Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-smokers: would you date someone who smokes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    No. nobody in my family ever smoked.

Same here, literally none of my blood relatives that have been alive during my lifetime have smoked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterJomi)
    Would go date a morbidly obese women? If not that all this was for nothing.
    It all depends on the person. Most fatties have a depressing attitude though, as they seem to care too much about their weight. If there was a morbidly obese person, who had an amazing personality and I was attracted to, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorenfors)
    Personally I spent weeks with my smoking aunt and I couldn't get over the smell, but I guess that's individual. However, the smell isn't my main issue.

A couple of **** a day could very well give you lung cancer. The relationship between physical symptoms and amount of cigarettes is very much non-linear. For example: just one cigarette a day puts your risk of heart disease just inbetween that of a smoker and a non-smoker, not 1/10th or so towards that of a smoker like one might think.

Living in a city your whole life isn't nearly as harmful unless you stick your nose in the exhaust pipe. The Center for Disease Control in the US estimated that the average male smoker loses 13.2 years of his life and the average female smoker loses 14.5 years.

Smoking accounts for a minimum of 30% of all cancer deaths, especially in the lungs, voice box, throat, oral cavity, esophagus and bladder but also pancreas, cervix, kidney, stomach, leukemia etc. And that's just half of the deaths related to smoking. If that doesn't kill you there's always heart disease, aneurysms, stroke and chronic bronchitis among others. And if you're lucky enough to make it to 85 in spite of all this your chance of developing lung cancer and dying a painful death is 22% (males, 11% for females). The corresponding number for non-smokers is about 1%.

I should mention that I don't approve of eating too much or drinking too much either. People should be more careful with their bodies. The problem isn't just that bad habits kill you earlier, it's the way you die. Anyone who has ever been really really sick knows that it disrupts their entire life. You can't enjoy anything properly like you used to if you're in pain or can't breathe. And many of the illnesses I've listed will render you weak and handicapped for years before you die.

So, no, I could never be together with someone with that little respect for life. Sure, there's a chance that this person won't die from smoking but just the fact that he knows that he could and still does it is enough for me to say no.

Right now I feel like it's none of my business if people smoke, do drugs, cut themselves or just never brush their teeth (unless it's a bf or family member). But it will be, once I start paying taxes.
    Why thank you. You've given a valid excuse, unlike most people on here, and I respect you for that.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't not date something simply because they smoked... Though I would persuade them to quit and would request that they don't smoke around me.. Can't imagine it'd taste very nice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    have done and would do again, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    noooope

ReputationRep:
    no not seriously, i fing the habit just so revolting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    Same here, literally none of my blood relatives that have been alive during my lifetime have smoked.
    Didn't really put me off my girlfriend though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Didn't really put me off my girlfriend though
    I'd be ashamed to let my family know if my girlfriend smoked so I guess it would be a problem for me :P

ReputationRep:
    Nah...

ReputationRep:
    I'd find it very difficult, I'm the kind of person who holds their breath when walking past smokers outside (I have weirdly sensitive lungs/throat). I'd worry about falling in love or being attracted to a smoker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    I'd be ashamed to let my family know if my girlfriend smoked so I guess it would be a problem for me :P
    Meh. My family don't really care. It's her choice and she isn't always-have-one-in-her-hand type My parents are always very fair about such things.

ReputationRep:
    Sure I would. I find that a man smoking a cigarette is quite sexy. I realise that seems to be a taboo thing to admit to these days! If they were a very heavy smoker it might make me think twice, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Although a smoking guy doesn't turn me on, it isn't a dealbreaker. So yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I probably would. It's not a total turn off for me at all.
    The only thing is, if I got into a serious relationship and really cared about them, I'd probably worry about their health I'd hate the thought of them getting ill and putting their health at risk.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only if they were not an addict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    would 'date' but probably not wifey and definitely not marry
    so there's greater probability in having a wife smoker than getting married to a smoker????

ReputationRep:
    I hate smoking, but once I dated a smoker, she was very fit but the smoking was a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I would

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.