• View Poll Results: Monarchy or republic
    Monarchy
    57.02%
    Republic
    42.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Isn't that rather contradictive?

You're saying you're a liberalist yet you follow conservative(to preserve tradition/history and culture) beliefs.
    Monarchy is neither conservative nor liberal - it just is. Otherwise, monarchists such as Clement Attlee, George Orwell and Harold Wilson would be marked as Tories by your book

Liberals and conservatives can both treasure and preserve tradition, history and culture.

And there's no shortage of conservative republicans, either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Why must you resort to personal insults?

Because I'm badass. :sly:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitch)
    They're rich because we pay them millions every year.Anyone could be rich in this way
    This! I think I'll just start a monarchy tomorrow, reel in the millions for meself... I say let's get rid of them! Waste of money. The USA receives far more tourists than the UK and they certainly don't have a monarchy. End of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I'm a lefty liberal, and I will always back the Monarchy. The Queen is a credit to the country, to the British people and to the throne.
    Could you get any further up the Queen's hole? Stop acting like you're a slave to people who couldn't care less if you died tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irishmonkey1992)
    This! I think I'll just start a monarchy tomorrow, reel in the millions for meself... I say let's get rid of them! Waste of money. The USA receives far more tourists than the UK and they certainly don't have a monarchy. End of!
    World's only superpower, size of a continent, with every single conceivable climate, vs. a former superpower, size of a US state, predominantly cold, foggy and wet.

Cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Threads been done was monarchy by a landslide
    93 voters so far and 51% disagree with you :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    It's now 50 - 50.

ReputationRep:
    Could you get any further up the Queen's hole? Stop acting like you're a slave to people who couldn't care less if you died tomorrow.
    Could you be any more of a self-righteous twerp? Stop acting like a know-it-all who actually has any idea of what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Well to be honest TSR can't really be considered a cross-section of society

ReputationRep:
    World's only superpower, size of a continent, with every single conceivable climate, vs. a former superpower, size of a US state, predominantly cold, foggy and wet.

Cool.
    Well maybe if the government didn't decide on raising tutition fees, but instead allowed a greater percentage of the population to be educated at higher level. Then maybe there would be a small number of intelligent people who could come up with a cunning idea to attract tourists.

ReputationRep:
    Could you be any more of a self-righteous twerp? Stop acting like a know-it-all who actually has any idea of what they're talking about.
    Excellent comeback dude not. I'll just inform the Queen now of your duties in her favour, she will send you an invitation for tea at the palace. Oh wait, no she won't lol

Being honest, I'm not educated in ****such as this, I actually study subjects which are worthwhile. However, I do have a brave bit of knowledge on the topic, so I'll voice my opinion as much as I like, thank you very much... *******!

ReputationRep:
    If you want them out, it wont happen by a vote. Whos in the mood for a civil war?

ReputationRep:
    As of last year, 76% of people support the monarchy and 18% want a republic (presumably the remaining 6% are unsure) - doesn't this count for anything? In a democracy, surely the majority rules? If most people want the monarchy then surely the monarchy should remain. Makes good sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    As of last year, 76% of people support the monarchy and 18% want a republic (presumably the remaining 6% are unsure) - doesn't this count for anything? In a democracy, surely the majority rules? If most people want the monarchy then surely the monarchy should remain. Makes good sense.
    The majority of the British public want capital punishment. However it would seem that society has transcended the need for archaic and obselete monoliths. Why should the monarchy be exempt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    the problem is, this forum is full of students who are only supportive of 'handouts' if they are given to themselves!

The majority of people in the UK support the monarchy, I would like to think the majority of students do as well but I'm not sure if this is the case.

Good luck abolishing the monarchy anyway, the armed forces have long said that they would be loyal to the monarchy over parliament if push came to shove.

That and it has been proven again and again in the 100000 other threads like this, that the monarchy pay for themselves many, many times over in tourism and tax revenue.

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe if the government didn't decide on raising tutition fees, but instead allowed a greater percentage of the population to be educated at higher level. Then maybe there would be a small number of intelligent people who could come up with a cunning idea to attract tourists.

Oh, I see, so the reason why people like the monarchy is because they're dumb?

Do you have any evidence to back that up, or is it just your prejudice?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent comeback dude not. I'll just inform the Queen now of your duties in her favour, she will send you an invitation for tea at the palace. Oh wait, no she won't lol

Being honest, I'm not educated in sh*t such as this, I actually study subjects which are worthwhile. However, I do have a brave bit of knowledge on the topic, so I'll voice my opinion as much as I like, thank you very much... *sshole!
    I'm only giving as good as you do, mate. If you utter uninformed prejudice, you'll get the same treatment back.

Treat the opposing view with respect though, and I'll give you respect back. Welcome to adulthood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Because the royal family brought in 500 Million in tourism last year
    Alone? really? source?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see, so the reason why people like the monarchy is because they're dumb?

Do you have any evidence to back that up, or is it just your prejudice?
    What the...? Where the hell did you pluck that statement from!? I didn't say anything about the people who support the monarchy having a low intelligence. I simply stated that if the government didn't vote for the tutition fees to rise (as a result, significant drop in University applicants). Therefore there would be more educated people among us to come up with a cunning idea to attract tourists, instead of relying on the monarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    The majority of the British public want capital punishment. However it would seem that society has transcended the need for archaic and obselete monoliths. Why should the monarchy be exempt?
    With respect, capital punishment cannot be compared to a family with a few prestigious titles. You said yourself, they're harmless, and for whatever reason the majority of people in this country support them and what they stand for. That has to be accounted for. It's ironic, but to remove the monarchy would require democracy to be suspended, since they would never be abolished by a vote. Furthermore I'd like to see you try and get our Armed Forces to swear allegiance to a President over the Queen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.