Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who introduced you to your music tastes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    me and only me

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up on a mixture of my parents' music - thanks to my mum I know the lyrics to every Abba song and have an extensive knowledge of classic disco and Elton John, so I can dominate karaoke. Luckily for my sanity my father is a really avid music fan. He owns hundreds of albums and went out of his way to provide me with a 'cultural education' as he calls it. When I was at the stage of wanting to listen to S Club 7 he would make me sit with him and discuss The Smiths and highlight the difference between them and Morissey's solo stuff. At the time I was fairly unwilling but now I am obsessed with pretty much all the music that he introduced me to and am really greatful that I always had good music playing in my house. We would always watch TOTP2 and I think it's because of him that I actually buy CDs instead of downloading everything. To this day he still makes playlists and sends me them. Since he bought an ipod he's been trying to convert all his vinyl to MP3 and as I left home and didn't take most of my CDs with me he's trying to find some stuff that he likes - so far it appears that he has enjoyed one Vampire Weekend track and Gogol Bordello...his knowledge of current music is still probably better than mine though, he introduced to Arctic Monkeys before they got massive.

ReputationRep:
    The internet in general has probably helped form most of my music taste, particularly last.fm.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend (who wasn't my boyfriend at the time.)

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the classic rock i like, my parents but mostly my dad.

ReputationRep:
    Friends suggesting me music, seeing bands live (like as support etc.), actually knowing the person who made the music, things like last.fm suggesting bands, radio occasionally. Generally my friends though.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of all over the place,things I've seen on music channels,read about in magazines. I usually check it out on Youtube and it grows from there.
    I have a lot of friends now who listen to the same music as me and they influence me a lot too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chas)
    In terms of the classic rock i like, my parents but mostly my dad.
    Pretty much the same for me too. Loved looking through his old vinyl and finding Dark Side of the Moon

ReputationRep:
    Originally my dad. Obviously other infleunces like the radio and friends. I think I got into music properly before most people did at primary school.
    Since then I have just discovered a whole variety of things and formed my own tastes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.