you cheapen yourself by wearing as little as possible. The hijab is a way to avoid this

Also, hijab is not just a piece of clothing you cover your head with, it is the way you dress and the attitude you take to life and other people.
Reply 94
I don't care about people wearing hij'abs, but people in Niq'abs spook me.
Original post by #Funky
There probably are, however. The numbers are increasing the United Kingdom.

My college is almost 100% Muslim and there's girls who wear Niq'ab and Hij'ab freely.

My views at that it's fine and no one should stop them from covering up.

Really?:s-smilie:

...Oh wait you're from Bham, not really surprising.:lol:
Original post by Diaz89
I support it 100% and not only for religious reasons, having read Frantz Fanon's Algeria Unveiled, I understand completely the intention and mindset of those who seek to ban it and argue that it's oppressive and backward.

Really? I'm curious. What's it about?
Original post by nad313
You need to get out more then and stop judging people before you meet them. My choice to wear the hijab was nothing to do with my parents nor my 'past culture' in fact my dad even discouraged me from wearing it and the only culture I know is the British culture.

Of course no woman wants to be objectified but most men, and not just in Britain, treat women like pieces of meat with no respect for them whatsoever particularly when you cheapen yourself by wearing as little as possible. The hijab is a way to avoid this

Also, hijab is not just a piece of clothing you cover your head with, it is the way you dress and the attitude you take to life and other people.

I am not judging anyone, merely going on experience. To not go on that would make me nieve.

Seriously, why do you think women are looked down on in the UK of all places?

However, if you are a woman and don't want to be treated like a piece of meat then :
a) stop hanging around dicks
b) get a personality. Why most girls are treated as meat is because they have not much going on upstairs. A prime example is girls and general knowledge and their hobbies. most of the time girls have neither making them extremely boring people.

The hijab is an extreme way to force the person to wear decent clothes rather then having fashion sense and self control. You could dress well, attractively, and look sophisticated if you put the time into it.

From the looks of things, the hijab is no more the fat fighters for people's morals rather then weight. If you truly had self control you would be able to get all the benefits of the hijab without having to wear it.
Reply 98
Original post by #Funky
The Niq'ab doesn't prevent intergration. When you're on the phone to customer services and a female agent is on your case you can't see her face right?

It's similar to other methods such as instant messaging and such. What kind of intergration do you think needs to happen?

So the majority of your interactions are with people on the phone or instant messaging.

Hint. Go outside.
I really don't mean to sound racist... But i know for a fact that someone will take it out of proportion...

In Middle-Eastern culture, visitors from Western Civilisation are forced to cover up in respect of that countries culture.... Now isn't it only fair that people of Middle-Eastern culture respect British culture? We see them as being very intimidating and creates the stereotype of Muslims being terrorists... So surely its for the best if they just respect our traditions and stop taking advantage of our leniency... This leniency is only existing because the British are constantly fearing that their thoughts on such foreign culture will upset the person involved... This shouldn't be the case... Fair enough if it was the colour of the skin which was being disputed, that would definitely be out of oder to discriminate against such people... But this is a piece of clothing, which can easily be removed without causing any upset...

The question i would like to put forward is... How come when we enter shops, basic manners tell us to remove head wear, whether it be hats, caps or hoods... Yet Muslims wearing the Niq'ab and Hij'ab are allowed to walk around freely, putting the rest of the public in apprehension? And the passport business is also a load of bull... They are allowed to wear these religious symbols, when specific guidelines tell you to remove all headgear, leaving a clear view of the face and hair...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending