Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happened to gaming? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    late 90s :love:

is Gran Turismo 5 capable of online yet? 30 people in a race or something?
    I Dunno, I went to the dark side of the force with Darth Gates.Did you know the death star has windows 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cold_sky)
    Its true, the gaming industry is dying slowly but surely :/ More and more games churned out that appeal to the short attention spans of the masses that want as much out of it for as little effort and skill as possible. I keep going back to the old games and classics more and more often; Knights and Merchants (still one of the hardest games Ive ever come across, and completely unique), Half Life, Warcraft 3, Starcraft. All the games released now all seem the same, there's rarely any real character. When Majesty was released it did so well because it didnt follow the strategy game stereotype. And when you compare Rome Total War to Empire Total War, you see how dumbed down the series has become..
    I hate this notion that the masses are 'inferior' - their bucks keep the industry alive, which was always the case - permitting developers to invest in niche/innovative titles. As I mentioned in my previous post, i think technology changed the nature of gaming. I don't know the stats, but I'd imagine gamers spend more time playing fewer titles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    When it comes to marketing, are you referring to sales figures primarily? Given the trends we've seen in Wii sale-through this year, do you think that the Wii will ultimately outsell the PS2's 150 million units shipped? (Wii is currently on about half that).
    Nah, when I talk about marketing, I really mean the ad campaigns. Sony never pitched the PS2 to the public as a console for everyone, but they designed it that way. They made the playstation into a home entertainment system. Even the PSP is the same: music, movies, games. They designed it for mass appeal, especially for the less serious gamer, they just never really promoted it that way.

As for the Wii breaking its sales. I think not. The Wii doesn't have the same kind of 3rd party support that the PS3 did, so whilst people may buy the Wii, it has a reputation for being the "less serious" console (an underserved reputation in my opinion, but its valid). This means most of the pretentious gamers who call themselves "hardcore" are actually boycotting the Wii on the basis that it's somehow for "kiddies". Anyone who has played Mad World or No More Heroes will say that's bull****, but perception is a hard thing to change when the ad campaigns don't show us the truth. This means that Nintendo is selling to two people: the "casual" gamer and the Nintendo fan. True gamers will buy the Wii if they want some of the games, but otherwise they will stick to their console of choice. This means a large population of gamers are not going to ever buy the Wii unless something drastically changes.

So, no, the Wii won't match the PS2. Besides which, technology is moving so fast I don't think any of the current gen consoles have that kind of shelf-life anymore. The Wii will be the first one to go as it is underpowered compared to the other two and is losing it's niche with the release of Move and Kinect. I expect the Wii and 360 to start winding down within the next few years and get replaced whilst the PS3 has a long while left in it.

It saddens me that the Wii is so undervalued by most gamers, all because of perception. It has so many good games out there that are begging to be played and most people pass them by cause they think it's for "kiddies" or "casuals".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    And I hate the raggy little doll Sackboy.
    Lol, do you hate on the mario games because of the characterisation of plumbers?

ReputationRep:
    I was drunk when I made this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Remember Daikatana anyone? Of course you don't, it was a heap of crap, and here's the thing. Back in the day there were innovative games with character but Atari still brought our ET the extra terrestrial anyway, despite the fact they knew it was **** hoping brand loyalty would carry them to a profit. It didn't. There have always been good games which will be remembered, mediocre games which will be forgotten and terrible games which will live on to be mocked for ever. Today is no different, there will be era defining games like Portal, Team Fortress 2 and CoD Modern Warfare and piles of mediocre crap that will be forgotten e.g. CoD Black Ops..

ReputationRep:
    I do wish companies would start making engaging single player games again - games have become more and more about the multiplayer and so quality of story telling has gone down...

ReputationRep:
    there are far more casual gamers than hardcore gamers

Computer games designed so that the large majority of people will buy and play them? Who'd've thought it?

ReputationRep:
    in response to the title (as im too sleepy and not a hardcore enough gamer to really comment), i stopped playing games after they stopped making them for the N64. i never moved on, that console and its games still owns my heart. :love:

ReputationRep:
    What a big part is, that older games were shorter at least in certain areas and except strategy and rpg games, so had great comeback appeal, whearas modern games have limited replayability and focus far more on online gaming and treating single players as a short movie.

I owned my first laptop arond 2001 but never had any games for it apart from Sims, wasnt until 2004 I got my first real pc and started online gaming(which was amazing!) and playing point and click games which the PC was amazing for.

There was a big reason the PS1 was the console that changed the idea that gaming was for kids, and hugely that was storytelling mixed with a new quality.

Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7-9 are hard to beat even today and brought true arcade ports of things like Street Fighter games and driving games.

These days its just the same game glossed up and with a few newer features and different plots like the Call Of Duty series.

It also says something when people say they have the best console as it has a blu ray player or avi playbacks as that isnt a gaming feature, that is a media feature and I get REALLY annoyed when people mention that older games even 32 bit, and many under 21's saying 128 bit graphics hurt their eyes!

They are far better than they seem, and in a few years people will say PS3 graphics are bad as its more about art style and framerate than still frames.

ReputationRep:
    Gaming was better in the 1990s.

ReputationRep:
    I'm holding out for Infinity: if that game sees the light of day, I don't think I ever will again.

:sogood:

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of excellent 'modern' games out there. Interestingly though, there seems to be a bit of a recent tendency for the industry to harken back to the old days of gaming - like the Ocarina of Time remake. People are deluded by nostalgia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    There are plenty of excellent 'modern' games out there. Interestingly though, there seems to be a bit of a recent tendency for the industry to harken back to the old days of gaming - like the Ocarina of Time remake. People are deluded by nostalgia.
    To be fair, most people hold it up to be the best Legend of Zelda game ever made and it's a brilliant idea to get people to buy the 3DS. Personally, it's my third favourite. I much prefer the darker Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Úúúúúúúúú, I really need to get my Wii over here so I can have it when Skyward Sword is released.

Hehe, it's a fair point, though. Look how many people clammer for a FFVII remake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    in response to the title (as im too sleepy and not a hardcore enough gamer to really comment), i stopped playing games after they stopped making them for the N64. i never moved on, that console and its games still owns my heart. :love:
    I know what you mean. To me, Rare are more important than Nintendo as to why that remains such an epic console. As well as other genres, they created four 20+ hour platform games for it of which Banjo Kazooie is my favourite. The Gamecube was also great because it had Metroid Prime and Capcom making games for it.

Games magazines used to lovingly follow the production of epic games like these. I've got games magazines that almost moved me to tears with their eloquence and humour - impossible to have such a reaction to many of the identikit games of today which seem to needlessly overcomplicate the graphics and game mechanics when a great art style would be better.
    And that's not even mentioning the games that were made between about 1990 and 1994 which are some of the best ever - Monkey Island, Super Mario World, Sonic the hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country etc.

Now they often seem to emerge overnight fully formed and looking like every cliched Hollywood blockbuster.

At least we've got Uncharted , Heavy Rain, Bioshock : Infinite but it's a big shame that they're not on Nintendo or Sega consoles.

ReputationRep:
    Doom.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it doesn't really bother me. I'm not as much of a "hardcore" gamer as I use to be, but I still play games quite frequently.
    I love some of the old games, and I especially love the new games.
    Things have to adapt to survive. However, I do agree that 'many' (by no means all*), try to get the one-up on major, over-lord titles like Call of Duty, Fallout, Gears of War, Halo etc.
    *Some games, however, go back to basics and what really excited gamers about the original games. This new Bullet-Storm coming out, for example. Its going right back to point-and-shoot fun. Nothing on story, nothing on back-drop. Just balls-out shooting. Left 4 Dead, its sequel and its DLC have attempted, and done very, very well (in my opinion) to do so.
    Game series' don't always drop their ideas, although I agree that its becoming more common.
    Still, people do go back to the older games. And people still buy games that are considered old by today's gaming standards. Call of Duty 4, for example, is now considered, by many gamers, to be an "old game". They've thrown it down there with ground-breaking shooters like Counter Strike Source and I've even heard it commented on as the same age as Goldeneye on the N64 (a game all hard-core FPS players will never lose love for).

So I don't, necessarily, think that all games are dropping out and going for the top-position over colossal game titles like Call of Duty. Though, I must agree, many are indeed doing as you say, and trying simply to just one-up themselves over what's new. Failing to aspire to what gamers love, and instead throwing in needless crap in a poor effort to try and best the over-ruling games.

I think that's what you were trying to say. I was unsure reading your post, but that's the general theme I arrived at.
    Either way, I don't play games as much anymore, but I do still love to play. I, for one, am happy with current games. They provide good action, plot, theme, back-drop, thrills, characters and multiplayers usually.
    I think I understood your argument, and whilst I agree in many cases, in probably an equal number of cases, the developers are going back to the old, solid, good elements by-gone groundbreaking games "use" to have.

Still, good thread. +rep.

ReputationRep:
    take final fantasy 11,12,13 and 14 and I think this is pretty much correct.

As much as i love stuff like cod, gears of war, fallout 3, oblivion and burnout, ff7-10-2 were the best games ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I know what you mean. To me, Rare are more important than Nintendo as to why that remains such an epic console. As well as other genres, they created four 20+ hour platform games for it of which Banjo Kazooie is my favourite. The Gamecube was also great because it had Metroid Prime and Capcom making games for it.

Games magazines used to lovingly follow the production of epic games like these. I've got games magazines that almost moved me to tears with their eloquence and humour - impossible to have such a reaction to many of the identikit games of today which seem to needlessly overcomplicate the graphics and game mechanics when a great art style would be better.
    And that's not even mentioning the games that were made between about 1990 and 1994 which are some of the best ever - Monkey Island, Super Mario World, Sonic the hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country etc.

Now they often seem to emerge overnight fully formed and looking like every cliched Hollywood blockbuster.

At least we've got Uncharted , Heavy Rain, Bioshock : Infinite but it's a big shame that they're not on Nintendo or Sega consoles.

yessss fellow nintendo lover! :love: Rare were my all time favourite game makers ever, they put so much humour and so much love and so much effort in producing the best games. donkey kong, the banjos, goldeneye, perfect dark, even conkers bad fur day (massive poo baddy, how can you not love that?!). i especially love how distinctly british their games were, the humour was just spot on.

and the magazines! me and my brothers got all those N64 mags, whenever they were published (fortnightly? monthly? i dont remember now).

games now look so generic, beautiful and detailed graphics but nothing very distinctive about them. im pretty girlish in my gaming tastes (im a big fan of games with great characters and storylines) so i guess the late 90s consoles and games suit my tastes more. even the PS2 with its FF series and GTA (vice city is too brilliant for words...soundtrack, clothing, setting, riding about in a golf caddy, beating up the skater girls and listening to their reactions haha). i like the quirks, the details of games. i think new modern games and consoles have lost this, lost their soul.

having said that, ive not really gave the Xbox and PS3 much of a chance. the xbox seems too much about the graphics and online gameplay, and the PS3 is priced out of my league. ive tried the Wii and whilst games such as Mario Galaxy (wowww!) are really impressive, it just doesnt compare to the N64 days. i own pretty much every game worth owning of the N64, but that was the beauty of the console: all the games were so playable and so enjoyable. whereas nowadays, the games market is so saturated and filled with rubbish (e.g. movie>game types)..you didnt get that so much with the N64.

wow, bit of a nostalgic, old-person style rant there from me

edit: just been reminded of the Zelda series! majoras mask is one of the greatest games ever created, SUCH good gameplay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    So the fact cant be that older cames can be just as much if not far more fun than modern games?

Maybe its that modern gamers are deluded that newer is better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.