Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles Attacked Watch

ReputationRep:
    If it was America and it was the Presidents car and people started smashing it's windows, all kinds of **** would go down. People would probably get shot, riot police would be using tear gas and rubber bullets.

Here the police can't even use baton's in an angry mob of rioters in case someone gets injured.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello dave)
    If it was America and it was the Presidents car and people started smashing it's windows, all kinds of **** would go down. People would probably get shot, riot police would be using tear gas and rubber bullets.

Here the police can't even use baton's in an angry mob of rioters in case someone gets injured.
    The police were about to draw their guns just before the car got away. This was a very dangerous situation and the protesters are very lucky that none of them were shot

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up Prince Charles! They only vandalised your car with a bit of white paint.

It's not like they deliberately chased your car into a tunnel during the night and murdered you.

ReputationRep:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11967098

Police did use batons (truncheons) and did cause serious injury to a high number of people.

http://rt.com/usa/news/california-be...-tuition-riot/

UK and US students are not that different.

Tear gas would have probably been less damaging and people wouldn't get shot. These are student protests, not Helmand Province.

Also to compare Prince Charles to Barack Obama is pathetic. He's probably one of the most hated people within the Royal Family anyway.

Big up the Queen, William & Harry For Me ! All the other Royal's fail !

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, Camilla got poked in the ribs. Oh no, let's blast them away. Safety off, boys! Have at thee!

ReputationRep:
    Oh boo-hoo, so their pretty little rolls royce got paint splattered all over it, why did they choose to drive through there in the first place? Welcome to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieRayner)
    Oh boo-hoo, so their pretty little rolls royce got paint splattered all over it, why did they choose to drive through there in the first place? Welcome to the real world.
    So if you were innocently driving along a road, you wouldn't mind if a bunch of people threw paint over your car and shouted abusive messages?

ReputationRep:
    Hello? What bloody century are we in? Sure, they are people, but nothing more, nothing less. So don't give them blood pampering. We should have had their heads in the 18th century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NietzschanGuy)
    I enjoyed Boris Johnson's comment about the attack being an insult to democracy, seems a touch ironic when discussing the royals, no?
    Or indeed discussing the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    I agree to an extent. If I was the King I'd make sure there wasn't a royal 'family' and I was the only royal.

I think we always have a need/place for a monarch, but no necessarily all the family.

Technically, he would have been in danger. It also might be appropriate to mention Prince Harry in Afghanistan.
    Of course he would be in danger, that's why. He would be willing to proof himself even at risk of his life for his beloved country. If he does so, I bet almost no one would criticise him and he would have showed his courage. But meanwhile I see no one (except the Queen) worth of being there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11967098

Police did use batons (truncheons) and did cause serious injury to a high number of people.

http://rt.com/usa/news/california-be...-tuition-riot/

UK and US students are not that different.

Tear gas would have probably been less damaging and people wouldn't get shot. These are student protests, not Helmand Province.

Also to compare Prince Charles to Barack Obama is pathetic. He's probably one of the most hated people within the Royal Family anyway.

Big up the Queen, William & Harry For Me ! All the other Royal's fail !
    What? That's exactly my point, the police have used batons and idiots like you go on about 'causing serious injuries'. Have you seen the violence of some of the protesters? they have it coming.

And comparing a member of the royal family to the president is not pathetic.
    Sounds like you need a free uni education to me.

ReputationRep:
    What? That's exactly my point, the police have used batons and idiots like you go on about 'causing serious injuries'. Have you seen the violence of some of the protesters? they have it coming.

Then that is not your point. I said clearly that the police went way over the top by using batons like they did. Don't forget the police are fully grown men whereas a high majority of the protesters were between the ages of 12 and 18 so therefore the police were full on attacking teenagers. One who has had bleeding on his brain, which still could have a serious effect on his future health. That police officer should be ashamed of himself.

In the US the police use tear gas and disperse the crowd - here the police beat people with truncheons, throw them over walls and kettle them. I think its clear to see that the US police force use more common sense and logic. The UK police force is ****ing dumb. They were constantly saying on the news "we don't know why everyone is pushing". Its a bit obvious you thick ******* that a kettled group of people will push in order to get out and not get crushed. I have lost all respect for the police and their severe brutality.

