Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

8 police men injured? What about the students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacktabs)
    I think the students deserve everything that they got, pulling a policeman off his horse
    Watch the footage. He was not pulled, he fell.

The police are doing a valuable job and without them I don't want to think what damage these students would have caused.
    Doing a great job of beating people. Smashed windows does not compare to smashed heads of people

The peaceful protestors would not have been on the front lines facing the police and therefore would not have been attacked, and if none of them could see the trouble coming and get out of the way then it is there own fault. Many people would say that some of the protestors facing the police were peaceful as they weren't throwing objects at them but as the video showed they were still trying to push through the police line therefore not protesting peacefully so deserve being forced back and hit with the battons. If only the police were able to do more / use more force against the protestors or had stronger punishments, we are far too soft on people who cause trouble whatever age they may be.
    There was nowhere else for protesters to go. They were stuck in crowds, pushed closer together by police and if they were unlucky enough to be near the front, they were beaten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    A police officer was pulld off his horse and attacked. The protesters attempted to pull police into crowds to beat them. Fireworks were thrown at the police. Barriers were rammed into police line.

The police did not start the violence they did finish it however and are well within their right to.

Everyone has a right to peaceful protest but once those protests turn violent the police have a duty to stop them as well as a right to defend themselves against attacks from the public.
    This quite simply isn't true and it is the same lie David Cameron has been spouting. You can see it in the TV footage from Sky news. I horse becomes scared and chucks its rider off and then tramples on the policeman. There is no student around and it is behind the police lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbadon27)
    Don't blame the police, they were just doing their job
    Beating peaceful people unconcious? Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    someone has to join the riot police!! where would we be if everyone decided they didnt want to deal with a bit of danger? these are people who are willing to put their own lives on the line to protect others and that should be respected!!!!
    yeh originally they have a choice as to whether they go into it or not, but once theyre there they cant just suddenly say 'oh i dont fancy that today sorry!' dont you think they deserve a bit of respect for that?
    They chose to become police, just like nurses choose to become nurses and also deal with a lot of ****. Police can't choose their assignments, like nurses can't choose patients. This does not justify beating innocent people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    The police didn't even go far enough. Where were the dogs, water cannons and rubber bullets? In some countries, there would have been live rounds fired into the crowd.

The anarchist scumbags got it lucky, IMO.
    They're coming next time. Can't wait

The protesters can't be trusted to protest peacefully or even stick to a planned route so the police have every right to expect trouble and thus take necessary precautions, for which the public fully support them, no matter how much The Guardian, BBC, and other left wing mouthpieces try to play the 'poor me' card on behalf of the protesters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    someone has to join the riot police!! where would we be if everyone decided they didnt want to deal with a bit of danger? these are people who are willing to put their own lives on the line to protect others and that should be respected!!!!
    yeh originally they have a choice as to whether they go into it or not, but once theyre there they cant just suddenly say 'oh i dont fancy that today sorry!' dont you think they deserve a bit of respect for that?

if there weren't people who wanted to join the riot police we would be a lot safer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    This quite simply isn't true and it is the same lie David Cameron has been spouting. You can see it in the TV footage from Sky news. I horse becomes scared and chucks its rider off and then tramples on the policeman. There is no student around and it is behind the police lines.
    Yes! Cam's statements do not match with footage of the policeman falling off his horse.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    Yeah m sure the objects being thrown had nothing to do with the horse spooking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah m sure the objects being thrown had nothing to do with the horse spooking

watch from 1:00 onwards. notice how the crowd starts to get angry only after the police charge.

but of course the charge was provoked somehow by the crowd itself. or even better, we dont know because this view is only one angle, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Beating peaceful people unconcious? Yeah.
    Well, when said people are throwing rocks at you...

ReputationRep:
    Well, when said people are throwing rocks at you...
    you arrest them for throwing rocks, you don't just randomly start beating people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    you arrest them for throwing rocks, you don't just randomly start beating people.
    When did they randomly start beating people? When your being attracted you have the right to defend yourself. Or do you think they should of just stood there and do nothing?

ReputationRep:
    When did they randomly start beating people? When your being attracted you have the right to defend yourself. Or do you think they should of just stood there and do nothing?
    ok i have friends who went to protest. I would have gone if i wasn't ill. I know these friends well, they would never act violently throw things at the police etc.

several of them were smacked over the head by the police. another was jumped on by 5 policeman when he asked them why they were taking photos. One was arrested when he saw and gap in the police lines and tried to leave the kettle. He then gave himself up, putting his hands in the air and was punched in the face by the police. HE WAS TRYING TO LEAVE THE AREA FOR CHRIST SAKE!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

watch from 1:00 onwards. notice how the crowd starts to get angry only after the police charge.

but of course the charge was provoked somehow by the crowd itself. or even better, we dont know because this view is only one angle, right?
    Crowd gets angry? What kind of immature ***** are these people. The police tell you to pretty much **** off and respond to a crowd that should be dispersing and so they attack the police. Nice.

Also this video must have been from around 6. After pretty much a afternoon of violence. You don't seem to look at any event as part of a big picture you just see police charge and a tiny bit of footage of one tiny part of the crowd and you assume its peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    ok i have friends who went to protest. I would have gone if i wasn't ill. I know these friends well, they would never act violently throw things at the police etc.

several of them were smacked over the head by the police. another was jumped on by 5 policeman when he asked them why they were taking photos. One was arrested when he saw and gap in the police lines and tried to leave the kettle. He then gave himself up, putting his hands in the air and was punched in the face by the police. HE WAS TRYING TO LEAVE THE AREA FOR CHRIST SAKE!!
    Cool story, bro.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    if there weren't people who wanted to join the riot police we would be a lot safer.
    no we wouldnt!!! what a load of rubbish! without the riot police that day, it would have turned into full scale chaos cos people there were looking for a fight!!
    the type of people who join the riot police are looking to fight to keep people safe from the scum bags of this earth (a lot of whom were at this demonstration)
    without them, a lot more people would have gotten hurt or even killed!

ReputationRep:
    I think its sad that so many people are so quick to say the students deserved it.
    Yes, the violent students deserved to be dealt with. But how on earth can you defend any violence against innocent peaceful protestors? (who made up the vast majority of the protest).

(Original post by amyalisa)
    I dont even understand why people are protesting. Students will be better off under the new system.
    No they won't be. Only the poorest 20%, and the rich kids whos parents pay for their fees upfront will be better off. Normal people will not be better off.

(Original post by W.H.T)
    That's like telling people not to attend football matches because of recent history of hooliganism. Its not an acceptable reason in a democratic and functional country like this one.
    Totally agreed with this.
    I want to go to the Swansea V Cardiff game in Feburary. Yes its a very fierce local derby, one that does have a history of trouble. But why should the fear of trouble stop me from going? The moment we allow fear to stop us from doing what we want, is the moment the hooligans / troublemakers / terrorists / aggressive police officers win.

I think the students deserve everything that they got, pulling a policeman off his horse
    No, he fell off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

Why did the Police charge? Ask yourself that question?

Cause and effect people.....cause and effect....dont aggrevate, antagonise, or provoke and look for a fight if you cant take the beating - simple physics

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has mentioned about the loony that threw the fire extigushier off the Millbank roof.....he didnt even get a conviction.....he should have got attempted murder...obscene behaviour that has marred the whole issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    Do a lovely job too of washing scum off roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnQdK8IskE&feature=fvw and watch about 5 minutes in.
    So they aren't approved for use in England....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11981351

Interestingly Theresa May hasn't clear cut ruled out changing it to allow their use, just saying that she doesn't think anyone wants to see them used. But if the met are in discussion surely they think its needed? I think people would rather see water sprayed at a crowd rather than a load of truncheon wacking/horse charging... or maybe thats just me being silly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.