Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Will affect you (and myself) for our last two years of study. So that's an extra £5-11k to pay back
    thats just great, now i feel sorry for the medicine applicants(5 years)

(Original post by kbountra)
    Looks like I'm gonna end up camping my way through uni.
    i may have to join you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR-MATT)
    How can people end up paying less under this system?
    Because the repayment threshold is increasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    If Clegg and 21 other Lib Dems had voted against it then they could have stopped it going through and the Liberal Democrats could have saved their asses and won by 1 vote to stop the increase.

Well done Clegg for turning blue !

You could have made a difference seeing as their was a 21 vote majority yet you voted alongside the Tories against your initial pledge.
    It would have actually only taken 11 people to vote against it, that had, for it to have failed to go through.....

Hopefully this is the end of the current fail of a government as more people dcide to rebel...

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
      Not most people. I think its 60% of people will pay more under this system than what they would right now (not sure of exact %, but it was more than 50%).
      And? Ultimately, you are benefiting from the university education, so even then, I don't see why the cost shouldn't be passed to the student.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by beesbees)
      It is actually...
      It is though.
      We now officially have the most expensive public universities in the entire world.
      I meant as a UK student, if you want to go abroad you'll have to pay way more then if you study at home under the new rule. But I'm not sure about the EU though

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tnetinbum)
      Or it's to do with way too many graduates and not enough jobs. The degree you do doesn't always matter if jobs are short.
      But if you cut the number of skilled labourers, when these jobs do eventually materialise, we'll have to bring in foreigners to do them because not enough people will have gone to uni and learnt the skills required.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Silly Goose)
      kthxbai Lib Dems (in 5 years anyway).
      I'm happy the lib dems are in government because they are making the conservatives more progressive. What if the conservatives had the majority? Do you think they would have capped it at £9,000? Would they have raised the threshold to £21,000?

And if we had voted for labour, Gordon Brown would be our prime minister.

I think this coalition is the best we could have hoped for.

ReputationRep:
      I wish students with their knee-jerk reactions would **** off.

You don't have to pay it back until you're earning a decent amount. What exactly is the problem?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the prodigy)
      It would have actually only taken 11 people to vote against it, that had, for it to have failed to go through.....

Hopefully this is the end of the current fail of a government as more people dcide to rebel...
      True. Silly me.

If 11 went from 'putting them up' to 'not increasing' then it would have changed the outcome. You are right. Thanks for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      The result was expected. Awaiting the vote on the minimum fees at £6000 now.
      vote cast. They won it two times!

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
        Afaik, the second passed vote was to agree that for universities to charge over £6k they must protect access for poorer students. It's not a minimum.
        No, all universities have to charge £6000. That is the minimum as they cannot charge £5000, £4000 or whatever.

Though, if they want to go over, they must have financial schemes in place for the most disadvantaged of students.

What is your definition of the word "miniumum"?

The minimum IS £6000 - but to raise it, the university must protect poorer students.

What part of "minimum" do you not comprehend?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TSR-MATT)
        How can people end up paying less under this system?
        Those earning under £21k(?)

ReputationRep:
        This pretty much sums it up:

ReputationRep:
        The coalition:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jb9191)
        Red is always better than blue.

Manchester United > Manchester City
        Liverpool > Everton
        Bloods > Crips
        Coca Cola > Pepsi
        Mario > Sonic
        Charizard > Blastoise
        Raw > Smackdown
        Hot > Cold

The only time blue wins is in Water > Fire - as water puts fire out but even that has a flaw as if a Fire gets to certain temperature it will make Water evaporate so then the fire has won.

Red is the way forward.

Clegg is going backwards by becoming a Blue.
        Lol, one word Chelsea!!! We are going to win the league.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Hana_87)
        Phew! I feel sorry for year 12's though So if a course starts in 2011 and it's a three year course, will they have to pay the higher fees 2012 and 13?

No, it starts from 2012 for new entrants.

ReputationRep:
        I wonder how this will affect architecture students, as we HAVE to do our Master's degree before we can become qualified to practice...

ReputationRep:
        Because the repayment threshold is increasing.
        Yes but by the time the first band of students start paying it back in 2016 that figure will be roughly worth the same amount as the threshold today.

That's just a con to get people to vote for it.

Also as for them saying they will increase the threshold with inflation I cannot see it happening. Now they have got it through they will change all the inconsistencies with their review and alter things to put it in their favour.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
        ahh right : / so Harvard, Princeton, those 'Ivy league' colleges aren't the public ones? Even so, Colleges like the University of California and other major states student fees are still higher than the average university fee in the UK... until now anyway

an I didn't know that, free college for students? That's awesome
        You have to remember that Harvard, Princetown and so on are very wealthy - they offer tons of scholarships to students. Couple, that with higher salaries and cheaper housing the Americans don't get a bad deal.

(Original post by perrytheplatypus)
          It's better to have a more skilled workforce. One of the reasons we're falling behind the rest of the MEDCs is because not enough people are going to university to increase our skilled workforce.
          Yes because graduates in Media/Film are skilled. :rolleyes: (I have seen the course content - it really is appalling).

The problem isn't too many people going to uni, it's people taking degrees like boat studies.
          Hence why the government should scrap Mickey Mouse courses and promote STEM courses.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.