And comparing a member of the royal family to the president is not pathetic.

Yes it really is as one is the US President and one is the member of the Royal Family. They are both in 2 completely different positions.

Sounds like you need a free uni education to me.
    No I don't think so. I achieved very good GCSE's and A levels and will now go on to university to do computer science. Nice generalisation you made their dip****.

ReputationRep:
    Then that is not your point. I said clearly that the police went way over the top by using batons like they did. Don't forget the police are fully grown men whereas a high majority of the protesters were between the ages of 12 and 18 so therefore the police were full on attacking teenagers. One who has had bleeding on his brain, which still could have a serious effect on his future health. That police officer should be ashamed of himself.

In the US the police use tear gas and disperse the crowd - here the police beat people with truncheons, throw them over walls and kettle them. I think its clear to see that the US police force use more common sense and logic. The UK police force is ****ing dumb. They were constantly saying on the news "we don't know why everyone is pushing". Its a bit obvious you thick ******* that a kettled group of people will push in order to get out and not get crushed. I have lost all respect for the police and their severe brutality.

Yes it really is as one is the US President and one is the member of the Royal Family. They are both in 2 completely different positions.
    1. The students were just after trouble, smashing windows, throwing objects, and using fences as riot shields in a violent mannor against the police. Not to mention attacking prince charles car. WTF does he have to do with cuts, chanting 'off with their heads' and 'tory scum' - they were quite clearly just a bunch of hooligans.

Therefore the police are fully in their power to use force against violent attackers. They were not mostly children, that's bull****.

If you were a police office trying to hold a line against a bunch of thugs throwing bricks and paint, battering you with fences and other objects, you'd realise using a baton is perfectly reasonable.

2. You seriously think kettling and a very moderate use of batons is worse than using tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons? My point is police protecting a senior official in the US would use live rounds. If a rioting crowd were trying to get to a government building in the US, **** would go down.

No I don't think so. I achieved very good GCSE's and A levels and will now go on to university to do computer science. Nice generalisation you made their dip****
    "Nice generalisation you made there dip****"

Like I said.. You cant even have even have a proper debate without calling me names.
    Wow. You got good GCSEs and A-levels AND your going to study computer science! I mean.. You must be reallllly intelligent, no one else does that..

ReputationRep:
    1. The students were just after trouble, smashing windows, throwing objects, and using fences as riot shields in a violent mannor against the police. Not to mention attacking prince charles car. WTF does he have to do with cuts, chanting 'off with their heads' and 'tory scum' - they were quite clearly just a bunch of hooligans.

Not all students were looking for trouble, so get that thought out of your head.

Therefore the police are fully in their power to use force against violent attackers. They were not mostly children, that's bull****.

No the fact is police have to use reasonable force. They went way over the top and committed police brutality - a reason why the police force are being investigated.

If you were a police office trying to hold a line against a bunch of thugs throwing bricks and paint, battering you with fences and other objects, you'd realise using a baton is perfectly reasonable.

Yeah because causing serious injuries to students, life threatening injuries is acceptable. The police had riot gear so could have easily defended themselves. The police are a legalised gang hiding behind a badge.

This is acceptable is it?

2. You seriously think kettling and a very moderate use of batons is worse than using tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons? My point is police protecting a senior official in the US would use live rounds. If a rioting crowd were trying to get to a government building in the US, **** would go down.

Yes. Tear gas and rubber bullets will not leave you with severe brain injuries. They wouldn't use live rounds in the US unless they were doing it to someone like Obama. To give Prince Charles the status of anything near Obama is absurd.

"Nice generalisation you made there dip****"

Like I said.. You cant even have even have a proper debate without calling me names.

Yes that's rich coming from someone who told me I need a free education. You are such a hypocrite.

Wow. You got good GCSEs and A-levels AND your going to study computer science! I mean.. You must be reallllly intelligent, no one else does that..

Yeah loads of students do that but you seem to be under the impression all students are violent thugs when they clearly are not and the police went way over the top. Also, I am very intelligent in computing subjects - I doubt you could do quantum theory, quantum physics, calculus, algorithms, etc...

