4chan just took down mastercard.com LOL Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Who says they haven't :eek4:
    you're one of them :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iced_dragon_agility)
    Surely its illegal to launch that type of hacker attack on another website
    It depends, historically DDOS attacks have been done for extortion purposes, and so have been prosecuted under extortion laws rather than computer misuse laws.

In this case they're done purely for political purposes and due to the distributed nature on Anonymous it seems unlikely that any particular individual can be prosecuted (as each individual only plays a small part). Possibly they could prosecute whoever proposed the attack but even then it's not exactly clear what law they could be prosecuted under.

I imagine the US will try and draft some sort of law that would make DDOS clearly illegal but it's pretty hard to define the crime without making it a thought-crime (relying upon the intent of the perpetrator) which can be hard to prosecute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traceur)
    This isn't an episode of the Sopranos. It's worldwide and hence the whole world would notice if he 'magically' were to dissapear.
    You mean like David Kelly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Theyve just taken down VISA.COM!!!

That was pretty damn quick, they pretty much counted down to it on twitter. Awesome.

http://twitter.com/Anon_Operation
    Too bad it's down.. Try the new one and hope this would last..

http://twitter.com/OP_Payback
    :cool:

Gosh I think the media really need to know the term "Hacker" and "DDoS attacker" The amateurs are quite rebellious when they were called "Hacker". Just like the student fee protesters.. everything just went nasty. I was at the IRC just now, it was total chaos when one of its 'hive' was disturbed; one group wanted to attack FoxNews; one group on the other hand, said that such attack on Foxnews would destroy the initial meaning of the DDoS; some (admins) just wanna them all to shut the hell up so they can fix their 'hive'... and some idiots even suggested for Facebook. This is what happens when it involves a bunch of punks; a peace protest turned out to be an enraged riot..

However though, this is genuinely caused by the deletion of the 'official' Payback account, this broken the command structure and turned the whole structure into anarchy state. This explains the failed attempt on Amazon.com this afternoon, and possibly the Paypal too (but they were not attack the Paypal main page). Although a poll is created, there were not actual command passed down. At one point the of the IRC title read "HiveMind is Down| You are a herd of cats now, do what you like".

Currently, the target it still the same (Paypal's API).

Matthew Reporting for TSR /out
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to suspect my house mate is Anon, I'll hand him over to the police tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    check this homo out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.