Maybe you should focus your attention to the drug addicts who break into peoples homes for their next fix, high level businessmen who avoid paying tax, people who come straight out of school and go on benefits popping out children for more money etc.... rather than picking on students trying to gain an education without going into a mass amount of debt.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't go way over the top... A few people out of thousands got injured.

The fact they're being investigated is a joke. In this country criminals are always protected over the police.

And yes I think that is acceptable. He must have been attacking the police and involved in the violence to end up like that. You have to expect that if you get involved in violence. You seem to think the police attack people randomly..

IT WAS A RIOT

Rubber bullets are used a lot in the US and are way more deadly than a baton. The kids fine, he shouldn't have been in the violence if he didn't want to get hurt.

Prince Charles is the heir to the throne. Of course he's comparable to high-ranking member of the US government.

Yeah loads of students do that but you seem to be under the impression all students are violent thugs when they clearly are not and the police went way over the top. Also, I am very intelligent in computing subjects - I doubt you could do quantum theory, quantum physics, calculus, algorithms, etc...
    What you mean basic A-level principles?
    You think I'd be expecting to get A*'s in maths, further maths and physics if I couldn't do calculus or any of that stuff you mentioned?

Maybe you should focus your attention to the drug addicts who break into peoples homes for their next fix, high level businessmen who avoid paying tax, people who come straight out of school and go on benefits popping out children for more money etc.... rather than picking on students trying to gain an education without going into a mass amount of debt.[/B]
    No because I realise that the new system is actually fairer than what we have atm.
    It's not like any other type of debt. It's linked to earnings. You'll never not be able to pay it back. If you don't earn £21k you don't pay anything! and even then its £7 a week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    So if you were innocently driving along a road, you wouldn't mind if a bunch of people threw paint over your car and shouted abusive messages?
    Of course I wouldn't be happy, but thats out of context- with what was going on the sensible thing would have been to make another route. I just don't like the hysteria around the incident, when in the long term, it will be the students who suffer the most.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't go way over the top... A few people out of thousands got injured.

1 or 1000 - still doesn't make it okay.

The fact they're being investigated is a joke. In this country criminals are always protected over the police.

Grow up. Yes sometimes criminals do get more protection but the violence from the police showed pure police brutality. Even top police chiefs have said so.

And yes I think that is acceptable. He must have been attacking the police and involved in the violence to end up like that. You have to expect that if you get involved in violence. You seem to think the police attack people randomly..

You may think its acceptable but within the eyes of the law, its classed as police brutality. The police were randomly grabbing students and throwing them over walls. I was at one of the earlier protests and the same happened then.

Don't assume people who got hit were in violence in the first place or looking for it. The day I was out a teenager about 14-16 years old asked to go to the toilet and he was pushed back to the floor.

IT WAS A RIOT

Rubber bullets are used a lot in the US and are way more deadly than a baton. The kids fine, he shouldn't have been in the violence if he didn't want to get hurt.

He could have easily got caught up in it - it happens. You're general assumptions really make you daft.

If I go to a football match and end up stabbed does that mean I was looking for it? No. It is quite possible the trouble comes to me, just as the police did by charging at them with horses, kettling them and hitting them which then meant the students started throwing bits of concrete breeze blocks back in defence. I watched the whole thing.

Also, to say the kid is fine is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on TSR. Remember that woman who banged her head and died several days later? Well this kid suffered serious head injuries which led to bleeding on his brain and could seriously mess up the rest of his life or the future. He hasn't had a full medical assessment yet and its impossible to do one so shortly after such a serious life saving operation.

Prince Charles is the heir to the throne. Of course he's comparable to high-ranking member of the US government.

No he is not. David Cameron is equivalent to Barack Obama. Prince Charles is not even involved. Its about time the Royals were put back in touch with what normal working class Brits have to put up with everyday.

What you mean basic A-level principles? I didn't say basic A level principles - read it again. This time, properly.

You think I'd be expecting to get A*'s in maths, further maths and physics if I couldn't do calculus or any of that stuff you mentioned?

Good for you but I doubt you can work out algorithms in relation to programming and things by doing those courses you just mentioned. All students have different skills just as all students have different mindsets. Some were there to protest without violence yet got caught up in it and ended up being attacked by the Police for no reason, just because the police assumed every student there was looking for trouble.

:facepalm:

No because I realise that the new system is actually fairer than what we have atm.

No its not. How you've come to that assumption is beyond me. Interest compounds on a higher initial debt quicker than it does on a smaller initial sum meaning many who come out of university under the new scheme with approx £45,000 - £50,000 of debt will pay interest of about £1,500 - £2,000 annually before even starting to pay back their loans. The fact is at £7 a week they will not even cover the interest so will continue going into much more debt even on a salary of £21,000. As the average graduate salary is actually around the £24,000 mark, most students will pay back anyway and in the year of 2016 when the first under the new scheme start to pay back the average salary is likely to have gone up. At £24,000 a student won't even service the interest on the debt so it will continue to build.

The more debt you are in then the more trouble in the future you potentially put yourself in.

What is stopping them from changing the system so that those in massive debt have to pay back? Nothing. All it takes is a vote and considering they have the majority vote they can pass anything.

Only a small amount of liberal democrats backed the fee increases and even if they didn't then the outcome wouldn't have been different. The increase still would have gone up as the Tories alone had enough votes.

Damn you are gullible if you think they will stick to their words on the proposed systems and how they are going to offer up to 2 years free for the poorest students. They can easily change that plan and take the £500,000 fine and implement a completely different system as they now know they have the votes.

It's not like any other type of debt. It's linked to earnings. You'll never not be able to pay it back. If you don't earn £21k you don't pay anything! and even then its £7 a week!
    This hasn't even been voted on yet so could quite easily be changed. You must be extremely gullible if you think Cameron is going to stick to that. Now he knows he has a 21 vote majority he will apply changes to the rest of what he has proposed as only the £9000 max tuition fee and £6000 lower end fee has been voted on.

Decisions are still yet to be made and I doubt they will stick to their promises. Especially considering Clegg couldn't even stick to the promises he made before the election :facepalm: Why should we trust him now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieRayner)
    Of course I wouldn't be happy, but thats out of context- with what was going on the sensible thing would have been to make another route. I just don't like the hysteria around the incident, when in the long term, it will be the students who suffer the most.
    Exactly.

The Royal Family are using taxpayers money for security - (YES I'M A TAXPAYER NOW AND WILL BE A STUDENT IN 2011 BEFORE YOU ASSUME ALL STUDENTS ARE SPONGERS WHICH SEEMS TO BE THE THING TO DO FROM THE BRITISH PUBLIC WHO HATE STUDENTS) - and the stupid idiots can't even sort out a diverted route to avoid all the commotion.

Even bloody Google Maps were updated for the protests. I'm pretty sure with all that money the Royals have they could buy a sat nav and choose another route. It's not bloody hard is it?

It was definitely intended to provoke students.

The media & politicians must think we are dumb.

This event has also distracted everyone from the attack on the student that was left with bleeding on the brain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think so. I achieved very good GCSE's and A levels and will now go on to university to do computer science. Nice generalisation you made their dip****.
    Actually the protesters started the violence. It does not matter how old you are if your going to pick up a metal fence and start trying to throw it into he police you deserve to be hit by a baton.

Protesters brought flares glass bottles billard balls and weapons to attack the police. You expect them to sit and take it rather than defending themselves because these people are around 16 to 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Actually the protesters started the violence. It does not matter how old you are if your going to pick up a metal fence and start trying to throw it into he police you deserve to be hit by a baton.

Protesters brought flares glass bottles billard balls and weapons to attack the police. You expect them to sit and take it rather than defending themselves because these people are around 16 to 18?
    Defending yourself does not mean counter attacking and inflicting damage.

The police had riot gear that is capable of taking bullets never mind bits of stone, billiard balls, bottles.

:facepalm:

The police started it all. They were pushing students and started it all again so the students tried everything to break free and did so. The police then charged the crowd with horses which flared everything up. Then the students retaliated by throwing things.

Not all students were looking for violence - you seem to be assuming they were when they clearly were not. Also, if I was being kettled by the police, pushed and forced over then I wouldn't be happy and would retaliate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.